1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Some quotes for a new mag...

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by Y.L. Prinzel, Sep 21, 2009.

I'm working on an article about copywriting forums (like this one) for a new web-based magazine for non-fiction freelance writers and I'd like to get some input from you guys about:

1.What you think writers can get out of these copywriting forums and
    2. How you think they should be used in order to provide the most benefit.

If you'd like to submit your input, you can do so here in the thread or via PM. It would be great if you could include just a small bio too in case I use your quote. If there is no bio, I'll just use your user name.

Thanks in advance

Y.L. Prinzel, Sep 21, 2009 IP
  2. lostpoet

lostpoet Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Copywriting forums are good for getting advice from senior writers such as yourself. They help bust a lot of myths surrounding the freelance writing/copywriting market. They are also good BS detectors, if you know what I mean ;). Also, they are obviously great for networking and socializing. Exchanging ideas, requesting a critique of your work, problem solving, sharing experience – the works.

The best way to use them depends on what you are looking for. As a newbie you are better off poring through the important threads and asking questions where they are relevant. As an intermediate you should engage in a wide variety of discussions to gain exposure and experience. As a pro/senior you can establish yourself as master of your art, help out others and build your reputation even further by simply posting what you know wherever it is relevant and useful. On the whole, I think the best way to use any forum is to minimize your posts and maximize your reading.

Just my two cents, hope that helps. Best of luck with the piece. :)

lostpoet, Sep 22, 2009 IP
    Y.L. Prinzel likes this.
  3. cd928

cd928 Peon

Best Answers:
    1.What you think writers can get out of these copywriting forums?

I'll refer to warrior forum in particular since it is one of the better-known copywriting forum. These forums can provide newbie copywriters an insight about how more experienced copywriters work. Different copywriters have different ways of solving problems or approaching writing copy, so it's great to see the different ideas of these copywriters.

Aside from that, copywriters could also put up their copy for critique. As a writer, you can't just depend on your own editing skills to clean up what you've written. It helps to have others have a look at your work too.

2. How you think they should be used in order to provide the most benefit.

Using copywriting forums as an avenue to have a meaningful discussion on approaching copy I think provides the most benefit.

HTH :D

cd928, Sep 22, 2009 IP
    Suki likes this.
  4. Suki

Suki Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    1. I would agree with the lostpoet on this one. The best thing I've got out of the copywriting forums is the advice of people experienced in the field, and who are not averse to helping out youngsters like myself. The job boards are a good opening for a newbie, and the comment threads also provide a perspective on the rates one can expect to earn. As an Indian, without online forums I would have continued thinking that $3 per 500 words was an insanely high rate.

2. This one depends upon who is using it. Evaluations of one's writing by experienced professionals is always a help, especially when backed up by tips on how to improve. General discussions on the art and craft of writing, on research and other facets of copywriting are also useful.
    One thing I'd strongly like to state is that every user should be discerning while reading posts on online forums. It's far too easy to get sucked into the net of mediocre, faulty language... and then to start using it oneself. With so much information available on tap, it's easy to forget that copywriting forums can well and truly kill one's sense of grammar and style.

(I hope this post is intelligible, it's nearly 4 am and I'm exhausted)

Suki, Sep 22, 2009 IP
    Y.L. Prinzel likes this.
  5. oo87

oo87 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    1). Of course the information that is located here is wonderful, especially for people that are still technically in their infancy in the writing game. The truth about most content creation is that it is poorly done. When you are working almost purely online you are running the risk of learning how to do things the 'wrong' way. Having a source of actual writers who do it in a professional capacity is a wonderful resource, not to mention just a nice place to vent frustration. Because, let's face it, we get our fair share of irritation in the form of difficult clients.

2). I use it as a resource for information, but also as a social networking link. It is infuriating trying to talk to people who call themselves writers on a personal level about the exhaustive effort of being a freelancer, and then finding out they are spinners or one of my competitors asking for a fraction of a cent per word for stolen content. It's a little betrayal that is informative, but ultimately better off avoided.

Not sure what you were looking for in a bio, but here goes:

Olivia Anderson is an freelance writer specializing in marketing and content for small and medium sized businesses. She lives in Salt Lake City, Utah, and runs her business from her home.

oo87, Sep 22, 2009 IP
  6. Y.L. Prinzel

Y.L. Prinzel Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks guys--appreciate the input :)

Y.L. Prinzel, Sep 22, 2009 IP
  7. Sneakyheathen

Sneakyheathen Active Member

Best Answers:
    1.What you think writers can get out of these copywriting forums?

Copywriting forums allow people to ask questions that they couldn't ask in say..a blogging forum. Real writers can discuss things like building up their businesses, or dealing with clients, promoting their businesses, etc.

These forums give you the ability to ask more in-depth questions. They also give you the ability to answer other people's questions to build your credibility and authority. You can help the community and represent yourself without shouting "HIRE ME!" at someone.

2. How you think they should be used in order to provide the most benefit

Ask questions. Answer questions. Interact. These forums are meant to connect us based on this job/interest/skill and more people should focus on building solid working relationships. They also allow us to showcase our style on a more basic level. Who would you hire? The guy who answers in one word or the guy who writes a perfect paragraph chocked full of great information?

Be yourself and show your skills.

---

Okay I dunno if that sounded good but here's my little bio thing:

Corey Freeman is a 17-year-old female freelance writer. She currently lives in the United States and hopes to one day open a publishing company. Find out more at writerseven.com

Sneakyheathen, Sep 24, 2009 IP
  8. Y.L. Prinzel

Y.L. Prinzel Peon

Best Answers:
    Corey, I can't possibly use a quote from someone young enough to be my daughter. Kidding :) Thank you very much.

I've gotta have the copy in today folks so I don't need any more quotes. Thanks everyone.

Y.L. Prinzel, Sep 24, 2009 IP
  9. Sneakyheathen

Sneakyheathen Active Member

Best Answers:
    Lol I'll sign a release paper. :)

Sneakyheathen, Sep 24, 2009 IP