1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

DMOZ, why are you that way?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by alexander777, Oct 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Why is it so difficult to get DMOZ to post my website.
    I waited and waited .
    Its been months....nothing

alexander777, Oct 15, 2009 IP
    Ivan Bajlo likes this.
  2. EveryQuery

EveryQuery Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    DMOZ has been dead for years now. Don't bother submitting...and if you do, don't bother bothering about ever getting reviewed/listed.

DMOZ's history is full of corruption: editors accepting bribes, editors sabotaging their competitors, certain low-quality sites getting hundreds of internal pages listed while most sites never even get reviewed, the listing of sites promoting suicide or eating disorders, etc...

EveryQuery, Oct 15, 2009 IP
    Ivan Bajlo likes this.
  3. wounded1987

wounded1987 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hey, i think from a research i did, dmoz is too far away from other directories, probably the most popular directory out there, it's free, it gets tons of submissions a day, and the most powerful one too. i think it's like wining a million, the chances to get approved are not as good as in the past, and thus, you should not depend your marketing campaign on being approved on dmoz, just like you shouldn't try being rich wining a lottery.
    in the bottom line, move on and don't think about it too much, there are planty of other ways to promote your website, and after you used those methods..well you can be popular enough and dmoz can even list you by their own

wounded1987, Oct 15, 2009 IP
  4. banless

banless Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't know why they don't just shut the thing down, it is completely worthless. And since everyone there is so greedy they may as well just put a bunch of adsense on everypage, at least that way they could something out of the site instead of it being just for show and tell.

banless, Oct 15, 2009 IP
    EveryQuery likes this.
  5. alistair80

alistair80 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I still have respect for the Open Directory project. The initial thought behind it was noteworthy! However, what happened is that many dMoz editors are webmasters themselves and what they did is list their own sites to the directory or had other peer editors approve them. Then, they realized many were looking for a chance to get listed too...this followed unfair practices around the project. dMoz editors who are still active are probably those who sincerely cared for the project in the first place. Those who were there to get their own sites included or became "volunteers" without thinking of the amount of time that they are willing to devote on something that would not bring them any practical benefit..."left" over time and went on with their own business. It does take a lot of time to get listed because the review is entirely dependent on editor activitiy in a particular category. The guidelines being stringent, many sites submitted perhaps will never get listed. I just think there is no point in 'blaming' the project itself...some people are lazy, others are full of personal interest...they just want their part of the cake. That's it!

alistair80, Oct 15, 2009 IP
    EveryQuery likes this.
  6. Dudayz

Dudayz Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes same happened with me.. because in past month my blog was not received in DMOZ !

Dudayz, Oct 16, 2009 IP
  7. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Because you either need to know someone, or be an editor to get your own sites listed. No, it was not always that way, but has been for some time.

Don't put that much merit in DMOZ. Being in there does not mean what it once did.

Mia, Oct 16, 2009 IP
    Qryztufre likes this.
  8. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Well hopefully you were more careful in placing your submission there than in placing your thread here. :p
    There's a Dmoz sub-forum for these issues. When you get there... check the sticky at the top for info that applies to your question.

~ Good luck on your app. I wouldn't lose sleep over it either way. :)

Note:
    Not red-repping for the misplaced thread cause you'll have enough fun once it goes to the right place. May I helpfully suggest wearing kevlar?

robjones, Oct 16, 2009 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.