1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why don't CB publishers tend to offer hard copies as upsale?

Discussion in 'ClickBank' started by Smitten, Oct 17, 2009.

I really don't get it;

A few years ago, printing and mailing e-books might have been an unnecessary hassle. I won't argue with that.

But one would think at this day and age, it would be possible to outsource the whole printing process, as to be able to mail customers a hard copy of their e-book purchases, and charge them as little as $10 extra and still get some extra profit out of the deal. I think this could be achieved with minimal effort on the part of the publisher, and I know many customers would enjoy getting this option.

I haven't researched this yet, but I'm pretty SURE there are online printing services out there that will print and bind a book up to 100 pages and mail it anywhere in the world... for less than $10.

So, why isn't offering hard copies of the ebooks as upsale a common practice among CB publishers?

Smitten, Oct 17, 2009 IP
  2. vitalous

vitalous Guest

Best Answers:
    I've seen (and pushed) a couple of products that did offer a printed option, but this usually means two order buttons, and that might turn off some vendors and affiliates.

John

vitalous, Oct 17, 2009 IP
  3. TigerPublishing

TigerPublishing Member

Best Answers:
    I have researched this, and it's harder than you imagine to set up. There are several options:

a) Print large amounts of stock, then either do shipping yourself, or employ someone else to do it. This goes against what many of us are trying to achieve here - "autopilot" (yes I use the term very loosely) income where everything is digital. Plus you're incurring extra overheads in terms of either money or time.

b) Print on-demand when a customer orders your book. Ship it yourself, or if you've found a good on-demand printer they'll ship it for you. This is a much better option but still hard to set up - many printers charge high fees, or can't print in the right sort of format (hardback, paperback, ringbound etc) that your book/product requires. When I was looking for POD services I think I found one that was suitable, but it looked pretty amateur.

Plus, on top of all this I think Clickbank has rules about physical products:

http://www.clickbank.com/help/vendor-help/vendor-basics/selling-basics/what-products-are-allowed/

Specifically this part:

"You may also offer shipped delivery of printed media (for example books, CDs, and DVDs) to customers, provided that it is clearly complimentary and not essential to the operation of the original digitally downloaded product."

So you MUST delivery at least part of the product digitally, then you can offer additional stuff in physical form. This isn't to say you can't sell physical, just that you have to be sure you're working within CBs terms.

TigerPublishing, Oct 18, 2009 IP
  4. Smitten

Smitten Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I will make further research and get back to this thread later when I find something.

However, I have a strong impression that offering hard copies as upsale is the thing to do in 2k10. I bet there's a good online printer / dropshipper out there where it could get it done!

Also, let's not forget that CB recently made some changes that indicate they're leaning towards a whole new placement: the people who create the products in the marketplace are no longer referred to as "publishers", but rather "Vendors". Maybe it could be reasoned they will shift their position as well, on requiring the hard extra to compliment the base digital product. Maybe it could be reasoned that the whole concept of giving the customer a CHOICE is a really nice compliment, in and of itself!

Nowadays, people want OPTIONS, they want to feel they're entitled to choose. I'm sure that a $10 harcopy upsale option would be most welcomed, by the modern day 2010 Internet shopper!

I don't know about you guys, but if I ever get around to developing my own product, I'll definitely go down this route! Anyone wants to help me find a online printing service that could print and ship a good quality paperback and mail it to the customers without us (publishers, I mean -- Vendors) having to really get our hands dirty with toner ink or our tongues dried up from licking stamps?

Smitten, Oct 18, 2009 IP
  5. apples2

apples2 Peon

Best Answers:

Pretty ironic that the Amazon is in the process of the exact opposite upsell. After the purchase of a hardcopy you're given the option to purchase a digital version and download it to your computer.

Only real concern is if the profit margin for each unit is worth the extra hassle. All the "i didn't get the book yet" crap after shipping. You also have to eat the cost on all refunds which will cut into profit margin on upsells.

Is that $1 or $2 profit per upsell worth all the headaches of shipping a hard copy and subsequent customer service problems?

apples2, Oct 18, 2009 IP
    Smitten likes this.
  6. alexa_s

alexa_s Peon

Best Answers:
    I've hardly researched it, either, but I suspect that "less than $20" would be nearer the mark, and that you'd either have high-ish set-up costs or have to commit to a large-ish number being printed, and that it wouldn't be worth it for the relatively small number of upsells of this type that you'd really get. Probably not really worth it, overall, is my impression. I may be wrong.

alexa_s, Oct 18, 2009 IP
  7. myfortune

myfortune Peon

Best Answers:
    The cost of outsourcing a printer and shipping (fulfillment) is not cheap, believe me. Though the concept is practical, I think you would need to add a lot more value to make up for the cost of such services. Maybe considering online chat or live support for the product would be a way to add value.

