1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to build a WP theme?

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by CU_Designs, Sep 24, 2009.

Hi. I used to build really basic HTML themes several years ago. I'm interested in learning how to build WP themes. I'm particularly drawn to wordpress magazine themes. But would like to know if anyone knows of a good tutorial on how to go about making WordPress themes. I'd appreciate anyone's comments and recommendations. Thanks.

CU_Designs, Sep 24, 2009 IP
  2. craigmaclean

craigmaclean Peon

Best Answers:
    net.tutsplusDOTCOM has some excellent tutorials for converting designs to wordpress themese.

This is also an excellent step by step process: wpdesignerDOTCOM/2007/02/19/so-you-want-to-create-wordpress-themes-huh/

Just replace DOTCOM with .com - I can't embed links yet

:)

craigmaclean, Sep 25, 2009 IP
  3. leebari

leebari Peon

Best Answers:
    Basically you need to build html template, place wordpress template variables where and paste it to wordpress. Then these variables are replaced with services. All content managers work similar...

leebari, Sep 25, 2009 IP
  4. nirajkum

nirajkum Active Member

Best Answers:
    you will have to go to theme directory and check the themes by default there is a default theme you will have to write code for all the files

nirajkum, Sep 25, 2009 IP
  5. addlinkurl

addlinkurl Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    if you know css and a little php, examine the wordpress default theme.

addlinkurl, Sep 25, 2009 IP
  6. i.am.a.pro

i.am.a.pro Peon

Best Answers:
    To make a wordpress theme you need to have knowledge of basic PHP and CSS along with HTML.

You can also use the other way by editing the Wordpress default theme or downloading a theme according to you wish from the net and editing the css.

i.am.a.pro, Sep 25, 2009 IP
  7. CU_Designs

CU_Designs Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Thanks everyone for posting. I don't know much about php and css. I do some tweaking of variables in WP themes that I use and learn from a lot of trial and error and even messing up themes altogether sometimes. But I don't know the first thing about putting css and php files together from scratch. Just seems so complicated to me. I do know how to add a redirection code in php. haha. Yea, see. I don't know anything really. I'll have a look at those tutorials posted, though.

CU_Designs, Sep 25, 2009 IP
  8. Nigel Lew

Nigel Lew Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It looks like Dan Schulz released his WP framework.

http://wpframework.com/ Highly dialed in and semantic code. That is slick stuff.

Its a great starting point.

hope that helps,
    Nigel

EDIT: actually that is not it. I will post a link when I track it down. Last I heard it was on its way.

Nigel Lew, Sep 25, 2009 IP
  9. nicolasthun

nicolasthun Guest

Best Answers:
    I would advice you to study basic html/css and then start to build a WP-theme.

nicolasthun, Sep 25, 2009 IP
  10. sepecial

sepecial Peon

Best Answers:
    is there any program to build a theme easily?

sepecial, Sep 25, 2009 IP
  11. Nigel Lew

Nigel Lew Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Nigel Lew, Sep 25, 2009 IP
  12. Red-Spiral

Red-Spiral Peon

Best Answers:
    What I would do is install a basic theme and get to know the code and make changes and modify the images and see where you go then start building from scratch

Red-Spiral, Sep 25, 2009 IP
  13. fdelixx

fdelixx Peon

Best Answers:
    to create a WP THEMES you need have 1 software to bring into being a laptop as sever..the software is a xampp conrol panel anda you must know a html anda php...

fdelixx, Sep 25, 2009 IP
  14. myst_dg

myst_dg Active Member

Best Answers:
    myst_dg, Sep 26, 2009 IP
  15. strevt

strevt Peon

Best Answers:
  16. CU_Designs

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    To fdelixx: At first I didn't understand what you were saying and what a laptop or any type of computer had to do with WP themes. But after seeing what Xampp is used for, I don't have any interest in running a server. My thread is about how to create wordpress themes and nothing else. If you know of a tutorial, then that would be relevant to the topic at hand and would be most appreciated. ;).

To mystdg: I actually came across that site years back and forgot about it. thanks for posting it.

To strevt: Now that looks like a really interesting site. Thank you for posting it.

To everyone: Thanks again for posting. I have more than enough to get things rolling. Thanks.

To sepecial: That's a good question. I actually never thought about looking for software that helps build WP themes. So I thought to do a quick Google search and found a program called Artisteer. Unfortunately, it's not free. I might actually buy it if it's like what Microsoft's FrontPage or Macromedia Dreamweaver is to a Web site designer. I don't know, yet. Still deciding whether or not to buy it.

To Anyone: I created a separate thread for software programs to design WP themes, just now. Click here. That way this thread is just for WP theme creation type of tutorials. ;)

Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
    CU_Designs, Sep 28, 2009 IP
  17. robcub

robcub Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    fdelixx is saying that if you want to play around with WP themes - a little bit here and a little bit there - it's a good idea to do it locally on your own computer rather than on a server, waiting for every little change to take effect.

XAMPP is really easy to use and works on Macs as well as PCs I found it really useful in developing my own WP themes - especially if you don't want your clients to see the mistakes you are making.

http://www.wpdesigner.com/2007/02/19/so-you-want-to-create-wordpress-themes-huh/

is really good as craigmaclean points out.

robcub, Sep 28, 2009 IP
    CU_Designs likes this.
  18. allennbb

allennbb Peon

Best Answers:
    I personally use artisteer, the best and easy tool to create wp themes

allennbb, Sep 28, 2009 IP
  19. CU_Designs

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    To robcub and allennbb: When you first started creating WP themes was there a particular tutorial you used that assisted you in learning how to created WP themes more than other tutorials (besides the tutorials already listed on this thread)? I think the more really great tutorials listed here the better for others viewing this thread. :)

CU_Designs, Sep 28, 2009 IP