1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Rules What do you do with Obvious Scammers?

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Helvetii, Oct 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    I remember reading a post by one of the staff that scammers are banned on a daily basis but we don't see it.

I'm interested in knowing if any action will be taken if I can direct you to a habitual (not someone who had just one or two bad deals) and obvious scammer (both as buyer and seller)?

Said user continues to do business on the forum (in 5 figures) despite being proved as a scammer repeatedly on several threads by several users.

I'll post the username and other info over here only if its of any use as don't want a "Attacking other member" infraction for a futile effort.

I have been a victim too and I don't get my money back by reporting the member, I am just doing it for the good of the forum and its members as the user continues to scam people in *big* deals.

Helvetii, Oct 13, 2009 IP
  2. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    We do not get involved in private business disputes. That's up to members to leave the negative reviews in the appropriate places and to do research on people they plan to do business with.

We do ban people for spamming or doing things like selling illegal products, faking PR for site / link sales if if there's proof, phishing to try to hack user accounts, etc -- the bigger general problems. Those issues related to individual deals are between the individual members.

jhmattern, Oct 13, 2009 IP
  3. sharemalaysia

sharemalaysia Member

Best Answers:
    Banned user had did the real big mistake in DP,.

Sell and buy activity is just normal, why the people still expected those like scammed?

sharemalaysia, Oct 13, 2009 IP
  4. MaryMary

MaryMary Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Helvetii why didn't you leave a negative Itrader if you are a victim too? That is the real way to protect members.

MaryMary, Oct 13, 2009 IP
  5. Helvetii

Helvetii Notable Member

Best Answers:
    And get back one myself? :)

How would something like "He's a scammer!! Cheat!! Stole my Money!! Muther F****!!" Look on my itrader page? :)

6. Brian1970

Brian1970 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I can understand your frustration and also why you would want to warn others of your bad experience with that guy, your comments in his threads could be constituted as harassment/thread high jacking.

People that don’t leave an Itrader for a bad deal are part of the problem, this is why people get scammed, a quick glance of his Itrader and all looks well. His has one red from a banned member.

If you’re not prepared to leave feedback, you shouldn’t be posting this.

Thanks Brian

Brian1970, Oct 13, 2009 IP
    MaryMary likes this.
  7. Helvetii

Helvetii Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Firstly, I'm not frustrated, and yeah I saw that you reported a post, probably mine. Damn I couldn't get onto the "Spy" soon enough.
    But if 1 infraction point for me saves someone $10,000 then I guess its worth it :)
    From a Quick look on the itraders you have left, it doesn't seem as if you left a -ve ever. I could be wrong but it's really amazing that you never had a bad deal amongst so many you have been involved in during your long stay at DP ........:rolleyes:

8. MaryMary

Best Answers:
    I would think that you would be willing to take the negative in order to keep others from doing business with him. If he was to leave you one, potential clients would look into the negative further to see that it was in retaliation (or at least I would) and it wouldn't keep me from doing business with you.

As Brian said above, a quick glance at his itrader and everything looks fine.

9. Helvetii

Helvetii Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I did make a suggestion to make that "looking into" easier and had it been implemented I (and others) would be more inclined to leave proper feedback.
    BTW the point I wished to discuss was what do you do with obvious scammers?
    I don't think its possible to make it more obvious :)

10. MaryMary

Best Answers:

I think Jen already answered that question above ;) We don't get involved and it's up to each individual member to do their own research on who they do business with.

DP has a community self-policing policy (itrader) but if people won't use it, we can't do anything about it.

11. Brian1970

Brian1970 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Firstly don’t make false allegations (Mods please feel free check and confirm that I did not report any posts today)

And for the record “What do you call a bad deal?” If I purchase something form eBay and it turns out that I have had a bad purchase, I will try to resolve the matter, if the matter is resolve then what is the need in leaving bad feedback? (my ebay account)

If you purchase something from me and then you decide that it’s not for you and i give you a full refund, would you call me a scammer?

I also don’t recall any post that I have made attacking members or asking for others to resolve a problem that I’m not trying to resolve myself!

Thanks Brian

12. Brandon Sheley

Brandon Sheley Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    on my site I ban them and forget about them
    I don't like much drama

Brandon Sheley, Oct 13, 2009 IP
  13. Helvetii

Helvetii Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I didn't make any false allegations, your current activity was "reporting post" for a few minutes before posting the message, so my assumption. Also did you notice the word probably over there?

I also never called you a scammer.....

And since everyone is ganging up on me (yeah, I know its ironic:p) I see fit to leave this thread. I have done whatever I realistically could have done.
    How FreindlyGuy must be chuckling to himself now............:rolleyes:

14. MaryMary

Best Answers:
    No one is ganging up on you!

The right thing to have done instead of starting this thread would have been to leave the appropriate feedback for the deal you were involved in with him.

I appreciate the fact that you care about the members of DP but the itrader is in place for a reason, and everyone should use it.

I noticed that the user in question didn't leave a retaliatory feedback for the negative he currently has, so I would advise you to leave him one with details you think people should know about your particular deal with him.

Brian1970 likes this.
  15. Brian1970

Brian1970 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The spy is a fun feature, it isn’t always true. If I click on report post or quick reply, it may show me as doing something that I’m not. Until I hit the submit button, I’m only viewing the said page.

Now back on topic.

My reply to your post was meant to be helpful to you and others, if all the people that had allegedly been scammed left an Itrader then people wouldn’t/shouldn’t deal with him. People may be less likely to scam you in the future as there know what they would get from you.

Thanks Brian

16. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Look. We don't get involved in member disputes, and that's pretty much all there is to it. Bad deals are he said / she said issues, and it's not within the scope of the staff's job here to make judgment calls on private deals - it's our job to make sure members abide by the rules of the community (which include no warez, phishing, accessing others' accounts, creating multiple accounts in order to hype one up in order to scam people, etc.). Those are the "general issues" we address. Getting involved in those he said / she said situations within private disputes is just not going to happen. It's every member's responsibility to thoroughly research the people they do business with just as it's their responsibility offline. DP is a platform, and everyone who chooses to do business using the platform does so at their own risk. We give members two places to leave negative feedback -- iTrader and in the deal thread they took part in. If they're that concerned about protecting others (and themselves) then they'll use them.

jhmattern, Oct 13, 2009 IP
    Helvetii likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.