1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Tips On Increasing Prices

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by oo87, Sep 21, 2009.

Well, I have come a long way in the last year as a freelance writer. I have gone from building a reputation at scraps per word to holding a fairly average rate for the work I do, and where I find my clients. But I am aware of the fact that I can earn more per project, and I am looking to finally take that leap into real contracting work.

The question is: how do I get there? I have a number of clients, and some I plan on keeping despite my raised rate (they give me so much work, much of it insanely easy) that they make up for the fact that the rate per word isn't as high as I would like it to be ($0.02 - $0.04 per word for bulk orders).

I am making up a professional site (finally!) to offer my services, rather than building clients the hard way. But I was wondering if anyone had any tips that might help me boost my rate more easily, and change my client bracket. Because most of the buyers here are interested in hiring writers for cheap, rather than quality, I rarely find clients on DP.

Any better sources out there that the merit of the work means more than the lowest bid? Any guides you can point me towards setting up my rate? Keep in mind I am not actually desperate for more money, as I make a decent living working part time to supplement mine and my husband's income. But this is what I want to do with my life, and so that is not always going to be the way it is.

Incidentally, I have bought your book, Y.L. Prinzel, and I look forward to reading it. I have always enjoyed your posts on DP, and I have no doubt that your work will be equally informative. :)

oo87, Sep 21, 2009 IP
  2. Y.L. Prinzel

Y.L. Prinzel Peon

Best Answers:
    The real trick is just to do it. Jenn had a post on her blog a few months ago in which she challenged writers to give their next client inquiry a higher price than they normally would--and she was exactly right in doing so. Last year when I finally started looking for actual clients, I asked for a higher price with every single client. Now I've found a place where I am comfortable and I leave it alone, but that's how I reached it.

It's not impossible to get higher paying gigs at DP, but it is easier if you go where your client is. Not sure where you got your current clients, so it's a little difficult to discuss that. I love LinkedIn personally and Twitter has been good to me (although it's fickle). Also, forums focused on my specialty are great.

Don't be afraid to apply for gigs too. Sometimes, people pay .05 and up for advertised gigs, and there is no shame in applying for work.

Just stay focused on your message, stay focused on your value and keep your message focused on your target client.

Y.L. Prinzel, Sep 21, 2009 IP
  3. sandyoops

sandyoops Peon

Best Answers:
    people who charge high rates are highly qualified in their respective fields,like bloggers who write for big newspapers

sandyoops, Sep 21, 2009 IP
  4. latoya

latoya Active Member

Best Answers:
    Decide your new rate and start using that rate when you quote new clients. I've raised my rates at least once a year for the past few years and that method has always worked for me.

You can choose whether you want to keep existing clients at the same rate or raise their rates, too. You might increase a current client's rate if you're not getting paid enough for the work you're doing. Of course, you risk losing their business if you raise their rate, but you'll also have some free time to scope out clients that pay more.

I don't actively look for work on DP. Every once in awhile I find a job that I don't mind taking, but it's rare. Most of my DP work comes through referrals from other writers and previous buyers and from people who've seen my posts. Help clients find you by linking to your writing portfolio in your signature. You can also advertise your services in the BST forum and link to that thread in your signature.

latoya, Sep 21, 2009 IP
  5. Sneakyheathen

Sneakyheathen Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'm the same as Latoya, I don't go looking for DP work, people will regularly come to me (which is a great feeling by the way). If you want to raise your rates: just do it.

As far as old clients are concerned, simply explain to them that you are planning on raising your rates in order to sustain a livable income. Don't ask - tell. Now, if it's a bulk-order client that you can easily manage in addition to other jobs, then consider working with them (if they respect you). If it's a regular but non-essential client, raise your prices.

I know raising rates can be kind of a psychological thing, but just remember, if you're worth it, people will pay you. It's all about how you present yourself.

Sneakyheathen, Sep 22, 2009 IP
  6. rexertea

rexertea Active Member

Best Answers:
    you seem to be an accomplished writer. I enjoyed your post. Is there any formula to get clients who provide good writers a chance to get work regularly at a descent price?

rexertea, Sep 22, 2009 IP
  7. lostpoet

lostpoet Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I actually went around doing this exact thing last month. Here's what I did –

The first thing I did was switch to my own niche (tech and gadgets). By switching I mean I scoped out only those ads that wanted to tech bloggers. Next I contacted the posters with my new rates. This being DP, most replied saying it was too high for them. No surprises there. The few that were left were positive and you know what happens from there on.

I enjoy writing for my niche and it is much easier to keep track of things when you have only one niche to deal with. This results in better quality work, which justifies my rates.

So IMO, specialization can give you the rates you want (and more, trust me) and give you the satisfaction that you will need to keep on doing this in the years to come.

Now I am no Y.L. Prinzel or JHMattern (ladies *bows*) ;) but going for the niche I love has definitely made a lot of difference. Combine it with what Prinzel, SneakyHeathen and the others are saying and I'm sure it will fetch you what you are targeting now.

lostpoet, Sep 22, 2009 IP
  8. cd928

cd928 Peon

Best Answers:
    You made a good decision by deciding to keep your clients who think can afford your new rates. Just an addition to that: inform them about that decision several months before you actually implement your new rates just so you don't surprise them. It would also be great if you can explain to them why you're doing this, although keep them related to the work that you do (e.g. providing them better services like phone support, etc.)

HTH :)

cd928, Sep 22, 2009 IP
  9. oo87

oo87 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Thanks for all the great advice, guys! I have decided to just jump in with both eyes opened. I will be posting a sales thread here at DP to catch a few stragglers who are comfortable with paying decent rates, and sorting out my current client list. With me luck!

oo87, Sep 22, 2009 IP
  10. lostpoet

lostpoet Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Good luck oo87 and remember to read between the lines when your (potential) clients reply.

lostpoet, Sep 22, 2009 IP
  11. rock785

rock785 Peon

Best Answers:
    As a general rule, I would inform my clients in advance about any changes in price. One always runs the fear of losing potential clients with increased rates.

rock785, Sep 23, 2009 IP
  12. rexertea

rexertea Active Member

Best Answers:
    One of the things that bother me is payments. How do you accept payments? does your clients pay you some part in advance, or you take the entire payment after the completion and submission of work. I am asking this because many clients of mine ditched me after they got the articles.

rexertea, Sep 24, 2009 IP
  13. Y.L. Prinzel

Y.L. Prinzel Peon

Best Answers:
    Hmmm, no, there's no formula. Just apply for gigs and network with your potential client--that's really the most basic info. Make sure you have a portfolio and that is "talks" to your potential client.

If you aren't getting clients through networking, you've got to be marketing or sending out queries. I always suggest at least 15 "contacts" a day because, in general, people will score one out of 15 gigs. My new writers never actually do 15 though, because they know I can't beat them over the internet...;)

Oh, BTW--when I say apply for and market, I do NOT mean here in BST. Go to Jenn's site or aboutfreelancewriting.com for job leads, subscribe to the Craigslist RSS feeds for every major city, go to journalismjobs.com, mediabistro.com, scour the net for jobs in your specialty. Also, start identifying websites in your specialty to cold email and offer your services to.

Now, coffee.

Y.L. Prinzel, Sep 24, 2009 IP
  14. Matt Willard

Matt Willard Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Also be sure to hit up Jenn's other site, Query-Free Freelancer for marketing tips. Right now she's running a 30 day marketing boot camp which I've been working on. She'll definitely help you if you have questions.

Matt Willard, Sep 24, 2009 IP