1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Feature Thread Sort Order

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by digitalpoint, Aug 1, 2009.

1. Helvetii

Helvetii Notable Member

Best Answers:
    If allow any kind of bumping (paid or unpaid) people can't possibly complain as we are only moving to system better than the the previous and current. Sure, some people will accuse DP of "selling out" but then you find that kind of dumb asses everywhere.

See if you provide paid bumping for say $20, someone who's selling a shit product/service which doesn't sell won't be able to afford the fees and his thread will be buried, If there are negative reviews on a thread, the seller will not bump it and it'll be buried. On the other side if a product/service is selling like hot cakes and has lots of good reviews the seller would be able to afford bumps and make a good profit too.
    So eventually only the best products survive. :)
    If you provide free bumping once a day then we essentially go back to the old system where every tom,dick and harry has his thread on Page1.

Thanks for giving us something to look forward to. We'll start bugging Vbulletin for now :p
    Is paid bumping something that you are considering as an option or is it futile for us trying to make a case for it? :eek:

Helvetii, Oct 18, 2009 IP
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    All options are still open, so now *is* the time to make cases for things. :)

digitalpoint, Oct 18, 2009 IP
  3. buffalo

buffalo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Not necessarily. Only the good "expensive" products would survive. Just because something is a low dollar amount, doesn't always mean that it's junk.

Say I am going to do some forum posting and I am offering 100 posts for $10. (no idea what the going rate is for forum posting. I just made that up...) I'm probably not going to pay $20 to bump that thread. But I would still be offering a quality service, and my thread deserves just as much time on the front page as any thing else in the same forum.

buffalo, Oct 18, 2009 IP
    akki313 likes this.
  4. Helvetii

Helvetii Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You made a very valid point. I can think of 3 solutions to that.

1. Allow users to bump their threads for lower prices if they do it from lower pages. eg: If I bump from page 2, I Pay $20, $10 if I bump from page 3 and $5 if I bump from 4 or lower.
    2. Keep rates of bumping different in different section. They may be cheaper for places like content creation and higher for sections like sites and webhosting,traffic.
    3. Keep rate of bumping propotionate to the price of the service/product offered.

Helvetii, Oct 18, 2009 IP
  5. ads2help

ads2help Peon

Best Answers:
    Solution #1 has a problem, different users may have different settings for "Number of posts per page".

Pay per bump might work but I think it requires a lot of work (to modifiy the script)

ads2help, Oct 19, 2009 IP
    akki313 likes this.
  6. Helvetii

Helvetii Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Obviously the forum default will be used. And if PPB is applied then the forum default should go back to 20 or 30.

Helvetii, Oct 19, 2009 IP
  7. Lalit_Burma

Lalit_Burma Active Member

Best Answers:
    Just one thing ...

New things and rules implemented ... everyone will have to learn how it works and how you can get and derive benefit from this.

Smart and strong people always survive and that is universal rule.

Lalit_Burma, Oct 30, 2009 IP
    akki313 likes this.
  8. joshuaadams

joshuaadams Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    So, is this "pay per bump" thing will be implemented??

joshuaadams, Oct 30, 2009 IP
  9. deluxdon

deluxdon Catch Me If You Can...!!!™ Staff

Best Answers:
    Nope. Never. :rolleyes:

DON.

deluxdon, Oct 30, 2009 IP
  10. joelwyn

joelwyn Active Member

Best Answers:
    Exactly, i buy more than sell in DP, seriously it cut down the frequent i visit dp because TO BE FRANK, do some research and you will realize that the BST section is going downhill.

I buy service in DP is not because i want to buy them at the first, is like a free shopping and when i see something i like, i buy it. But the problem now is, i hardly see a good stuff from "Quality seller" nowadays after the implemeting of this default sort order.

I don't even bother to hold a contest anymore in the section because all the good designers that used to be in the section all the time, is no longer there. I mean like the last contest i hold i get a good response and marvelous designs, but if you hold a contest now, you will end up like few participants and is really bad.

The founder build the site, but we(the users) build up the community. Without us, there are no point of having tons of moderators. I bet most of the moderators are happy work more because the forum is crowded than work less because members is leaving.

