1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

IE 8 is more powerful than firefox?

Discussion in 'Bing' started by tonis, May 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Corwin

Corwin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Once again, "drhowarddrfine" seems to clearly be too inexperienced to understand what "open source" means, especially in my original context.

Open Source is applicable when you are building a project and you use freely available, "open source" source code (as opposed to buying source code). Embedded Linux is the perfect example.

Google and IBM et al are not modifying source code - they are using a complete browser application that is coming from a responsible organization (Mozilla). Mozilla will be happy to make source code modifications to Firefox for them - for a fee, of course, because THAT IS THEIR BUSINESS MODEL! :p It's too expensive for these companies to learn Firefox's source code and modify it themselves. That's the hidden, expensive cost of open source - the cost of labor to learn the source code is dramatically more expen$ive than outsourcing the task to someone familiar with the source code. Right?

I'm guessing that "drhowarddrfine" has never had to calculate the cost of labor for an in-house engineering team and balanced that against outsourcing, like I have.

I dare say that a very, very, very small percentage of Firefox users are spending their days modifying Firefox source code, don't you think?

So, the next time "drhowarddrfine" tries to discuss the open source business model, or other things he doesn't understand, I think that it's obvious he's coming from a place of complete inexperience.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2009
    Corwin, Oct 2, 2009 IP
  2. zgerm

zgerm Peon

Best Answers:
    I still using firefox as my default browser and, yea, IE8 has changed a lot from the previous version but it seems nothing new to me, it just use a lot of space to install IE. Some more firefox is regularly updated their software.

zgerm, Oct 6, 2009 IP
  3. musicguru

musicguru Guest

Best Answers:
    Really? ie8 is as powerful as Minesweeper or MSPaint

musicguru, Oct 6, 2009 IP
  4. cottonian_2005

cottonian_2005 Peon

Best Answers:
    Chrome is the best. IE 8 should now be gracefully retired.

cottonian_2005, Oct 6, 2009 IP
  5. Wiz Bizniz

Wiz Bizniz Peon

Best Answers:
    Nope. IE is cluttered as usual and slow like a snail. So simply no for me.

Wiz Bizniz, Oct 6, 2009 IP
  6. musicguru

musicguru Guest

Best Answers:
    Microsoft's intentions were good, but to me this is a similar situation that netscape was in back in mid 90s.

This definitely isn't the end for ie by any stretch of the imagination, but with the increasing trends between firefox and opera and their compatibilities becoming stronger with every day, ie just doesn't quite stand the chance.

If ie went into a direction that firefox/opera or... dare I say, make it more Mac-style, then ie could bring itself back to life.

musicguru, Oct 7, 2009 IP
  7. drewski

drewski Guest

Best Answers:
    On my computer internet explorer takes a lot longer to get started then what firefox and also chrome does. I also get random pop-ups on my internet explorer browser that i do not get on chrome or firefox.

drewski, Oct 7, 2009 IP
  8. sn1

sn1 Peon

Best Answers:
    Firefox is the best, fast, comfortable and have great features

sn1, Oct 7, 2009 IP
  9. Dollar hunter

Dollar hunter Member

Best Answers:
    No dear IE 8 cant beat Firefox.Firefox is very nice.

Dollar hunter, Oct 7, 2009 IP
  10. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    Hmm. So you think Google's Chrome is based on Mozilla? And you think ChromeOS is, too? And you think Google's servers are not custom Linux? And you question my knowledge? Man, oh man.

drhowarddrfine, Oct 14, 2009 IP
  11. Traffic-Bug

Traffic-Bug Active Member

Best Answers:
    The reason I use Firefox is because IE8 is too slow when opening new tabs and because of the availability of extensions/addons/plugins etc. IE8 only comes up with things like slices and accelerators that seem to have been just added for the purpose of bloated feature set. May be they can provide a customized online compile and download version by checking off the features you dont need.
    x_ Include support for web slices?
    x_ Include support for accelerators?
    x_ Include support for changing colors in tabs?

The result will be faster, leaner and meaner executable but it wont be portable across users. These things may already available as options but the executable is still the same size (bloated with unwanted or unnecessary features).

Traffic-Bug, Oct 14, 2009 IP
  12. gameutopia

gameutopia Peon

Best Answers:
    I like firefox for all the addons. I only use internet explorer to make sure web site design and layout looks well for ie users too. Seems like ms is always having some security issue with ie, but hey I don't think any of them are perfect. Each browser has pro's and con's. The all seem speedy and powerful at first but over time, I think they do slow down for the most part. I know firefox is super fast after first installing, but later the profile or database gets big and it slows down a lot. If I make a new profile it speeds up again for a while.

gameutopia, Oct 14, 2009 IP
  13. dexaffiliate

dexaffiliate Peon

Best Answers:
    I am using FireFox for few years... I really dont thing so, IE is better...

dexaffiliate, Oct 15, 2009 IP
  14. dafty

dafty Member

Best Answers:
    IE sucks... plain and simple. From a web designers point of view FF all the way.

dafty, Oct 15, 2009 IP
  15. wildogre

wildogre Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah IE 8 is really good in Security but i still prefer firefox because of its simplicity and speed.

wildogre, Oct 15, 2009 IP
  16. dafty

dafty Member

Best Answers:
    Like gameutopia said, add ons make the difference. Making the browser open source works so much better. I cant possibly operate without firebug in my browser.

dafty, Oct 15, 2009 IP
  17. Jinx3000

Jinx3000 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Can I visit you in your hole some day? I'm sure you're great conversation!

Seriously: I was hoping you were being sarcastic - but obviously you're not. MS has made some mistakes, especially in their IE6 time - but they're delivering a good product right now, and I'm sure they'll never drop the ball again like they did.

Yes - I use Firefox too - but not for the same reasons I used to. Now: I prefer the addons. 3 Years ago - I preferred the safety.

Read up.

Jinx3000, Oct 15, 2009 IP
  18. berlinpogs

berlinpogs Peon

Best Answers:
    In my experienced Firefox is no.1 because of effeciency specially with my work as a SEO professional and as a webmaster...

berlinpogs, Oct 15, 2009 IP
  19. sherone

sherone Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Exactly!!!!!!!! I like firefox than any other browser.
    IE is famous for its bugs.

sherone, Oct 15, 2009 IP
  20. Corwin

Corwin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Once again, "drhowarddrfine" proves that he doesn't understand what Open Source means, or what it is used for.

Corwin, Oct 15, 2009 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.