1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Suggestion Get the Link Peddlers out of the Directories section

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by CReed, Oct 25, 2009.

Almost daily in the Directories section, sometimes even in the correct sub-forum there are those offering cheap links on dropped or other previously registered domains with existing foolbar pagerank under the guise of "directory listings."

We all know that these so called "directory owners" are just out to make a fast buck off of a recently acquired domain while the Google foolbar displays some green pixels.

How about moving these link sales to BST where they belong? They're nothing more than that anyway.

It would go along way to help getting the Directories forum back on track and topic.

Believe me, there's no problem with identifying which of these announcements are just someone looking to cash in on their latest domain with foolbar pixels and someone actually registering a domain and attempting to create a directory.

CReed, Oct 25, 2009 IP
    jitendraag and kendall like this.
  2. kendall

kendall Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree. The directories section is the wild west of new owners with dropped domains trying to make a quick buck. Its hard to get any good quality directories anymore. I think they definitely belong in BST. Even better if dp could make a form like the do for websites showing age and such.

kendall, Oct 25, 2009 IP
  3. Brian1970

Brian1970 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Here here, this is a very good suggestion. We could do with a Mod for the directory section, I thought it would be cleaned up when a couple of members were made up to Mods, but it seems not.

This “keep reporting posts” doesn’t help, I’m spending more time reporting than I am posting.

Help us to help you guys and girls, spend some of your time looking at the directory section.:)

Thanks Brian

Brian1970, Oct 25, 2009 IP
    jitendraag likes this.
  4. sawz

sawz Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    if you find someone selling links in an area not reserved for link sales, do report them using the report post button. [​IMG] and it'll be dealt with in the order in which they are received.

sawz, Oct 25, 2009 IP
  5. CReed

CReed Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Do you and the other moderators consider threads such as this one to be link sales?

It's a commercial venture posted as a directory announcement. Nothing more than an attempt to peddle links on a previously registered unrelated domain while the PR lasts. Far from a genuine attempt to create a directory.

There are threads started by some of the same members every time they snatch up a domain with some green pixels hoping to capitalize while the foolbar is still green.

I don't think this activity belongs in the Directories section.

CReed, Oct 25, 2009 IP
  6. Brian1970

Brian1970 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    To me it’s a way of avoiding the rules within the B/S/T forum.

The title “Premium Global Website Directory” and main content link “Premium Global Website Directory” is misleading to say the least. By posting it in the directory section, the selling can avoid the bumping ban.

Thanks brian

7. sawz

sawz Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    yes i would, but the only reason i would is because i went to the site and saw that it costs. we don't have the time to read each individual thread that gets started, we have to depend a lot on you good folks to keep us notified of threads just like that one.

sawz, Oct 25, 2009 IP
  8. malcolm1

malcolm1 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Hello...

I agree that these guys buying dropped domains and making directories then peddling links
    off it should be moved to link sales as thats what they are doing anyway.

I really wish google would just remove the pagerank from dropped domains
    so that this dont happen but that wont happen so..

@ Sawz

Alright will continue to report posts i feel dont belong in catagories (then its up to you guys to decide wether they need moved)

thx
    M1

malcolm1, Oct 25, 2009 IP
    CReed likes this.
  9. hotftuna

hotftuna Active Member

Best Answers:
    CReed-

One one level I agree with you. There are those who try to provide long term value to their customers and do their best to make a living doing so. The guys you are talking about are offering bogus value and that is a problem. It taints the business.

I would not be so quick to categories them as links salesmen. IMHO, all directory activity is about link development. Even DMOZ and Yahoo Directory.

What do you thing about suggesting an area that is private and available only to approved directory owners?

hotftuna, Oct 25, 2009 IP
    CReed likes this.
  10. mrdesigner77@yahoo.com

mrdesigner77@yahoo.com Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i think it is better to put a sticky thread
    showing to noobs how to bust scammers
    i never knew this trick untill i read this thread

mrdesigner77@yahoo.com, Oct 25, 2009 IP
  11. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Agreed. I find myself reporting several posts per day as the Directory forum gets flooded with this thinly disguised garbage.

