1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why DMOZ takes a lot of time to index a site

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by almajdal, Sep 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Hi,

I wonder why DMOZ takes a lot of time to index a site, and why they don't reply either they accept a ite or refuse it?

Almajdal

almajdal, Sep 25, 2009 IP
  2. GameVerdict

GameVerdict Peon

Best Answers:
    I've been waiting for months on my site.

GameVerdict, Sep 25, 2009 IP
  3. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Read the original post of the sticky at the top of the forum. Might help... thats why it's there. :)

robjones, Sep 25, 2009 IP
    snowbird likes this.
  4. Agent000

Agent000 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Because they not there to provide a listing service to webmasters

Agent000, Sep 25, 2009 IP
  5. caprichoso

caprichoso Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you want to be really informed, read the whole thread.

caprichoso, Sep 25, 2009 IP
  6. trustnobodynever

trustnobodynever Peon

Best Answers:
    Because most probably they are considering your site like spammy , and since the directory it's seems to be full already of spam sites most probably they aren't need more :D

And you can wait few more months ... don't hold your breath in meantime

The sticky post is just a resume of this part of forum within few months do you really think Rob this helped someone who actually was looking for a solution for their needs ? not official '' deceptive advertising '' witch we all know about it already since years .

yeah right , and the pigs flying we know ...

actually if we are thinking only a second if he really wanted to be informed he can read BEFORE opening another one thread correct ? that's prove hes maybe just too bored to read , or he opened the thread to have some str8 answers witch btw none can give him here since have a high risk of getting infractions and so on ...

NB. DMOZ doesn't have anyway any '' indexing '' feature , it's called LISTING . Indexing process suppose to have the site crawled by machine witch will add the information gathered into some kind of index ... :) that's not (* yet ) a feature of our lovely directory .

trustnobodynever, Sep 26, 2009 IP
    Shailendra Mishra likes this.
  7. caprichoso

Best Answers:
    You are totally right. Lately I have been punished while providing some proof about DMOZ abuse. Infraction-cause reported had nothing to do with the actual posts being penalized.

As for why DMOZ don't answer whether your submission was accepted or rejected. I guess it's part of a bigger mechanism which assures editors: nobody can see what they are actually doing from outside.

You could take a look to http://www.resource-zone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54096&highlight=point for an official answer to a similar question.

caprichoso, Sep 26, 2009 IP
  8. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    But they ARE there to collect websites and place them in categories... which by all accounts IS a service to webmasters. While you may disagree with the second part, disagree with the first and then by all means, explain what the ODP is all about.

Qryztufre, Sep 26, 2009 IP
  9. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Can you tell us what is in that sticky at the top which has not been copy & pasted by editors before thousands of times before? :rolleyes: It is the same BS as always.

The real reason that DMOZ has so much problem is because most popular categories are controlled by DMOZ mafia, so it is very few people who can actually edit and the number of mafia members is also declining because as ODP loses it's importance, they jump ship to other directories or come here and post. ;):D

gworld, Sep 27, 2009 IP
  10. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Feel free to use DPs new Google Search option to ID and post any phrases I cut and pasted. I say there are none. Shall we bet our DP logins on it? Put up or shut up.

Don't make claims that are clearly false... it doesnt exactly lend credibility to other things you say if you get caught in an obvious falsehood.

Have a nice day. :)

robjones, Sep 27, 2009 IP
  11. Shailendra Mishra

Shailendra Mishra Peon

Best Answers:
    Its not delay.. It is actually refuse in one sense... The sites they like are accepted very quickly and other sites remain pending forever. They dont notify the submitters and don't reply to queries to avoid disputes. Volunteer editors are not privileged to handle disputes and top staff is too little.
    They accept only those sites which are actually very good and OLD and Original in Idea.
    Dont waste your time on DMoz there are many other good DoFollow Directories. Best will be one totally designed for your niche..

Shailendra Mishra, Sep 27, 2009 IP
  12. trustnobodynever

trustnobodynever Peon

Best Answers:
    well most probably you will get enough infractions like I`ve got before and will finish with few months of break , actually here was more than us witch got similar punishments ... it's a nice thing to see your own nickname banned here , be proud .

NO they consider they doing this service for PEOPLES who visit their directory actually they aren't understand only peoples who actually visit their directory are those army of small webmasters who are trying to do something to earn finally somewhere few penny working online . They are enough dumb to think some averange joe will come online and will see their directory and maybe will click on one of this links :) .... pathetic deceptive thinking made and still keep alive just because they need a false reason to do what they are doing .

G do you remember one of my replies few months back on the blog where I used '' Vio '' nickname ? I think I`ve said here about this '' copy/paste '' thing ... this peoples living into some kind of continue dream circle where they are caught like zombies , and they have hundreds of contradictory things said before ... I don't know if here is some kind of mafia style work , what everyone of us know and see , they are using any available way to keep the mess away and soon when someone come with a prove they are dirty they are trying hard to cover it ...

why to use google search option ? we can't read ? or you can't write something by your own ? the sticky post witch you mentioned before it's just same garbage re-writen maybe with some synonyms , but if anyone with more than 2 cell brains read it and bother to trace some of Jim's posts for example will see same things said over and over again since years. Funny it's spam it's on the directory with or without that deceptive advertising texts dude and nothing was done since then . Those rules are ancient when we are speaking on '' digital era time '' , was written 10-20 years ago guess what now even cell phones have more power than computers witch was used to edit those texts . Look at this way ... over the years everything was changed , not only our computers , our life's was changed .... IF those folks who control the directory can't understand what they was supposed to do isn't fit to actual reality of what means IM / spam / advertising and so on , only thing what we can do it's to have fun with them making them to look like fools on forums like this ones and on blogs like David Naylor's blog ...

trustnobodynever, Sep 27, 2009 IP
  13. caprichoso

Best Answers:
    hehe, I don't care being banned (unfairly) as a result of speaking my mind with respect. Nor being punished for providing evidence about DMOZ corruption.
    I though it was a more impartial forum, just like I said before in other thread. But I guess I was wrong after all.

As for this post (http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=1504323#5), it seem some moderator around here read it and decided to prove me wrong. Because after writing it, every thing I said wasn't happening here, actually happened. Got some posts deleted just for saying a post was biased. :)

caprichoso, Sep 27, 2009 IP
  14. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Shit is shit, no matter how you package it.;)

There is nothing new or even not always correct information in your post which makes me wonder why it was made to sticky or even how it was made to a sticky. :rolleyes:

But I don't think that was the real reason for you getting upset about my post, most likely the real reason was the part about DMOZ mafia and how some of them jumped the sinking ship to try earning somewhere else. ;)

gworld, Sep 27, 2009 IP
  15. caprichoso

Best Answers:
    I second that. I don't reckon such post qualifies for a sticky in this forum since the information presented is biased and doesn't show the complete state of affairs.

Ok, it's true. It's not in my hands deciding which posts go sticky here. But I guess I can say I don't agree without being penalized. Can't I? :cool:

caprichoso, Sep 27, 2009 IP
  16. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    The reason it got stickied, and I'm happy to lay claim to that, was because the same things got said over and over. I have no idea about "copy and paste" exactly but certainly it got to be a bit of a broken record.

Oh, and since we've effectively hijacked the OP's thread, this will be closed. GWorld: if you want to debate our choice of sticky head over to S&F

sarahk, Sep 27, 2009 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.