1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Links that suck and links that don't suck

Discussion in 'Link Development' started by MickeyFinn, Sep 6, 2009.

1. eye-of-sun

eye-of-sun Peon

Best Answers:
    You provide us with a lot of value information but when it is amatter of linking i think all links you get from web directories that indexed by google have high value and weight

eye-of-sun, Sep 8, 2009 IP
  2. selectsplat

selectsplat Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It depends entirely on the directories it gets submitted to. If google sees that you've submitted to 100's of spam directories that let just anyone in, then you can just as easily be banned from google altogether.

It's FAR better to manually submit to quality directories yourself than to take you chances on automated submissions to a bunch of crappy directories.

selectsplat, Sep 8, 2009 IP
  3. justkidding

justkidding Active Member

Best Answers:
    I don't agree to all as i have tested someways like footer links, signature links and it works. The best is the article directory column and it is well said above.

justkidding, Sep 8, 2009 IP
  4. MickeyFinn

MickeyFinn Active Member

Best Answers:
    I bet the keywords had a very little competition.

Directory links do suck but they aren't worthless. You can't get good rankings in competitive niches with just directories and PR 3 is pretty meaningless in the SERPs these days. I KNOW some directories have value but 99.5% of them don't. Another thing to remember is that directory submissions can be like blog commenting. You might submit but it might not get accepted.

I have some tests live on Angela's method and Link Wheeling and will post results in 2 weeks. I'm using keywords where we don't rank at all but the pages have good on-page optimisation. So will be easy to see if the methods have any affect. I know if I commissioned 20-30 blog posts for those keywords there definitely would be movement in the SERPs. Angela's method and the Link Wheel are certainly cheaper. Anyhow, will update in 1-2 weeks.

MickeyFinn, Sep 16, 2009 IP
  5. Pixelrage

Pixelrage Peon

Best Answers:
    Totally agree with the OP. Directory links have helped one of my sites get top positions for 3-keyword terms, it was a little test I did...and it was only with around 50 backlinks from the directory/solicitations forum here on DP. Maybe that's just on a case by case basis though.

Forum signature links are completely worthless, it's something I've tested out many times. (not counting the actual interested clickers...)

Pixelrage, Sep 16, 2009 IP
  6. MickeyFinn

MickeyFinn Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have results in on an Angela's method test already. I just ran the rank checker for the term and it has gone from nowhere to 30. This is a pretty competitive SERP. So looks like it definitely works but I believe you should be cautious. Remember that mining competitor's links these days is very easy so if you shot to #1 in a SERP from obscurity using just this method it wouldn't be hard for your competition to see what you're doing and either clone it or report you to Google. But whether Google cares or not is a different matter.

MickeyFinn, Sep 17, 2009 IP
  7. alexpr07

alexpr07 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Questions about Article link building:
    1. If I write 1 unique article, should I submit it to 1 article directory? or 5? or 10? or 100? or 500?
    Some say that since the content is the same it will not pass the "link juice" but since it's different article directories, wouldn't the pages be different and considered to be different by Google? Also, the recent news are that Google does not penalize for duplicate content....

2. What are the best article directories?

alexpr07, Sep 17, 2009 IP
  8. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    I agree with most of your points, however blog commenting does serve a purpose. You shouldn't post a comment just for the link. Blog commenting allows to to network with other webmasters in your niche. If you post a nice relevant comment the blog owner may check out your site and it may be the start of a good business relationship.

Even nofollow links are not worthless ya know.

dcristo, Sep 17, 2009 IP
  9. tejaswini

tejaswini Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks NexDog for creating such a good thread. I too agree that good content and doing article submission is a good and ethical way of link building. But sometimes, dofollw comment links and forum signatures give out a bit. Well, thanks for compiling the points in a great way! I liked this thread

tejaswini, Sep 17, 2009 IP
  10. linkesxchange

linkesxchange Peon

Best Answers:
    angela links do spidered it just takes time and you should also link to a few of them so the search engine will find them fast.

linkesxchange, Sep 18, 2009 IP
  11. MUSTANSIR LAKDA

MUSTANSIR LAKDA Peon

Best Answers:
    Congratulations on such a detailed information on the subject, it has really enlightened me. Thanks!

MUSTANSIR LAKDA, Sep 18, 2009 IP
  12. arv

arv Active Member

Best Answers:
    Interesting post. As you said I believe blog comments are worthless.

arv, Sep 18, 2009 IP
  13. MickeyFinn

MickeyFinn Active Member

Best Answers:
    I will have Link Wheel results in 2-3 days. I'm pretty sure they are worthless for two reasons:

1) They are interlinked in a way that Google surely has to see.

2) All these "web 2.0" got "slapped" about 6 months ago because using them to pass strong link juice was identified by Google. Do a search for the "Social Media Slap" and you'll see lots of info from respected SEOs.

But the only way to know is to test with a certain keyword and see its movement in the SERPs.

MickeyFinn, Sep 19, 2009 IP
  14. moneymoguls

moneymoguls Peon

Best Answers:
    If you want the right answer...try it for yourself. I did what others said for 2 years and went no where. Now I try different things to see what works. Now I make money!

moneymoguls, Sep 23, 2009 IP
  15. MickeyFinn

MickeyFinn Active Member

Best Answers:
    Okay, results are in from the Link Wheel test. I targeted two terms - one I was in the 30s for and another I didn't rank for at all. After a week or so the term I didn't rank for at all I now rank at #36. The secondary term saw some nice results at first but that has since dropped further. It's a pretty competitive term that I've been playing for months so it might be moving around due to some over-optimisation or perhaps Google initially inflates a serp when there's activity and levels it out later.

Does it work? Sure, it helps. I don't think it helps you "Dominate" as most Link Wheelers like to put in their thread titles. It got me on teh map for a term but page 4 is a bit lame for all the hype the method has. Would have though maybe top of page 3 or bottom of page 2 at least for a competitive serp where the first 15 are the real contenders.

But I can build on it. :)

MickeyFinn, Sep 24, 2009 IP
    simpseo likes this.
  16. bruceslogos

bruceslogos Peon

Best Answers:
    Forum posting is still a great help for improving SERPS

bruceslogos, Sep 24, 2009 IP
  17. enhu

enhu Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    forum sig sucks? you have a sig here :D

enhu, Sep 24, 2009 IP
  18. tyler9953

tyler9953 Peon

Best Answers:
    Good thread. I am always trying to learn more. Lots of diferent opinions but the testing should obviously give some crediance to what is working and how well. I have found that forum post that are relevant, do help. In fact, those links beat out some of my links that are on pages with rank, whereas the forum links are on pages with no rank.

tyler9953, Sep 24, 2009 IP
  19. newlogo

newlogo Peon

Best Answers:
    forum posting will help, i personally get benefit from that

newlogo, Sep 24, 2009 IP
  20. MickeyFinn

MickeyFinn Active Member

Best Answers:
    I use a forum sig here to draw attention to the things I have going on DP that need attention. :p

Forum sig links really carry no link juice, I also tested this on a keyword and signed up on 30 forums related to my niche using teh keyword and saw absolutely zero movement.

Many people on DP will say they've had good results doing this and that but I don't believe 99% of such comments. Most posts on DP are just spam to get a sig in somewhere. :p

So yea, if you think forum sigs are helping your serps you are truly at the bottom of the SEO manure heap. :D

MickeyFinn, Sep 25, 2009 IP