1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Dmoz submission

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by mellisajohn, Sep 24, 2009.

1. IonCannon23

IonCannon23 Peon

Best Answers:
    My problem is NOT that you reject a site that looks good minus content, it's that you all do not maintain the links you have. I always see broken sites that aren't even available anymore -- yet sites that thrive are denied. Sorry bub, it's your idiotic logic that is broken....Face it anyways, DMOZ is a has-been medium. No one really cares about it anymore..

IonCannon23, Sep 28, 2009 IP
  2. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I don't care who cares, I enjoy my hobby of collecting, collating and cataloguing web sites. If I did this so that it would give web masters some PR, or or to get them listed on Google, I would be interested in getting through the suggestions pool as fast as possible. But my object is to build categories and if someone else wants to use that work fine, if not fine.

Strange, though, how a finished directory still gets far more attention than any other directory. I mean I wouldn't even waste the skin on my fingers to post about a web directory that noboby cares about. But you are willing to spend your time giving me that information ad nauseum.

We are always grateful for the many sites that the public bring to our attention in the directory when the links are broken, there is a button on every page. But with 5 million sites we never claim to always be on top of every site that fails or changes, but we get there eventually.

Anonymously, Sep 28, 2009 IP
  3. kumarsaran

kumarsaran Peon

Best Answers:
    Though i submit my sites in relevant categories, Editors are not approving it. I follow all rules as well as guidelines.

Not sure hw they decide ?

kumarsaran, Sep 28, 2009 IP
  4. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    Editors have complete discretion in what sites they list and where they find those sites and which area, given most editors (except newbies) can edit in several or all categories.

Their task is to build categories that they have some interest/knowledge about, and to build categories for the benefit of anyone who wants collated, categorised sites on a given subject. We have no interest in trying to get through the suggestions pool to list as many of them as possible. Editors can use any source they please, edit where they please (within the areas they are allowed to edit in) and so long as they perform 1 edit every 4 months as often as they please. So that's why sites don't get looked at on time, hey even a directory that boosts its income on paid submissions says about sites being offered for free
    http://botw.org/helpcenter/submitsite.aspx?categoryid=25

What hope for DMOZ that only works with unpaid volunteers, but actually I know from the sites that do get listed most editors work hard and do an excellent job, because it is their hobby and they are passionate about the categories they build.

Anonymously, Sep 29, 2009 IP
  5. trustnobodynever

trustnobodynever Peon

Best Answers:
    that means dictatorship dude , that's not discretion / freedom ;) in fact editors it's seems abuse about it listing most of the time crap spam sites .
    how 's come that's not happens then ? WHY that's not happens ? the damn directory it's damn full of spam . and that's a fact everyone with more than 2 cellbrains alive can spend half a hour on the directory and will see atleast half of the damn links are something '' not right '' on them and aren't follow the guidelines
    AMEN ... like I`ve said before I`m still dreaming about the damn day when I`ll see this directory clean up by all that mess witch it's seems it's here since years .

trustnobodynever, Sep 29, 2009 IP
  6. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    As I said BOTW pays its works and still will not guarantee reviewing sites in good time, if they are submitted using the free listing they offer. We certainly do not offer a service that does review in good time, we don't even set ourselves up to be that sort of service, but no one seems to want to hear that.

Anonymously, Sep 30, 2009 IP
  7. caprichoso

caprichoso Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    FAIL

You are wrong. BOTW doesn't guaranties revision on time for free submitted sites. They offer you a paid submission for guarantied review within 3 days.

caprichoso, Sep 30, 2009 IP
  8. trustnobodynever

trustnobodynever Peon

Best Answers:
    only thing what I wanna hear its why on the directory are listed spam links and sites witch wasn't supposed to be there , even if on rz forum are reported hundreds of pages of spam sites still on the directory are other hundreds links . Links witch was supposed to be added here by some honest peoples witch was supposed to be the editorial staff . We aren't speaking here about botw or Y! directory , or any other , most of the peoples who are looking on this part of forum are particular interested to find what truly happens on the dmoz directory .

trustnobodynever, Sep 30, 2009 IP
  9. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    Sorry I said that they do not guarantee reviewing sites in good time, if you offer on their free service.

If you are telling me that is wrong, please show me where and if you did not read it correctly I don't mind you apologising.

Anonymously, Sep 30, 2009 IP
  10. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    Perhaps you would like to tell me what evidence you have that i am part of some mafia.

Anonymously, Oct 1, 2009 IP
  11. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    In the end, it is THAT mindset that is and will continue to be the downfall of the ODP.

Qryztufre, Oct 1, 2009 IP
  12. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    Well its been there all the time DMOZ has existed, it still exists and DMOZ is going to greater heights yet.
    And for a failing fading directory in the twighlight of its years, only a few months to go, its still talked about a geat deal, like on here. Now that aint half bad for a directory in is death throes. ROFL.

Anonymously, Oct 2, 2009 IP
  13. caprichoso

Best Answers:
    As for going to greater heights you would have to invert the statistical data for reaching such conclusions. As far as I can see here, traffic is going down:

[​IMG]

Link to online-data

caprichoso, Oct 2, 2009 IP
  14. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    A million hits looking at a directory full of spam and dead links, can't be bad either. Ranked in the top 2000, who would give anything for that and this is a bunch of volunteers who work in their spare time.

But I still refer to the future, not the present. We yet have greater heights to be scaled. For a free directory to users and ability for web masters to suggest their site for free, using only unpaid amateurs working out their hobby I'll settle for where we are and know that things will go move onward and upward.

Anonymously, Oct 2, 2009 IP
  15. caprichoso

Best Answers:
    I guess you're still missing the point. hehehe :)
    Let's add historic values ranging from 4/2008 to 4/2009
    [​IMG]
    The future of DMOZ can be projected easily from it's traffic trend.

1.8M to 1.3M in twelve months since April, 2008 - loses 42.000 visitors per month
    1.33M to 1.03M over 2009 - loses 43.000 visitors per month

Unless something changes, there will be no visitors by September, 2011

caprichoso, Oct 2, 2009 IP
  16. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    You should send a thank you letter to Indian web masters for your million hits, I doubt more than 2% of those hits are from real end users. :rolleyes:

gworld, Oct 2, 2009 IP
  17. divengrabber

divengrabber Peon

Best Answers:
    not exactly but if your site is good then Dmoz approve your site for index on their database.

divengrabber, Oct 3, 2009 IP
    Anonymously likes this.
  18. trustnobodynever

trustnobodynever Peon

Best Answers:
    you must be joking I think '' average joe '' surfers hardly know about dmoz or even visited once .... the compete status it's similar with stat's reported by alexa ....
    unfortunately the editors can't or don't even bother to alter those public records lol ...
    do yourself the maths from 1.8 million hits :) ... and see 41.1% of the traffic top 2/3/4 places it's known geographical location for '' outsource work '' of so named seo company's ... well for germany I think most probably explanation it's because large number of peoples using aol for spoofing their real ip adress ( * peoples who know what about I`m talking here know I have right lol - if you don't know what means google or ask friends maybe will find the answer ) .... lol ...

trustnobodynever, Oct 3, 2009 IP
  19. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I stand corrected; DMOZ mafia should also thank Pakistan and Turkey and not only Indian web masters. :D

gworld, Oct 3, 2009 IP
  20. Matyy_22

Matyy_22 Peon

Best Answers:
    It's all about the website. Good quality allways opens doors!!

Matyy_22, Oct 12, 2009 IP