1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

MacBook or Normal Laptop with Ubuntu

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Indian, Sep 28, 2009.

I am sure that most of you guys use a MacBook but I have never been convinced to buy one. Lot of people buy a Macbook for its applications and just because it does not get virus. I have used Ubuntu and it has been giving me good results. I have used a Mac for a few hours and was not quiet happy with it.

I am planning to buy a new laptop/netbook but not quiet sure what should I buy. Cost is not a factor but I really don't want to buy a costly Macbook when I can get same performance on a much cheaper machine with Ubuntu.

I'll be using this laptop/netbook mostly while traveling to update my blogs, check emails and surf websites. So at max you can expect a firefox/chrome window with 15 tabs open. Add a Yahoo Messenger to it.

So what are your thoughts? Ubuntu + normal machine has the cost advantage but does a Macbook beat Ubuntu by any good margin? If yes then I will go for a Macbook.

Please suggest. :)

Indian, Sep 28, 2009 IP
  2. Algert

Algert Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Go for ubuntu or any other free linux based OS, macbook is expensive and not cost efficient according to me.

Algert, Sep 28, 2009 IP
  3. mediapro

mediapro Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Macbooks are great laptops but are very overpriced because of the name.

You could buy an ibm compatible for much less and it will serve the same exact purpose.

Apple charges at least 400 dollars more than they should for each laptop just for their apple logo.

My suggestion for what you're looking for: buy an ibm compatible laptop 13" screen maximum.

You can install on it windows 7, if not satisfied, switch to any Linux flavor and you'll be set.

PS. don't forget if you go higher than 13" screen, you might have trouble charging your laptop on airplanes, their seat power mechanisms suck.

mediapro, Sep 30, 2009 IP