1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Bounce Rate

Discussion in 'Traffic Analysis' started by carmen, Sep 9, 2007.

I was just reading up on the definition of bounce rate ( The percentage of single-page visits - i.e. visits in which the person left your site from the entrance page. ) and had a question in regards to it:

Are all forms of exit from an entrance page considered a bounce. For instance, if a surfer comes to my site, and clicks right away on an adsense ad or an outbound link on my entrance page, would that be a bounce?

carmen, Sep 9, 2007 IP
  2. mikey1090

mikey1090 Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    i dont think so. If it wasnt an internal page it wont count. Therefore bounce rate will be 100%

mikey1090, Sep 10, 2007 IP
  3. e10

e10 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Carmen,

I'm not sure about this but have read somewhere that if a visitor clicks off your site from entrance page via outgoing link but comes back within a specified time they are not counted as a bounce. If they are not back within that time (I think its 30 minutes) then they are a bounce. Quite willing for somebody to jump on my head and clarify this or tell me I am talking BS. I'd like to know too. :)

e10, Sep 11, 2007 IP
  4. Husam

Husam Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes that would be a bounce, because bounce is when the visitor come to your site (from another website) and only viewed one page, however if that visitor was in your site viewing another page or pages and then viewed that page and left your site, in that situation that would be exit rate.

Husam, Sep 17, 2007 IP
  5. john269

john269 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I agree that it would be a bounce rate.

If a visitor lands on your landing page and then visits another internal page of your website that will not be a bounce and will give you a bounce rate of 0% with 2 pageviews.

Now if the visitor lands on the landing page and then clicks out from your website to another external site then that would be a bounce giving you just 1 pageview for that visitor and 100% bounce rate. The lower your bounce rate is the better your site is doing at keeping traffic and normally also keeping them entertained.

john269, Sep 24, 2007 IP
  6. jkapadia1983

jkapadia1983 Peon

Best Answers:
    Bounce rate (sometimes confused with exit rate) is a term used in web site traffic analysis. It essentially represents the percentage of initial visitors to a site who "bounce" away to a different site, rather than continue on to other pages within the same site.

The formula used to calculate bounce rate is: Bounce Rate = Total Number of Visits Viewing One Page / Total Number of Visits

Good a bounce rate under 20%, anything over 35% is cause for concern, 50% (above) is worrying.

jkapadia1983, Oct 2, 2009 IP
  7. Website_Analyst

Website_Analyst Peon

Best Answers:
    According to my idea, If somebody is coming your site(link homepage) and without visiting other pages (like aboutus or other page) it's exit from your site than it's know as bounce visitor.

Website_Analyst, Jan 27, 2010 IP