P/S: If you spend like min 1hour everyday is BST section, you must have realize that 30% of the listing in BST now basically is from the same person which duplicate their thread.
    Compare to last time which we have like 20 brand new listings everyday, we only have lik 14 new listings but 6 duplicate threads. You see my point and spend 1 hour everyday and you will see what i said.

Anyway, the same thing , same opinion, same suggestion had been repeated many many times, and personally i don't think my words will be convincing enough to change anyone's mind. I'm just here to voice up my opinion and feeling toward the new feature.

joelwyn, Nov 6, 2009 IP
    thatsfine and Helvetii like this.
  11. thatsfine

thatsfine Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Hello,
    I agree with you.
    I used to sell services on DP. I had many threads and they were very long. All my clients are happy with me. I was also getting good jobs.
    DP was a heaven for sellers and buyers where people were getting very good quality products and services at reasonable rates. But it has become hell now.
    All these things are because of the change in BST section.
    Duplicate Threads are because the threads don’t come up for long on the 1st and 2nd page.
    Quality Sellers don’t participate because they cant sell their product now. This is because of the increase in the number of scammers and the thread sort order change.
    How BST Should Work to remove scammers and let the buyers find the quality sellers easily:
    ·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]BST section should charge around $20-$30 for each new thread.
    ·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]$20 for each bump.
    ·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]$50 or so for sticky thread for around 7 days or so.
    If these things can be done then the BST section of DP can become heaven again.
    I have started using Warrior Forums to sell my services. They charge $20 for each new thread and It is scammer free. There are many examples like this.
    Thanks

thatsfine, Nov 8, 2009 IP
    joelwyn likes this.
  12. Helvetii

Helvetii Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It's not that simple.

First of all DP is a free marketplace and should remain this way. Everyone should be able to post their threads for free.
    There can be a charge for bumping as it's a way of advertising on DP. Not sure where you got that $50 = 7 day sticky idea from but it ain't gonna work. It's impractical.

Helvetii, Nov 8, 2009 IP
    joelwyn likes this.
  13. salaxzar

salaxzar Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Shawn is totally against paid threads , so thats out of question.

Yea i myself miss the old BST section..As a buyer its a major prob coz earlier we used to look at the length of the thread and the no of replies/reviews before buying any service/product.Now that doesnt happen , so the quality of service/product cant be tested.

The old BST was full of scammers and bumps(which i hate) , but still the quality was there.

The new BST is full of scammers and sadly the quality isnt there.

salaxzar, Nov 8, 2009 IP
    joelwyn likes this.
  14. salaxzar

Best Answers:
    Yes agreed, but then i look at BHW and the quality of BST section there is amazing.They dont have any paid bump system but yes they charge per every new thread.That keeps scammers away and have limited no of threads which provide high quality services/products...

salaxzar, Nov 8, 2009 IP
    thatsfine likes this.
  15. Helvetii

Helvetii Notable Member

Best Answers:
    One can't do anything to prevent scams other than use due diligence. In a paid bumping system people who's products are not good and don't sell would not be able to afford paid bumps so eventually there threads will be buried ;)

We still haven't heard what DP has against paid bumps....

Last edited: Nov 8, 2009
    Helvetii, Nov 8, 2009 IP
  16. salaxzar

Best Answers:
    DP has everything against paid system (dats the prob)..I dont care abt paid threads/bumps etc...i just want old BST backk:D...lol i know it wont happen :p

salaxzar, Nov 8, 2009 IP
    Helvetii likes this.
  17. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    It seems to me that implementing the Prevent Doubleposting mod in the B/S/T forums would be a very simple way to meet almost everyone's goals.

Will.Spencer, Nov 8, 2009 IP
    salaxzar and Helvetii like this.
  18. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Double posting is not really a major problem these days compared to other stuff... so don't really think it would meet everyone's goals to be honest.

digitalpoint, Nov 8, 2009 IP
    thatsfine likes this.
  19. ads2help

ads2help Peon

Best Answers:
    I am both buyer and seller, I changed the thread sort order to the old settings (sort by last post time) and everything is same like before now.

Most buyers (old members) changed the settings too right? Correct me if i am wrong.

ads2help, Nov 8, 2009 IP
  20. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    Ah... but it would enable a switch back to the default thread sorting order. which would meet a lot of people's desires while still meeting many of the goals which led to the thread sort order change.

Will.Spencer, Nov 8, 2009 IP