1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Suggestion Ban users with bad english

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Forkypie, Oct 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Yes. It really frustrates me that so many posts here are written in bad English, and I am sure I am not the only one who feels this way.

My suggestion is to give an infraction for every 5 posts a member posts that is ridden with horrible grammar. (Of course, the occasional typo and misspelled word can be ignored)

Posts like these should not be tolerated:
    Forgive me if I am being to harsh here, but the amount of broken English here on DP really pisses me off.

Forkypie, Oct 5, 2009 IP
  2. pro.seods

pro.seods Peon

Best Answers:
    They can surely be given a warning.

pro.seods, Oct 5, 2009 IP
  3. kraftzy

kraftzy Active Member

Best Answers:
    Banning users with bad English will be a little too harsh IMO. There are many user here whose native language isn't English and some of them do make posts with horrible grammar but hey, of course the other members can point them out so that they correct their mistakes and slowly learn the language. If they are into Internet business and want to get help in a forum like DP, they eventually have to learn proper English and I think most of them do try in that effect. So why ban them? Why not help them with the language?

kraftzy, Oct 5, 2009 IP
    Oranges likes this.
  4. MhW

MhW Active Member

Best Answers:
    Forkypie, I feel your pain. I find it hugely frustrating reading posts by users who don't even use correct grammar, let alone being able to spell correctly or create readable sentences.

However, we should remember that a lot of members are from outside the UK / US, and therefore English isn't their primitive language. I guess it would be a little harsh excluding / warning users who come from a different country, just because they're not great at English. I'm also pretty sure considering the amount of incoherent messages that are posted on a regular basis, the Moderator's workload would be increased 10x fold.

Actually, some of the messages can be quite humorous.

Eg: "I pay some back street SEO dude for top #1 rankings in 7 days for 90 dollar. But now 15 days and no google rankings. I get scammed! What to do?" :mad:

Last edited: Oct 5, 2009
    MhW, Oct 5, 2009 IP
  5. Smyrl

Smyrl Tomato Republic Staff

Best Answers:
    You have to realize DP has members from all over the world. In my eyes, members are to be commended for having a knowledge of multiple languages. Members do not have to buy content/content creation services from members who slaughter the "Kings English."

Smyrl, Oct 5, 2009 IP
  6. dpsubi1

dpsubi1 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Knowing english is necessary to do good business ... however, it should not be mandatory on any place.

dpsubi1, Oct 5, 2009 IP
  7. V_tpp

V_tpp Active Member

Best Answers:
    I am from outside US/UK too. But I can't help noticing that while being "in pain" with other outsiders bad English, a UK person can regard the English language as being "primitive" (really?) and find board messages to be "humerus".

C'mmon guys...aren't you maybe more Catholic than the Pope here?

V_tpp, Oct 5, 2009 IP
  8. MhW

MhW Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hey, second one was a typo. :eek:

MhW, Oct 5, 2009 IP
  9. MOG

MOG Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think he meant "primary" language... ;)

MOG, Oct 5, 2009 IP
  10. TikTok

TikTok Peon

Best Answers:
    There's irony in that statement somewhere...

-----

One solution to the persistent assault on the English language would be to put the offending members on your ignore list. Of course a consequence of that action might be the ultimate blocking of a high percentage of the members in the Content Creation forum. More irony!!

TikTok, Oct 5, 2009 IP
  11. premiumscripts

premiumscripts Peon

Best Answers:
    Perhaps there should be a mandatory spell check (via javascript) that is called when the submit button is clicked (if the user has received a spelling infraction in the last x months). (cookie based so as not to impact the db)

Anyway, there's definitely some things these users can do to clean up their messages. Add proper punctuation for one (which I'm sure everyone knows how to) and not using abbreviations.

premiumscripts, Oct 5, 2009 IP
  12. crath

crath Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I completely support at least giving them warnings. It is my biggest peeve with DP

crath, Oct 5, 2009 IP
  13. SOULZRIPPER

SOULZRIPPER Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Come on people. Even the thought of banning people with bad English is like ridiculous. And you have created a request thread for it lol..

You just close your eyes when you don't wanna see something and not throw stone at it man. So please stop wasting your life finding out others mistakes. Cos it really takes you nowhere, seriously..

Or make use of the opportunity and start a thread in the service section instead offering stuff like "Learn Decent English For 5$/hour" kinda thing..
    If, that is you are capable enough ;)

I am not being senti or emo but I just gave you a great idea to live in this world which is full of diversity and would hope :)

SOULZRIPPER, Oct 5, 2009 IP
  14. crath

crath Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This is still an English forum. I'm sure there are forums for webmasters in every language.

If they wish to tap the resources, they can at least take the effort to spell check.

crath, Oct 5, 2009 IP
  15. SOULZRIPPER

SOULZRIPPER Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Ok well, I do know what the concern is exactly. Frankly, I do get very annoyed at times when I see such posts.
    I just don't get furious at them but ignore them mostly.

But ban isn't something apt for such nuisance, you know ;)

SOULZRIPPER, Oct 5, 2009 IP
  16. Helvetii

Helvetii Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Doz it reaali materr? Iz it 2 hadr 2 iznore? :D

Seriously now, whats the problem if people don't speak good English? If you understand them good, if you don't just ignore them. They are trying to learn English, you should ask your self which foreign language have you learned? :|
    Yes if they sell content in written/oral form then they are scamming people.

Well this is annoying: http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showpost.php?p=12544332&postcount=10 (read original post for more fun)

Last edited: Oct 5, 2009
    Helvetii, Oct 5, 2009 IP
  17. SentoWeb

SentoWeb Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I`m very very sad that I read this kind of things at DP. :(
    I question for those who thank that we should be banned for our English:
    * How many languages do you know?
    ---/---
    Just because I have to know 2 to buy anything.

SentoWeb, Oct 5, 2009 IP
  18. MhW

MhW Active Member

Best Answers:
    The problem at hand isn't so much spelling (well, it is a bit) but really the ability to put words together into an understandable sentence. For example the quote in the first post, there aren't that many significant spelling mistakes although it's frustrating to read because it feels like you're just reading random words - they have no real meaning together.

MhW, Oct 5, 2009 IP
  19. premiumscripts

premiumscripts Peon

Best Answers:
    ByteHunter, I don't think anyone should be banned for incorrect use of English. No one is perfect. English isn't my first language either, yet seeing someone make the same mistakes over and over again (even after explaining how to correct the mistake(s)) is a bit of a pet peeve for me as well.

I'd like to see some kind of spelling correction plugin that adds a button next to the quote/edit button. Foreign users that want to learn could opt into this system and English speaking users could send a corrected version to the user via this button, thus enabling the user to learn correct English at a faster pace.

Of course this is never going to be implemented..

premiumscripts, Oct 5, 2009 IP
  20. lifeplayer

lifeplayer Notable Member

Best Answers:
    This is more straight than English forum.
    Fortunately not everyone of the world agree with you, else Albert Einstein's relativity will be ignored.
    Languages is just a communication tools, try to understand what others trying to tell is a good attitude.

lifeplayer, Oct 5, 2009 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.