1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Recommend an EFFICIENT Wordpress Theme?

Discussion in 'WordPress' started by Corwin, Oct 7, 2009.

I like the convenience of using WordPress, but I'm really not impressed with the HTML it produces, and the anal use of a dedicated style for everything instead of reusing styles.

My websites that make me the most money load FAST because my styles and HTML formatting are cut to the bare bone. I'll spend a hour to remove 200 formatting characters and still the page looks exactly the same. I develop like Google who says that 20% of users out there are on slow connections so they design for dialup (look it up - it's in Google's annual report!).

Can anyone recommend an efficient WordPress theme? By efficient, I mean a theme that doesn't require a loooooong css file and only sparsely uses HTML.

Corwin, Oct 7, 2009 IP
    Helvetii and ApocalypseXL like this.
  2. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    The things is, you can only strip things back so far until a site starts looking boring and old fashioned.

You could go for the default WP theme but keep in mind that things still need to be positioned.

It might be better for you to pass on using WP.

pipes, Oct 8, 2009 IP
  3. Corwin

Corwin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Of course.

As a side note, CraigsList looks boring and old fashioned. You need to know when that look makes sense, and when it doesn't.

Corwin, Oct 8, 2009 IP
  4. gandham

gandham Peon

Best Answers:
    gandham, Oct 10, 2009 IP
    Corwin likes this.
  5. Dan Schulz

Dan Schulz Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm in the process of creating a WordPress Theme Framework that uses the bare minimum of code necessary to get the job done. Depending on how good you are with CSS (and I do mean "almost Godlike" here) it may work for you.

I'll be more than happy to let you try out what I have if you want. (This applies to the OP only.) I've still got to optimize (read: rewrite) the archive.php and comments.php files and add a PHP function that will allow the user to add a custom logo, and deal with a few lingering security and SEO issues, but it's almost ready for prime time.

Dan Schulz, Oct 10, 2009 IP
  6. david_web

david_web Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Minimal themes, are the ones you are looking for I think. Do check out popular theme sites like elegant themes. And 9scratching head) do check my own one at http://getwp.in

david_web, Oct 11, 2009 IP
  7. Domino

Domino Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Domino, Oct 11, 2009 IP
  8. Dan Schulz

Dan Schulz Peon

Best Answers:
    What I'm working on is (mainly on the HTML/CSS side, for now anyway) going to blow that out of the water. Oh, and it'll be free (probably released under an MIT license).

</offtopic>

Dan Schulz, Oct 11, 2009 IP
  9. waziuz

waziuz Active Member

Best Answers:
    Wordpress would still take a bit more time to load than basic HTML websites because it needs to call up the database and it takes a bit of time while basic HTML templates do not need to call up anything

^^^^^

Dan hope to see your theme soon. Sounds great. If it is better than Brian (studiopress) with similar functions then it would be really great.

waziuz, Oct 11, 2009 IP
  10. Dan Schulz

Dan Schulz Peon

Best Answers:
    I haven't bought any of Brian's Themes so I wouldn't know what the back-end looks like. My project was started to primarily meet my needs, but is being expanded to provide a starting point for other Theme developers. :)

Dan Schulz, Oct 11, 2009 IP
  11. Corwin

Corwin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Corwin, Oct 11, 2009 IP