1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Someone explain this to me...Absurdity

Discussion in 'Publisher Network' started by imagenesis, Aug 13, 2006.

*screenshot removed but it pretty showed stats with .61 RPC and 30 clicks generating $20**

Those are the stats of an individual selling a site. As you can see the RPC is around $.60. Now today, wtih quite a bit of advertising, which turned out to be a waste (because of the absurdity) I managed to get 48 clicks on one of my sites. However, I only made five freakin dollars. Now for the record, the ads displayed on that individuals site are almost identical to the ones on mine... Why am I being payed so much less? PS, I am very new to YPN, got an account around 2 weeks ago, and today was my first day generating any significant ammount of clicks...

Have the rates just sky rocketed down the last few days (the 11th and 12th) or does YPN do the samething, like Adsense, put you in a hole if your clicks dont convert or something...? I am sooo confused...

imagenesis, Aug 13, 2006 IP
  2. karagold

karagold Peon

Best Answers:
    too many factors to consider, but what you would have to compare is which ads were clicked (comparatively speaking between sites) and whether they were considered "valid" clicks. so, while you may have more clicks, they may be for lower paying advertisers than the other sites clicks and they may be invalid for whatever reason (int traffic, etc).

also, rates have been steadily falling all last week. but this seems to be for alot of publishers. i havnt heard anything regarding ypn smartpricing and i doubt they have that yet.

as always, jmo (whatever it may be worth)

karagold, Aug 13, 2006 IP
  3. SkiRat44

SkiRat44 Peon

Best Answers:
    Um, how do you know that you have received 48 clicks so far today?

SkiRat44, Aug 13, 2006 IP
  4. dshah

dshah Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think its very risky to use marketing for YPN sites, YPN has fickle targeting, RPC and CTR, you never know if your experiment will work or not

dshah, Aug 13, 2006 IP
  5. mjewel

mjewel Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    The ads may be the same, but you don't know what keyword on your site is triggering them. An advertiser may bid different amounts on blue widgets and furry blue widgets - with the same exact ad showing. Yahoo determines if your site is about "blue widgets" or "blue furry widgets" and this is going to affect what you are paid. You have no way to tell which one and yahoo isn't going to tell you.

Prices can also vary by the hour as different bidders drop out, start up, or use their daily budget up. A single ad not running on your site can drop prices by a considerable amount (even 2/3). There are too many factors to try and duplicate what someone else is getting per click, and even if you could, it is going to vary every day.

Duplicate clicks, International clicks, etc. will also play a role. It is not uncommon to see a drop of 50% in PPC average from one day to the next. You cannot accurately predict what you will be paid from day to day, even on sites that get thousands of clicks per day.

A lot of YPN sites have seen pretty drastic drops in RPC this last week. Advertisers may be cutting back in August, or Yahoo may be taking a bigger cut. Who knows.

mjewel, Aug 13, 2006 IP
  6. mika123

mika123 Peon

Best Answers:
    it depends on too many factors... the ads that are showing up on your website, the time of clicks, etc. but there shouldn't be that much difference in RPC...

mika123, Aug 13, 2006 IP
  7. d16man

d16man Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You could always do like a friend of mine did and click your ads to find out which one pays what...however, like him, you may not be in YPN for very long...

d16man, Aug 14, 2006 IP
  8. tanoanian

tanoanian Active Member

Best Answers:
    Easy...try adsense gold

tanoanian, Aug 15, 2006 IP
  9. SkiRat44

SkiRat44 Peon

Best Answers:
    This is a forum for YPN.

SkiRat44, Aug 15, 2006 IP
  10. tanoanian

tanoanian Active Member

Best Answers:
    Do you think? Duuuuuuhhh

Adsense gold also happens to track YPN.

11. SkiRat44

SkiRat44 Peon

Best Answers:
    Then it should be called YPN Gold then. My bad for not knowing what it was...

SkiRat44, Aug 15, 2006 IP
  12. tanoanian

tanoanian Active Member

Best Answers:
    It actually does both...which is cool if you rotate Adsense/YPN with phpadsnew.

It tells you which ads they click on, time/date, their IP, who referred them, what keywords they searched for...useful stuff.

13. karagold

karagold Peon

Best Answers:
    its inaccurate with ypn... at least for me it is. i have also found it to slow down page load times.

karagold, Aug 15, 2006 IP