1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Don't waste your 404's

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by RRWH, Aug 15, 2006.

I run a couple of Image hosting sites that I have basically done next to no promotion of for around 3-4 Months. The traffic is steady and they do OK income wise.

3 weeks ago, when checking the stats, I noticed that there were a lot of 404 errors showing up in the logs. This is of course to be expected as older images are purged from time to time.

I took the time to find the referers of some pages where the no-longer existing images were being referred to in order to take a look.

Then, I sat down and looked at how I could use this to my advantage and came up with a Solution.

My solution was pretty simple - whenever a request comes in for an image that is no longer hosted, I built a custom 404 handler. The 404 handler in my case outputs an Image - as an image is what is being requested. Now you may wonder "so what" but here is the crunch. It is not just any image, but an "Advert" for my site.

To See how I have implemented the "Advert" - http://www.4freeimagehost.com/uploads/notanimage.jpg

Then, I went back and looked at some of the pages that were referring to non-existant images again and saw a clear image with my message on it.

Now, today when I have gone and checked my Stats, I noticed something quite surprising. With no other additional promotion of my site, and no other changes at all, I have already Exceeded the previous months unique visitors (and the month is only half over) and the revenue from the site is on track to exceed last month as well.

So, whatever you do, monitor your stats - even on established sites and see how you can better monetise your existing traffic or potential traffic. Why not take 15 minutes and look at your stats and see if you could gain some more "free", Viral adevertising and traffic.

RRWH, Aug 15, 2006 IP
    mopacfan likes this.
  2. TheSyndicate

TheSyndicate Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    i run adsense on my 404 pages so far $ 0 income :)

TheSyndicate, Aug 15, 2006 IP
  3. RRWH

RRWH Active Member

Best Answers:
    No, I am not talking about running Adsense on 404 pages at all - but using the 404 traffic to market your site - and generate more real visitors looking at more real pages.

I would never run adsense on a 404 page unless it had some real content as well.

RRWH, Aug 15, 2006 IP
  4. hextraordinary

hextraordinary Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    RRWH, what you just did is normal practice on all large scale image hosting sites like flickr, imageshake, photobucket, etc. It's not new.

hextraordinary, Aug 15, 2006 IP
  5. RRWH

RRWH Active Member

Best Answers:
    hex -> thanks for the comment, but What I am trying to convey is more of a concept to hopefully help others.

I was trying to point out that a site MAY already be getting some sort of traffic that could be better converted - and that by thinking outside the box - or looking at all alternatives your site could possibly do better with minimal effort.

I was of course trying to show an example of exactly how I acheived this with my particular site.

RRWH, Aug 16, 2006 IP
  6. hextraordinary

hextraordinary Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Sure, it IS a good practice. Viable for these type of sites only.

hextraordinary, Aug 16, 2006 IP
  7. infonote

infonote Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Good idea, Can you tell us the results after a few weeks?

infonote, Aug 16, 2006 IP
  8. Google

Google Peon

Best Answers:
    Actually makes sense..I used to have a simple..'This page does not exist.Click here to proceed' line on 404s...Maybe I'll try something catchy so that visitors visit my high-value pages..

Google, Aug 16, 2006 IP
  9. Xitanto

Xitanto Peon

Best Answers:
    Can I ask how one does this? I have Cpanel, but I don't know if there is an option to do it easily.

Xitanto, Aug 16, 2006 IP
  10. Google

Google Peon

Best Answers:
    Think there should be one link called 'custom error pages'..been sometme since i opened the cpanel

Google, Aug 16, 2006 IP
  11. Icheb

Icheb Peon

Best Answers:
    And you should remove those ads right now.

Icheb, Aug 16, 2006 IP
  12. OutBackPro3

OutBackPro3 Peon

Best Answers:
    Very helpful advice here.... I have never given a thought to my 404 pages. This is "outside the box" thinking and I, for one, appreciate you letting us know.
    I will take a look and see how I might be able to use my 404 pages to create more traffic..... BIG THANKS.:D

OutBackPro3, Aug 16, 2006 IP
  13. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    Agreed, you can't use Adsense on error pages, RTFM.

Anyone that doesn't have a custom 404 page is just throwing away traffic. Many people just close the browser window when they get that ugly 404 not found standard page. At least you should customize that page with your header or logo and provide a link to your homepage, give your visitors a way to get back to your site before they leave forever.

fryman, Aug 16, 2006 IP
  14. chachacallis

chachacallis Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    you should not place ads on 404 pages i think this is againts adsense TOS thats if you are using adsense.

chachacallis, Aug 16, 2006 IP
  15. Icheb

Icheb Peon

Best Answers:
    Now we know why you have 1300 posts. :p

Icheb, Aug 16, 2006 IP
  16. timw

timw Peon

Best Answers:
    Hmm, I wonder how you can do this with leeched images. I tried replacing a leeched image with another image, but this causes an 'infinite loop' as the system thinks the 'another image' is also getting leeched.

timw, Aug 16, 2006 IP
  17. iowadawg

iowadawg Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I thought everyone used custom error pages.
    First thing to set up once the site is hosted.

I have seen some custom error pages that were more fun to read than the site itself.

No adsense, but hey, good for affiliate links, banners, reviews, etc etc

iowadawg, Aug 16, 2006 IP
  18. Icheb

Icheb Peon

Best Answers:
    You have to allow your own domain access. ;)

Icheb, Aug 16, 2006 IP
  19. shashe

shashe Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks much. I never thought about my 404s. I'm going to take your advice. Appreciate your taking the time to share your experience.

P. S. Please note that I the link to your website wasn't active when I tried to click on it.

shashe, Aug 16, 2006 IP
  20. Judd

Judd Active Member

Best Answers:
    Judd, Aug 17, 2006 IP