1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How many times is too much when submitting to DMOZ

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by jhahn1234, Oct 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    I've been trying for over a year to get into DMOZ but for some reason I won't get listed. I've gone over every guideline but after 1 1/2 years still no listing. If I submit again does it get flagged for repeated submission? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

jhahn1234, Oct 2, 2009 IP
  2. Mkcoy

Mkcoy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Once is enough. Submit it and forget about it. That's all there is to it pal. You are not alone. Thousands of people have not got into DMOZ. DMOZ is one of those directories you submit to, then forget it. Try submitting it a year later but not every month because they are auto approved by actual humans and if they keep seeing your URL over and over again they will probably just blacklist you for good and then you'll never get in.

So you've submitted to DMOZ. Great! Now just forget about it okay?? Go on and continue submitting to other link dirs and places that will accept your site. DMOZ is not going to be the solution you are looking for. Even if you do get in, its not going to mean you no longer have to keep submitting your site to places and/or working on marketing and promoting your site online. You will still need to keep doing that as an integral part of your advertising campaign.

Anyway, there are so many other better ways for you to get traffic to your site but FORGET DMOZ!!
    Seriously, you've submitted it, now move on!

Mkcoy, Oct 2, 2009 IP
  3. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Your question sort of answers itself, once and forget.

pipes, Oct 2, 2009 IP
  4. Agent000

Agent000 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Submitting any more than once is counterproductive and will hurt your chances of a review.

Agent000, Oct 2, 2009 IP
  5. Deus Ex

Deus Ex Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, only submit it once and then submit your site to other categories if you have pages of your site dedicated to other niches. A website is allowed in more than one area if the site has pages dedicated to separate niches. Make sure you memorize the ToS of Dmoz and only submit ONCE and talk to the person in charge of running that directory spot.

Deus Ex, Oct 2, 2009 IP
    Ivan Bajlo likes this.
  6. syted

syted Notable Member

Best Answers:
    My understanding (which I've gleaned by reading the DMOZ forum, which is where you should have posted this) is that resubmitting a site overwrites the original submission and puts it back at the bottom of the review list.

syted, Oct 2, 2009 IP
  7. Agent000

Best Answers:
    Really bad advice - do NOT follow it. Editors may list a site in more than one category if it meets the guidelines.. Submitting to more than one category (unless its a topical vs regional category) is against the guidelines you agree to when you submit.

Agent000, Oct 2, 2009 IP
    Ivan Bajlo likes this.
  8. internetmarketingiq

internetmarketingiq Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have a lot of listings in DMOZ... I got them way way back in the day. We are talking some more than 10 years ago. And while I still believe they are valuable for SEO purposes... they generate almost ZERO traffic on their own. And even when ranked high in DMOZ.

I sell little point in fighting for a spot. Submit and move on.

internetmarketingiq, Oct 2, 2009 IP
  9. alistair80

alistair80 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Patience is counting down without blasting off. dMoz teaches you how to deal with frustration. :)

alistair80, Oct 4, 2009 IP
  10. jefflane

jefflane Peon

Best Answers:
    I've submitted three times in the past 6 months and have yet to be included. I don't think I am going to submit again, just wait and see what happens. I am going to try and submit every six months.

jefflane, Oct 5, 2009 IP
    Ivan Bajlo likes this.
  11. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Pleaase don't, resubmitting does nothing to improve your chances and can actually harm your chances of being listed. It also breaks our guidelines to submit more than once.

Suggested sites are not lost, but they are just suggestions. We do not undertake to review suggested sites in good time, it can take from a few days to a few years for a review. If your site had a review and got rejected then unless the site has had a complete overall, so its a completely different site, it will be rejected again, and if that happens a few times then the URL will be blocked.

Chances are your site is awaiting a review by an editor, but we are all volunteers working in our spare time, we do not have to work on the suggestions pool if we don't want to do so, but your site will sit there till an editor does want to work on it. Then if you have submitted a second or third time, the date stamp on the site will be the latest submission, and if the editor only has limited time they may just deal with the old suggestions, leaving yours sitting there.

