1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to promote directory site?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by yugam, Oct 8, 2009.

Hello everyone,

I am going to make a directory website. Can any one tell me how to promote directory website. How I will increase PR of category pages?

Thanks in advance.

yugam, Oct 8, 2009 IP
  2. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The question is asked frequently. Fastest way to get answers... master the Search button instead of recreating the wheel. Note results for search term "promote directory".

[​IMG]

Seriously, if there's an ongoing thread on the topic, it isn't helpful to create another.

Attached Files:

robjones, Oct 8, 2009 IP
    msolution likes this.
  3. Daniel Tan

Daniel Tan Peon

Best Answers:
    You have to do a lot of link building to build up your PR. Directory sells by their PR.

The best and fastest way to get more exposure is to do Web 2.0 Domination Linkwheel creations. You can PM me for this if you want to.

Daniel Tan, Oct 8, 2009 IP
  4. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    First i would follow Robs advice.

Secondly i would ask, are you intending to spend money to promote your directory or to do it all completely free?

Third, have you been advised to get PR to category pages once it is setup?

pipes, Oct 8, 2009 IP
  5. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    No they dont mate.

pipes, Oct 8, 2009 IP
  6. WallaceYeung

WallaceYeung Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    for the poor directories, they do sell PR. ;)
    PR is not the selling point, never claim what PR your directory is, it's outdated.

WallaceYeung, Oct 8, 2009 IP
  7. jitendraag

jitendraag Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Your promotion strategy will depend on a lot of things including type of directory (free / paid), regional, niche or general directory or business directory.

Free directories just need a 'nudge' though you need a lot of branding and advertising for paid directories.

jitendraag, Oct 9, 2009 IP
    msolution likes this.
  8. CReed

CReed Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Ever thought about creating a resource that's worthwhile enough to link to on its own? Educational institutions, professional organizations and government agencies list quality resources for their visitors/users.

I wouldn't waste my time "promoting" a directory on discussion forums - all you're doing is inviting submissions of some of the most worthless crap and increasing your work load.

CReed, Oct 9, 2009 IP
    Brian1970, msolution and vegabond like this.
  9. Brian1970

Brian1970 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Might have done in the past, this isn’t the case now.

Thanks Brian

Brian1970, Oct 10, 2009 IP
    msolution likes this.
  10. msolution

msolution Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    theres some green for that! ... gone were the good old days, ... now its back to the grind of getting some real traffic and links!

M.

msolution, Oct 13, 2009 IP
  11. sjr4x4

sjr4x4 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well as the point of a directory is supposedly business/website promotion, I'd maybe rethink if this is the right market for you to enter? Its a seriously crowded and competitive space.

Thats assuming your in it for the long haul? :eek:

sjr4x4, Oct 13, 2009 IP
  12. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    First and foremost I would say promoting a directory via other directories is a great way to get started. Also, looking at webmaster forums, and specifically directory related forums like Vilesilencer.com to start is another good way to get the ball rolling.

Word of mouth is always the best way though. Once you get that name recognition, the listings never stop.

Just make sure you stick with it, and continue to update your directory. There are more than enough fly by night one hit wonder directories out there. The ones that stick are the ones that are kept clean and current!

Mia, Oct 13, 2009 IP
  13. hotftuna

hotftuna Active Member

Best Answers:
    There are thousands of directories out there. I find that branding is helpful long-term.

hotftuna, Oct 13, 2009 IP
  14. robconors

robconors Peon

Best Answers:
    The most important thing you should know when building a directory is to check guidelines and read lots of postings on how to build a SE friendly directory, and get some info on why so many directories are getting penalized by Google. This can save you lots of time and nerves.

robconors, Oct 13, 2009 IP
  15. tstewart

tstewart Peon

Best Answers:
    Submit it to VMoption and any other directory site.....

tstewart, Oct 13, 2009 IP
  16. newlogo

newlogo Peon

Best Answers:
    send your directory to seo people by email marketing or sms marketing.

newlogo, Oct 13, 2009 IP
  17. Byg Cat

Byg Cat Peon

Best Answers:
    I think u need to start Two Way link building with other directories. I am also a new web directory owner. Also started a thread on the same theme. Somebody sent a PM to me about Two Way link building and now m getting good results.
    If you are ready then start with my new directory :- www.byglist.com

Just submit as reciprocal link and place my link on your directory. Also follow the same with other directories. If you find some other peoples doing the same then please let me know. It will be beneficial to both of us....

Cheers
    Byg Cat

Last edited: Oct 14, 2009
    Byg Cat, Oct 14, 2009 IP
  18. swedal

swedal Notable Member

Best Answers:
    True... Yet it is extremely rare that this is done anymore. Why is it that many directory owners now days don't want to follow their own advice and submit their own directory? It is mind boggling.

It confuses me as to why a "directory" owner would need to ask such a basic question with such an obvious answer. It confuses me as to why most directory owners don't follow their own advice. Your a "directory" owner - You want others to submit their sites to your directory. For what purpose should they do that? To gain additional exposure and promote their sites. Maybe you should submit your own directory to quality directories eh???

It really amazes me the threads that are started here sometimes. People ask this question at least weekly.

One of the reasons that directories exist is to gain exposure for their listings. If the directory owner has not already done the research on how to promote a directory just what are they doing running a directory - all the while touting submit here to promote your site and gain additional exposure??? :eek:

swedal, Oct 14, 2009 IP
    iowadawg likes this.
  19. iowadawg

iowadawg Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I have to agree that when it comes to submitting to directories, directory owners are the worst.
    Open up a directory just for directories and it is surprising how many directory owners asking for submissions here will not spend time submitting their own directory.

iowadawg, Oct 14, 2009 IP
  20. arshid

arshid Peon

Best Answers:
    you will need alot of quality back links+submission in alot of free directories+spending some bucks on other paid directories for links..

arshid, Oct 15, 2009 IP