1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I'm scared. I'm being false accused!

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by some guy, Aug 12, 2006.

1. LinkPromo

LinkPromo Peon

Best Answers:
    Well put Greg.

LinkPromo, Aug 13, 2006 IP
  2. KIG

KIG Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    greg we all support you!

KIG, Aug 13, 2006 IP
  3. cormac

cormac Peon

Best Answers:
    Mcfox I 100% agree with that and legal action should be taken with anyone who does commit copyright infringement but sending an email like that isn’t going to help Greg's case one bit and it could actually end up hurting him from the way its worded.

Greg you are right we don’t have all the facts and nor we should as its none of our business but if you need to protect your livelihood (I am sure you do) from scammers then you really should let your lawyer deal with the communications so it’s more official and it comes to court then it will stand better than an email like the one already sent.

Sorry that I did call you a complete plonker and a clown but hey you said it isn’t your concern what we think of you. My name-calling was over the wording of your email and not chasing some kid scammer but looking at all the posts, I would probably say you sent the email in anger trying to stop the scammers.

cormac, Aug 13, 2006 IP
    mcfox likes this.
  4. sundaybrew

sundaybrew Numerati

Best Answers:

I think that is well said , If you own a software company , why not just let the lawyer deal...much less stress for you...:)

sundaybrew, Aug 13, 2006 IP
  5. MrGeeK

MrGeeK Peon

Best Answers:
    The length of time it would take to get a lawyer involved would see the script all over the net before he could write his first expensive letter.

I'm betting that Greg is acting quickly to stop the spread as much as possible and that the lawyer would be the first phone call on Monday morning.

MrGeeK, Aug 13, 2006 IP
  6. sundaybrew

sundaybrew Numerati

Best Answers:

Yea , maybe adding zend optimizer to the script with license coding would be a better bet as well

7. wrmineo

wrmineo Peon

Best Answers:
    I concur 110% with your support of Greg and the position that being ripped off is wrong and frustrating.

However, the tactics and passion could easily be turned against him, especially when he readily admits he knows that he's dealing with a minor. An eager lawyer or prosecutor could twist and turn his words and then the tables would be turned ... two wrongs never equate to a right; well, almost never.

FYI - in order to fall within the purview of an FBI investigation, provable loss in excess of $1K needs to be documented and then you're still looking at an uphill battle.

The 15 year old should be concerned as he performed an egregious and knowingly wrongful act; if Greg is willing to drop the potential action(s) against him in exchange for disclosure of the supplier, he'd be wise to do so post-haste as well as give compensatory award of the cost of the script whether he intends to use it or not.

Minors can be prosecuted and judges are getting tougher and tougher in cases involving minors and the Internet, to include holding parent liable for providing the Internet access without oversight and supervision.

However Greg, although I believe you are right to pursue these kids, how you handle them should be modified to keep yourself out of potential hot water.

For anyone involved, minor or not, beware that the Internet is full of scams and scammers - before you use and resell a script - check the source and validity of the seller, else be prepared for potential legal and civil action. Ignorance is never an excuse in a court of law.

wrmineo, Aug 13, 2006 IP
  8. sundaybrew

sundaybrew Numerati

Best Answers:
    You always have great comments WRMINO

Nicely Said as well

9. DeniseJ

DeniseJ Live, Laugh, Love

Best Answers:
    Falsely accused? Please. Get your story straight before you blatantly lie about this issue. You purchased an illegal copy of a script -- in another thread, you admitted to knowing it was an illegitimate copy. Your age doesn't excuse you from this, but it does shed light on how you could be so stupid.

Until you can handle the responsibilities of buying and selling things like this, you should probably stay far away from the internet for awhile. What you did was wrong, and the rightful owner of the script has every right to demand you rectify this situation.

DeniseJ, Aug 13, 2006 IP
  10. Greg-J

Greg-J I humbly return to you.

Best Answers:
    Thank you all for your support. I'm sure my lawyer will give me a good ribbing over that message, as he generally does (My wife and I have a rental that is nothing but trouble, keeps him busy though).

Greg-J, Aug 13, 2006 IP
    wrmineo likes this.
  11. sundaybrew

sundaybrew Numerati

Best Answers:
    We Love you Greg~~~

12. wrmineo

wrmineo Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks SudayBrew ... sometimes it flows and sometimes it just gets clogged ;)

Greg - my attorney rips me a new one everytime we meet or talk as I let me passion get the best of me sometimes too ... it's just easier to see it in others :eek:

wrmineo, Aug 13, 2006 IP
  13. Greg-J

Best Answers:
    At least I'm not alone :)

Greg-J, Aug 13, 2006 IP
  14. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    After reading this thread, I'm completely lost.

Did some_guy:

1. Buy a "used", but legally licensed, script?
    2. Buy a "used" script, which was sold without a legal license?
    3. Sell a script which he did not own the rights to sell?

Which one (ones?) of these actions did some_guy make?

Will.Spencer, Aug 13, 2006 IP
  15. Greg-J

Best Answers:
    He obtained and attempted to distribute the script without purchasing a license.

Greg-J, Aug 13, 2006 IP
  16. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    Greg, does your license have a process for it to be re-sold to a new buyer, if the original buyer deletes his copy of the script?

I see used vBulletin licenses for sale all of the time. Does your license operate similarly?

Will.Spencer, Aug 13, 2006 IP
  17. Greg-J

Best Answers:
    I don't allow licenses to be transferred from one domain to another, and I don't facilitate transfers within the first 60 days. It's not that I'm trying to be difficult, but current owners get a price break and I don't want that abused.

But once the script is on a domain, it's yours to sell after 60 days. Obviously you can sell it before then, but the new owner will not gain access to the support forums if you do.

Greg-J, Aug 13, 2006 IP
  18. chachacallis

chachacallis Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    it loads too slow and evrything is so gray, try and break the gray up a bit.

chachacallis, Aug 13, 2006 IP
  19. Scilynt

Scilynt Peon

Best Answers:
    Well hopefully this/these kids get smart quick or it won't be them dealing with Gregs lawyer, but their parents as well. Not only are they dealing with the cost/value of the copies but if they are responsible for unstoppable spreading of the script they stole, it's not just hundreds of dollars anymore.

Sure, could be a quick way to make a buck for a dumb "kid" but it could end up being a quick way to bankrupt your family and spend a lot of time in court.

I'm sure Greg can count on support for legal fee help as well if/when it needs to go to court, at least from his community.

edit: lol @ chachacallis

Scilynt, Aug 13, 2006 IP
  20. hornstar6969

hornstar6969 Peon

Best Answers:
    Try reporting to the ica?

hornstar6969, Aug 14, 2006 IP