I have seen other products add monthly membership fees or forum support but the majority of the time, the person that offers that doesn't think about putting time into it to offer real support, they just use it to add value to the product to increase the price of the product.

myfortune, Oct 19, 2009 IP
    Smitten likes this.
  8. venrooy

venrooy Active Member

Best Answers:
    The obvious reason is that clickbank does not allow the sales of any physical products. You'd have to upsell using a different merchant. And by switching merchants, you then cut out the affiliates. It just won't work w/ clickbank.

venrooy, Oct 20, 2009 IP
    Smitten likes this.
  9. IMPackage

IMPackage Active Member

Best Answers:
    People who shop on ClickBank want to have the product immediately downloaded to their hard drive, that the purpose of the clickbank marketplace in the 1st place, so it may not be a good idea to offer hard copies.

IMPackage, Oct 20, 2009 IP
    Smitten likes this.
  10. web_18designer

web_18designer Peon

Best Answers:
    While the idea might be appealing, some publishers do that but use a third party merchant to sell such upsells- reason being is the clickbank refund policy. You wouldnt risk to send a physical book (or anything that costs) and then get a refund (as you know clickbank refund policy is often abused)

By using a third party merchant will mean that affiliates will just get mad to you and just promote another poduct.

Clickbank is about digital delivery of product, why you may ask? its easy and dosent costs the publisher anything if he sells 1 copy or 100, this advantage is wiped out with the concept of sending a physical version (even at an extra cost).

Another important point is, what could be the percentage of customers that really like to pay extra for a hard copy? While I dont have any data my personal opinion is that it wownt be too high. They have the material already in hand, so not everyone would just like to pay extra to get the same thing that they already have - still, some would like it of course.

There are a million things that could be offered as upsell, why not just offer a digital copy of another product as upsell instead? Its easy, dosent add extra work and it keeps the same concept of digital delivery with all the advantages that comes with it.

web_18designer, Oct 20, 2009 IP
    Smitten likes this.
  11. Smitten

Best Answers:
    This is the most satisfying answer out from the bunch! Straight and to the point.

Not to undermine the remaining answers, there are some shapr minds out there and I'm proud they took to time to help me answer this question.

Ps- I still think it would be possible to get it done at a cost of no more than $10 for an ebook up to 100 pages - and that would include shipping! When I find such a service, I'll come back to this thread and point it out.

All the best,
    P.

Smitten, Oct 20, 2009 IP
  12. hash1

hash1 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Probably because the clickbank products are not even worth printing on paper because they are rubbish.

Everything that comes out of clickbank is some ones new hot idea which has a potential to make millions! Please, get real. I pity the fools who purchase those products.

Just my opinion! :D

hash1, Oct 20, 2009 IP
  13. Smitten

Best Answers:
    Well, I pity those fools who prefer wasting 40 hours of research to solve a problem when they could just whip out their credit card and get all the information they need neatly rounded up for them in a nice $40 e-book.

It's just a matter of perspective, but if 40 hours of your time is worth $40 then you're not doing very well in life finantially, and for that you have my pity - you poor uneducated soul!

Smitten, Oct 20, 2009 IP
  14. hash1

hash1 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Aw so laziness is the case here. So your telling me you would rather pay $40 for some half ass research rather than take the time to find it out your self? Also "financially" im fine thank you.

If it takes any one 40 hours to solve a problem thats a good indicator your probably in the wrong field of business.

But what do I know huh?

hash1, Oct 20, 2009 IP
  15. Smitten

Best Answers:
    Some people prefer cooking, some people prefer going to a fancy restaurant. A restaurant that's regarded by one as fancy can be perceived by another as ordinary. All a matter of perspective.

Some people prefer researching, some people prefer buying a fancy ebook. An ebook that's regarded by one as fancy can be perceived by another as half-assed. Again, all a matter of perspective:

which you clearly seem to be lacking, my esteemed... forum user person.

Smitten, Oct 20, 2009 IP