Increasingly the ruse is that someone wants advice on directory development,then subsequent posts prove they have zero intention of doing any work on this "directory" that is simply a script of empty categories within which a handful of links were once buried. These guys are living proof of why the "You should not own a directory" thread is true. Not sure BST is the place to move them, but we dont have a subforum named "Useless Crap Offered by SOBs That Dont Read the Rules".

robjones, Oct 25, 2009 IP
    CReed likes this.
  12. xc06

xc06 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    How about they use expired high PR domain to make a free directory?

I would suggest, those who make expired domain as directory should clarify this to public if they solicited in directory section, or better as other suggested, move their thread to link sale...

xc06, Oct 25, 2009 IP
    CReed likes this.
  13. malcolm1

malcolm1 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    heheheh hey id visit that section just to drive them nutz like they do to us :D

Good post as always rob... ;)

I simple "check box" in the solicitations section might work, but dont think they would want anyone to know
    they are clearly trying to rip ya off.. so it would have to be from other owners as it makes everyone in directories
    section look like scammers when they do this stuff..

Just so everyone who reads this also knows...

They will also make the directory FREE for a limited time so the alexa ranking is low
    then they offer cheap featured links for about 3 months then they go to Flippa (old sitepoint)
    and try and sell them as good quality directories for a few hundred bucks befre the PR is stripped...

Why is this bad? Its a free directory! Becuase the chances of that directory being around within a year
    are slim to none... and wether it was free or not doesnt matter as you wasted your time in submitting

thx
    m1

Last edited: Oct 25, 2009
    malcolm1, Oct 25, 2009 IP
  14. xc06

xc06 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I can't agree more, I saw a lot of these cases.

xc06, Oct 25, 2009 IP
  15. WallaceYeung

WallaceYeung Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I have nothing to say about the directory QBC,
    anyway simply move this kind of threads to link sale section,
    keep the forum clean,
    don't know if the moderators can listen to the faithful advice?!

WallaceYeung, Oct 25, 2009 IP
    CReed likes this.
  16. swedal

swedal Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I agree when it comes to the dropped domain sites that are sometimes posted there. I would also point out that it is not always pay for review directories that are posted this way. More often than not the directories built on dropped domains are free so they can get their 10k in spammy listings and sell it. Why not delete out the freebies built on dropped domains also?

I think if this were to happen that there would need to be a lot of care shown to ensure they were not deleting solicitations from directories that do not fall into that dropped domain category because there are owners of legitimate directories that do use that section. A directory charging a review fee does not automatically mean that it belongs in the bst section as it could be an actual directory announcement or solicitation.

For example is announcing a new coupon for botw considered something that should go into the paid links area in your opinion? That to me is a legitimate directory making an announcement or solicitation which is what that section is called.

If solely talking about sites built on dropped domains so the owner can make a quick buck cause they stumbled across a pr5 dropped domain then I would agree that those posts should not be allowed.

I could see it as being a tough thing for the mods to police.

swedal, Oct 25, 2009 IP
  17. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Good points by Swedal about it being tough to police. Then again in reviewing my post above I may be referencing a different but related kind of spam in the Directory section than the one Creed was discussing... so my guess is the Directory forum is already pretty tough for the mods to police. Giving them a little more structural support in the way of rules that help define which junk to remove (to leave room for the discussions that're supposed to be there) seems like it might help 'em police it.

robjones, Oct 25, 2009 IP
  18. humm

humm बहादुर बच्चा

Best Answers:
    I would say the directory section of dp has gone from bad to worse and I blame the poor moderation levels to have ruined that section.

Things have gone so worse at 'we' old directory section members don't prefer to hang in there anymore. QBC, fake directories, fake sales, misleading thread and lots more.

I would strongly suggest a proper dedicated moderator for that section who really understands the term 'directory'.

The directory section of dp is day by day loosing its charm. Its high time some action is taken.

I am glad some of our precious directory section members have brought up this thread.

humm, Oct 25, 2009 IP
    CReed and WallaceYeung like this.
  19. Brian1970

Brian1970 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Totally agree, it is the only way that the directory section could improve, as i said before, reporting posts doesn’t work.

Thanks Brian

20. EveryQuery

EveryQuery Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Can mods just insta-ban anyone that posts thread titled:

Brand new PR 5 directory...

or

Brand new 12 year old directory...

I hope and pray that everyone know what kind of game these retards are running, and that they receive little or no paid submissions to there "premium" directories. But there are alot of stupid people out there that probably do get fooled by these scammers.

EveryQuery, Oct 25, 2009 IP