1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

SEO Question - Redirects

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by WallStreet, Oct 18, 2009.

I have a domain which I am aiming at targeting for the search term of that domain (i,e Search of word1 word2 = word1word2.co.uk). The term is not very competitive, is it possible to get it number one if the domain is a redirect (i,e no content on the website it just redirects to my site)?

WallStreet, Oct 18, 2009 IP
  2. lambda1

lambda1 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Never heard about such a Case in which you get #1 for no Content.But, it is possible actually if the Competition is low.That is how Parked Domains earn Money :)

lambda1, Oct 18, 2009 IP
  3. Feathers

Feathers Peon

Best Answers:
    Depends on the redirect, if you're doing a 301 redirect for example you're telling crawlers (hey, this page has moved here) and in time they will remove that url from there index and forward all existing backlink urls to the 301 redirected source. I would just stick with using some unique quality content and proper on-page\off-page optimization to get the site where you want.

Feathers, Oct 18, 2009 IP
    monfis likes this.
  4. uptraffic

uptraffic Peon

Best Answers:
    might be possible. you can do it otherwise it will be nice experience.

uptraffic, Oct 19, 2009 IP
  5. Cragg

Cragg Guest

Best Answers:
    I'm sure it could work. But i think you'll get better results by using some good content, like has been suggested above.

Cragg, Oct 19, 2009 IP
  6. Canonical

Canonical Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you currently own example.co.uk and you want traffic for "keyword1 keyword2" searches then buying a domain like "keyword1keyword2.co.uk" and 301 redirecting it to example.co.uk will do absolutely NOTHING for you from an SEO perspective if keyword1keyword2.co.uk has no backlinks. The only thing it's going to do is "possibly" get you an occasional visitor if someone just happens to type in keyword1keyword2.co.uk guessing that there might be a site with that domain.

The 301 redirect will forward credit for inbound links to keyword1keyword2.co.uk to example.co.uk. But if keyword1keyword2.co.uk has none, this is worthless. Also, the 301 redirect tells Google to drop keyword1keyword2.co.uk from their index so the keyword1keyword2.co.uk domain will never show in Google's index.

Canonical, Oct 19, 2009 IP
  7. fbwebmaster

fbwebmaster Peon

Best Answers:
    why will you try to do this? domain name does not affect a websites SEO this much.. you can easily accommodate the keywords in your content, title etc etc...

fbwebmaster, Oct 19, 2009 IP
  8. masterwebby

masterwebby Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with fbwebmaster, If competition is low then you can get your existing domain on the first page of SEs. BTW I have blog keyword1keyword2keyword3.com I am ranking on the first page in bing and yahoo for the search term "keyword1 keyword2 keyword3" but in google my blog does not appear. Think over it before proceeding

masterwebby, Oct 19, 2009 IP