1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google Quietly drops pagerank from webmaster tools - GOOD!

Discussion in 'Google' started by Barre Tire, Oct 15, 2009.

1. Barre Tire

Barre Tire Peon

Best Answers:
    I would rather make much more then $2000.00 because I have a valuable site that has content and people are intrested in then worry about what the pr is. If you bank on quality your are making a long term investment that pays off. If you are banking on a quick money maker then that is what you will make but it is not long term. At any given time that PR value can go away but the value you have built will always be there. If Google pulled the plug on pr tommorrow many people who have made money off from it will lose yes however the top sites that add value to the web will go on with business as usual. I am just saying that the made for pr sites or made for adsense sites time is running out.

Barre Tire, Oct 16, 2009 IP
  2. WebshoppeSolutions

WebshoppeSolutions Peon

Best Answers:
    Point taken ..

But my point is such that says, PR can't be played successfully into your business model if there are other websites out there making more money, more often, and with traffic of 10 to 1 to yours, and all the while swaggering up to the serps with a #5 position while yours is at an 8 or a 12 position.

There are plenty of pr2's out there beating the breeches off of the pr7's .. everyday .. both in sales and in traffic ..

So what's this deal about pr again? And why should it be considered so important?

The fact is, that it's not important, but only inasmuch as Google says it is when deciding page rank .. it incidently has nothing to do with how one is positioned in the serps .. quality positions you .. page rank merely provides good distraction for those who still thinks it matters.

WebshoppeSolutions, Oct 16, 2009 IP
  3. kdenisk

kdenisk Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Completely agree. By the way, PR is the only reliable site/page metric at the moment. Google owns it and I don't think it will drop such a good source of webmaster's attention for some questionable reasons.

kdenisk, Oct 16, 2009 IP
  4. boblord666

boblord666 Member

Best Answers:
    To me PR shows that the site is out there promoting itself. For that reason I do take notice of what PR a site has.

If the site has a low PR, it doesn't matter because I can still make a decision of whether the site has value now and may have even more value in the future.

boblord666, Oct 16, 2009 IP
  5. sweetlouise

sweetlouise Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    yes, but this will mean posting 10 screenshots of various different accounts everytime you want to sell a link. the toolbar pr gives a visual representation of most of this data. its only flaw it the lack of update, perhaps if it were updated monthly it would prove to be more useful to webmasters. after all a lot can happen to a website in 3 months and what you think is a good link could have easily turned bad.

sweetlouise, Oct 16, 2009 IP
  6. Vozzek

Vozzek Active Member

Best Answers:
    Nicely put, and I couldn't agree more.

Vozzek, Oct 16, 2009 IP
  7. EvcRo

EvcRo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    it ain't over till google says it's over :D

imo will be hard for google to drop pagerank. its a statement regarding their "god" status who gives grades to mortals (websites).

alexa will be happy if green bar goes away :)

EvcRo, Oct 16, 2009 IP
  8. SeattlePurple

SeattlePurple Peon

Best Answers:
    GOOD! Hopefully people will concentrate now on genuine traffic, not just where it shows up in google.

SeattlePurple, Oct 16, 2009 IP
  9. Barre Tire

Barre Tire Peon

Best Answers:
  10. edesignerz

edesignerz Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Google will not drop page rank, its the core of the algorithm... However, IMO people will not be able to actually see page rank very, very soon... It's gone from webmaster central and it's going to be gone from the toolbar... It only makes sense for Google... It's a great way for Google to combat the war against paid links..

edesignerz, Oct 16, 2009 IP
  11. Barre Tire

Barre Tire Peon

Best Answers:
    Matt Cutts Words

“Personally, I wouldn’t mind removing the PageRank in the Google Toolbar or swapping it with some other indicator, but that would be a large undertaking. Maybe that can be a long-term goal for me. ”

The clock may be ticking from what it sounds like to me....

12. Elmo

Elmo Peon

Best Answers:
    They need it too much, it's tracks every page a webmaster visits when they have that goofy toolbar installed.

But.. so does the Google malware database in browsers, so i guess they have enough tracking power with that now so they can retire Pagerank.

Elmo, Oct 16, 2009 IP
  13. jason830

jason830 Peon

Best Answers:
    PR is a factor that affect the position of our sites on google, now it is removed, how to have a google position on google?Still to build more and more backlinks?

jason830, Oct 16, 2009 IP
  14. Dudayz

Dudayz Peon

Best Answers:
    I’m just glad I stopped obsessing on pagerank (went cold turkey in 2007) so showing vs not showing doesn’t matter much. I still find myself peeking at the toolbar at times, but nothing like in the “old” days. Nice find Barry.

Dudayz, Oct 16, 2009 IP
  15. Barre Tire

Barre Tire Peon

Best Answers:
    Nice :) cold turkey I know it;s tough LOL Any withdrawels?

16. kdenisk

kdenisk Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    kdenisk, Oct 17, 2009 IP
  17. Barre Tire

Barre Tire Peon

Best Answers:
    Here you go direct from Google

Best answer - Susan Moskwa (Google Employee)
    We've been telling people for a long time that they shouldn't focus on PageRank so much; many site owners seem to think it's the most important metric for them to track, which is simply not true. We removed it because we felt it was silly to tell people not to think about it, but then to show them the data, implying that they should look at it. :)

Google webamster forum

Q: My site's PageRank has gone up / gone down / not changed in months!
    A: Don't worry. In fact, don't bother thinking about it. We only update the PageRank displayed in Google Toolbar a few times a year; this is our respectful hint for you to worry less about PageRank, which is just one of over 200 signals that can affect how your site is crawled, indexed and ranked. PageRank is an easy metric to focus on, but just because it's easy doesn't mean it's useful for you as a site owner. If you're looking for metrics, we'd encourage you to check out Analytics, think about conversion rates, ROI (return on investment), relevancy, or other metrics that actually correlate to meaningful gains for your website or business.

Barre Tire, Oct 17, 2009 IP
  18. teamnirvana

teamnirvana Active Member

Best Answers:
    If PR is removed, then there would be a good chance pf people concentrating more on the backlinks rather than improving the PR.

teamnirvana, Oct 17, 2009 IP
  19. Barre Tire

Barre Tire Peon

Best Answers:
    Or maybe compelling content and rellevancy so backlinks come naturally.

Barre Tire, Oct 17, 2009 IP
  20. sitemarker

sitemarker Guest

Best Answers:
    From StomperNet

"Myth #1: PageRank doesn't matter anymore

The REAL Truth: PageRank is how Google orders the web internally. It is what allows them to search 50 billion pages for millions of searchers every day and return results in just a quarter of a second.

When Google was small, the number of relevant results for any query was small. Not anymore. Now the results that could qualify as good results far exceed what anyone wants, so they have to find ways to be even more selective.

As the web continues to grow at a mind-bending rate, you can expect PageRank to actually grow in importance as it is currently the best means to choose among millions of relevant results."

sitemarker, Oct 17, 2009 IP