1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Niche Amazon Affiliate Store - Minisite Experiment

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by StrangeLife, Sep 17, 2009.

Hello All!

Today i have launched my Amazon affiliate store, as you probably know the commision rate for being an affiliate with Amazon is pretty low, around 6%.

As an experiment i'm going to test my knowledge and share the results to you guys. Here is a list of what i have done so far...

1. Purchased a .net domain name.
    2. Installed wordpress with a theme reflecting the products i'm selling.
    3. Created 10 posts of amazon products with my affiliate link in each.
    The domain name i have chosen is a keyword, here are some stats on this...

Google Results with keyword = 37,300,000
    Googe Results with "keyword" = 6,430
    Google Results with allintitle:"keyword" = 1,550

Amount of Exact searches a month = 2,900

I'm aiming to be in the top 3 of the front page of Google within a week, this is establishable due to the low PageRank and linkbacks of my competition, hopefully. I believe Google will give my site more authority due to the keyword as being my domain name and my linkbuilding techniques. I will go into this later on. :)

The affiliate products i'm selling average around a price of $40, lets do some math as an example of what could happen..

Commision = 6%.
    6% of $40 = $2.40 Per Sale

Say 2000 Visitors a month with a conversion of 5% in sales = 100.
    100 x $2.40 = $240 a month.

I would be happy with that!
    Once the affiliate site has been ranked i will move onto the next one ;)

Throughout the next few days i will let you know on the progress.

StrangeLife, Sep 17, 2009 IP
  2. christian231

christian231 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Sounds like you've got a pretty good idea of what you're doing. I'm curious to see how it goes. Keep updating as you progress.

christian231, Sep 17, 2009 IP
  3. Andynstah

Andynstah Peon

Best Answers:
    Have to agree there, seems like you have a sound plan in place, really looking forward to seeing what you come up with since I have had an interest in on getting one of the stores aswell.
    I'm just starting out at the moment so it would have been a distraction more then anything.

Andynstah, Sep 17, 2009 IP
  4. paulp22

paulp22 Peon

Best Answers:
    Keep us posted as we're all interested in your results.

paulp22, Sep 17, 2009 IP
  5. Edynas

Edynas Peon

Best Answers:
    It's a good strategy and I know it works. Maybe an idea to look for a bit higher priced products as there are a lot of categories/niches that you still can find the same competition and having a product that sells for $500+ adds more commission then one of $40

I have created about 80 sites in the last few weeks and a lot have #1, #2 or #3 ranking in Yahoo without any real promotion besides rss submission and a few bookmarks. The exact keyphrase in the domainname works wonders. Just need to do some promotion now to get them in Google also at those places as most are on the second or third page or nowhere to be found (yet)

I just finished a wordpress plugin that will enable you to make Amazon niche sites in a few minutes. You can find it at http://wpamaniche.com

Edynas, Sep 18, 2009 IP
  6. tieu

tieu Peon

Best Answers:
    Write good reviews about the product and why people should buy it will help to convert

tieu, Sep 18, 2009 IP
  7. Christian Little

Christian Little Peon

Best Answers:
    Your math is bad, you left out a step.

Start with 2,000 visitors/month to your website.

Assume 10% will clickthrough to Amazon (that's being generous tbh). 2000x10% = 200 clicks

200 clicks x 5% conversion = 10 sales

10 sales x $2.40 commission = $24/month made

You made some very big assumptions in your original numbers in that everybody that comes to your website from a search engine will click through (which is not the case, in reality it's more like 1-5% will), and that 5% of the people that do click through convert into a sale (which is not the case, most websites convert at 2-3%).

I'm not saying it won't work, but it's extremely unlikely you'll make the $240 you are expecting each month.

Christian Little, Sep 18, 2009 IP
  8. 5starAffiliates

5starAffiliates Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I love these real world case studies. Very helpful for all the newbies out there.

Thanks for doing this and keep us updated.

5starAffiliates, Sep 18, 2009 IP
  9. anhbloginc

anhbloginc Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That's pretty good idea. But do you know which store using to do this good ?

anhbloginc, Sep 18, 2009 IP
  10. StrangeLife

StrangeLife Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Your probably better at this than me, do you recommend a wordpress theme that converts well?

Thanks for the feedback, i'm expecting to see more than 10% that click through to amazon, the niche i have selected is targeted to those who want to purchase the product, its pretty much a one page website. Have to see.

I'm using wordpress and manually entering the products.

Just a quick update, over the weekend i reached 10th position on the front page of the google results from not doing anything, quite remarkable actually. This lasted a whole day and then decided to disappear. Odd. :confused:

Fortunately enough a friend at work loves to write articles and she whipped out 3 in a couple of hours. Will create a linkwheel and hopefully the site will get ranked.

StrangeLife, Sep 21, 2009 IP
  11. Beanz

Beanz Peon

Best Answers:
    Great post! I'm planning to set up a store on my blog aswell.
    Keep us updated on how it goes!

Beanz, Sep 21, 2009 IP
  12. Grapex

Grapex Peon

Best Answers:
    I have around 10 of these amazon affiliate stores for High Search volume keywords (over 1000 exact searches/month) and products ranging from $100 up to the $800 mark.

I managed to get all but one of the terms I was promoting to the first page of google but unfortunately it hasn't generate that much in sales, nothing significant anyways.

I'm curious to see how you do with products under $100, maybe thats the way to go with these amazon affiliate sites.

Good luck

Grapex, Sep 22, 2009 IP
  13. StrangeLife

StrangeLife Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Ok, so it has been 10 days, the website is currently on the 1st page of Google, 8th position for the keyword that is getting searched 2,900 times a month, i'm not getting any traffic from this though, i would of expected some people to scroll down a little and click on the site. Not sure on this one?

Going to continue link building.

Suggestions welcome :)

StrangeLife, Sep 28, 2009 IP
  14. Dave88

Dave88 Peon

Best Answers:
    what is the sales figure up to now?

Dave88, Sep 28, 2009 IP
  15. nextz77

nextz77 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think he didnt get any sales according to his statement that getting no traffic form search engine, but I`m sure his sites will bump with traffic soon and converting to sales if the keyword really get those amount of searches.

nextz77, Sep 28, 2009 IP
  16. Pixelrage

Pixelrage Peon

Best Answers:
    You know there's no forecasting in this stuff :)

2,900 searches doesn't mean 2,900 people ready to buy that product. You're also counting on someone buying these products with a 24-hour cookie. That lessens the chances a great deal. (that's even considering the Google Keyword Tool is even anywhere near right, which it isn't most of the time)

Pixelrage, Sep 28, 2009 IP
  17. akdiver

akdiver Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I found that you really need to rank top 5 to get any clicks. I think its a similar phenomenom to adsense wher it has to be above the fold. Just a theory about the clicks.

Also how inviting is your meta title and descriptions? They can affect your google click thrus.

keep us posted

akdiver, Oct 6, 2009 IP
  18. chicokid

chicokid Peon

Best Answers:
    Whats google showing as the description? Its its good and related to the product you should start getting some clicks. Expect to get bounced around the rankings for awhile though, so dont get too comfy with page 1. Keep building links.

chicokid, Oct 6, 2009 IP
  19. Edynas

Edynas Peon

Best Answers:
    Do you have an update? Wondering if the traffic came thru.

Edynas, Oct 19, 2009 IP
  20. owmc01

owmc01 Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm interested in an update also. I use Amazon as one source of income, but I haven't figured out the right combination to make good money strictly from Amazon. I'd like to hear about your success or not so successful venture.

owmc01, Jan 5, 2011 IP