1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

My affiliate link file is suddenly #1 in google

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by jamotide, Sep 26, 2009.

I use a html file with a refresh javascript command to mask my affiliate links. Now on of those files is suddenly number 1 in google for the product site it links to. The original product site is nowhere to be found for its name. Instead my file is sitting there, but with the meta text of the original site. The result is that everyone who looked for that product comes onto that site through my link. This generates 150 people and around 10 sales per day.
    Now this is awesome for me obviously, but I didn't do anything to that site or link for months. I have no clue why this happened now, and it never happened on any of the other 50 link files I have on this and my other sites.
    Now I am wondering WTF happened, and I am expecting for the product site admin to complain to me any day now, possibly threatening to cancel my affiliation.

To make it more clear, my site is example.com, and the file with the link mask is called product.com, now in google the result says example.com/product.com, but with all the meta and title from the original target product site. Plus the real product.com people were looking foris nowhere to be found in the results. Even when you type the full "http://www.product.com" only my site turns up.

jamotide, Sep 26, 2009 IP
  2. atniz

atniz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If the site nowhere to be found on google, it is most probably because it may end up in google penalty box or sandbox.

So, don't worry about it and enjoy the earnings.

Maybe, this is your early Christmas gift.

atniz, Sep 26, 2009 IP
  3. harizd

harizd Peon

Best Answers:
    lol sometimes SEO is best not done.

Do you really care as long as you make 10 sales a day?

harizd, Sep 26, 2009 IP
  4. jamotide

jamotide Member

Best Answers:
    I just checked, and it is on rank 27 for its name. That might not even be unusual, this type of site drives traffic to it through referal schemes mostly, so they probably did not do any SEO and linkbuilding. But still there must be some explanation for the sudden rise of my linkfile.
    Note that only this file is ranked, the rest of the site is only getting 3 or 4 visitors a day, I did not build many links for it yet.

@harizd Well I am worried that I'll get complaints. Also there's this evil thought in the back of my mind of recreating this effect for other links lol

5. ideas2all

ideas2all Peon

Best Answers:
    Amaing . I dont under stand : If your are selling to prouct , why is the product owner should be mad at you ?
    You are selling his product ! Am I Right ?

Sammy,

ideas2all, Sep 26, 2009 IP
  6. Sem-Advance

Sem-Advance Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Its only a temporary thing..........;)

Sem-Advance, Sep 26, 2009 IP
  7. jamotide

jamotide Member

Best Answers:
    how do you figure? Did this happen to you before? And do you know why?

8. 5starAffiliates

5starAffiliates Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It's a Google anomaly, I've seen it happen before and have seen merchants complain.

Merchants DO get mad when an affiliate bumps them out of the serps like this, but I'm not sure they should. You could always tell them (if they even notice and complain) that you'll be happy to change out that #1 ranking link and redirect it to one of their competitors instead. :p

5starAffiliates, Sep 26, 2009 IP