1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Hosting domains that have been bought elsewhere

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by andyj00, Oct 6, 2009.

I've bought a domain with Namecheap and want to run it under my Godaddy existing shared hosting account. I've got what I think are the correct nameservers from Godaddy and put them in my new domain's setup at Namecheap. Should the nameservers be the ones used for the root account in the Godaddy hosting?

I have uploaded a test page to my Godaddy hosting and it doesnt want to display. I also cant ping the domain name. Am I missing something? How long should it take (with Namecheap and Godaddy) for it all to work?

Many thanks.
    Andy

andyj00, Oct 6, 2009 IP
  2. Bill_Stanbrook

Bill_Stanbrook Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Generally the hosting company will send you an email which lists the correct nameservers to use.

It may take anything from a few minutes to a few days for the nameservers to update, at your ISP. If you want to see if the rest of the world can see your site, try using one of the web proxies listed at http://proxyfreelist.com/ to view the site.

Make sure that you've removed any existing nameservers for the domain. You can see what nameservers have been set up for it using the whois tool at http://who.is/ .

Make sure that your files have been uploaded into the site's public directory, and not the root directory. The public directory is generally called 'public_html', 'htdocs', or something similar. Their may also be a 'www' shortcut to it.

Bill_Stanbrook, Oct 6, 2009 IP
  3. andyj00

andyj00 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thats great Bill, thanks for the information.
    I have now had an email from Godaddy specifing different nameservers so I'll try that. They also said it could take up to 48 hours for things to take effect, although its ususally done in 4-6 hours.

Thanks.
    Andy

andyj00, Oct 6, 2009 IP
  4. skyfire

skyfire Peon

Best Answers:
    From where we can buy cheap domains ? i purchase mine from dreamhost, it costs me 9.95$. any cheaper price than this ?

skyfire, Oct 6, 2009 IP
  5. Bill_Stanbrook

Bill_Stanbrook Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    $9.95 isn't too bad a price for the more popular top-level domains. You can sometimes get them cheaper with a coupon code. Try Googling 'domain coupon', 'domain promo code', 'domain discount voucher', etc, without quote marks and see what you can turn up.

You can get .info domains from Godaddy.com for around a dollar, for the first year of registration. After the first year they go up to around the $10 mark.

Bill_Stanbrook, Oct 7, 2009 IP