By suggesting your site you have done all you can to promote it at DMOZ. Thanks for the suggestion, but for your sites sake don't keep suggesting it, not if you really want it listed.

Anonymously, Oct 5, 2009 IP
  12. YugoSlavac

YugoSlavac Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Stop resubmitting. If they don't add you, than move on. You can't do anything about it, and you're just hurting your site even more. There's literally thousands of directories, you'll get submitted to at least one.

Yugo,

YugoSlavac, Oct 5, 2009 IP
    Ivan Bajlo likes this.
  13. jefflane

jefflane Peon

Best Answers:
    Ok. Thanks for the reply.

jefflane, Oct 5, 2009 IP
  14. bruceslogos

bruceslogos Peon

Best Answers:
    I submitted 3 times but for this 3 times, our site is not approved.

bruceslogos, Oct 5, 2009 IP
    Ivan Bajlo likes this.
  15. Agent000

Best Answers:
    Which is 2 times more than what you agreed to when you submitted.

Agent000, Oct 5, 2009 IP
  16. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    http://www.dmoz.org/add.html

This is a good page to read for all who want to suggest a site.

Anonymously, Oct 6, 2009 IP
  17. Agent000

Best Answers:
    BUT, everyone does read that page. They acknowledge that they have read it when the suggest a site - they check the box that they have!

Agent000, Oct 6, 2009 IP
  18. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    I note a hint or more of sarcasm in your post Agent000;)

How many times do I tick boxes on software, insurance policies etc etc that say I have read the terms and conditions....a lot.....how many have I read....:eek:

If people really did read it we editors would probably not need to post on DP!:cool:

But if they did, they might help themselves and their suggested sites.

Anonymously, Oct 6, 2009 IP
  19. trustnobodynever

trustnobodynever Peon

Best Answers:
    Hold on ... let's take some examples of editors who posts here ... one are you who obviously have an open war-like reply with Gworld and sometime give some pertinent explanations about things around dmoz , snooks it's seems it's getting extremely offended when peoples saying anything about corruption obviously thinking all those replies are for him on special , makrhood already left this boat few months ago , and our lovely Jim Noble honestly from him I think I saw one or two replies who really helped rest only copy/paste from other posts or from so loved guidelines ... One for all and all for one things are easy , all of you guys aren't helping actually none of those morons who maybe asking for some help , you guys just defend your cause and pretend to have everything nice and clear with the directory , at the end of the day , none have a pertinent answer about the copyrights terms from the directory listings / none have any pertinent explanation about how on the name of god on the directory are listed so much spam links , and all of you guys only thing what you are doing with all those replies just try to give vague and not even with a smell of honesty answers . So .... at the end of the day why you guys answer on this forum ? to keep telling peoples '' submit and forget or forget to submit '' / and all others millions of time said things before ? keep telling peoples same things over and over again aren't helping anyone ... well if I`m thinking a little - hold on - how peoples learn a poetry for example ? repeat reading and trying to remember it ... how much time on this forum only was said the '' submit and forget '' ? :) ? do you guys really think even a second this peoples will actually understand this ? NEVER ! .... why ? because most of the time when they are asking about help here and on other forums like this one they consider their sites better than the others from the category where they suggested them ... it's their right to consider like that ... BUT at the end of the day it's decision of the editors to list or not ... we know all how's that things will be ....

Idea is easy to understand ... if you guys really bother and answer or speak with peoples on public forums , try and don't consider them from start like retards who have nothing better to do and to ask maybe stupid questions on public forums . Try and be humans , like the directory it's pretend to be '' human edited '' ... humans (* or at least normal peoples ) aren't keep repeating hundreds of times same things over and over !

NB. To not forget to say thanks for the lovely moderators who will give me maybe infractions again for the post's witch I made . Love you guys ! hope to see you in front of my truck at 100km/h :)

trustnobodynever, Oct 7, 2009 IP
  20. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    I do try hard but I wish I could understand your posts.

Anonymously, Oct 7, 2009 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.