1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Black text versus dark grey text

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by norfstar, Sep 18, 2009.

I've noticed a few websites use shade of dark grey for text (on a white/pale background) instead of black. I have always used black before, but am wondering if dark grey looks/performs slightly better. Does anyone have any views on which is preferable?

For the purpose of clarity, assume by black I mean #000000 and dark grey is #333333 (as used on Facebook).

norfstar, Sep 18, 2009 IP
  2. Kerosene

Kerosene Alpha & Omega™ Staff

Best Answers:
    I'm not sure if it performs better or not, but I personally think a few shades lighter than #000000 looks better. #000000 can sometimes look a bit harsh and jaggy to me.

I use #525252 (even lighter than #333333) a lot too, which makes anything #000000 really stand out. And because I can remember the numbers :D

Kerosene, Sep 18, 2009 IP
    norfstar likes this.
  3. Stat_jack

Stat_jack Active Member

Best Answers:
    Agree With kerosene

Stat_jack, Sep 18, 2009 IP
  4. jamesicus

jamesicus Peon

Best Answers:
    Maybe more relaxing for clear, younger eyes, but terrible for visitors with diminished vision or older eyes (like me) even when using corrective glasses. I usually increase the text size via the keyboard a couple of increments when I encounter "faint" text (most vision impaired users do this) which sometimes breaks the page layout unless the Web author has followed the principle of Interoperable page creation. Some visitors may disable stylesheets or image display or use a screen reader/textual Browser to compensate for faint text.

James

jamesicus, Sep 18, 2009 IP
  5. Kerosene

Kerosene Alpha & Omega™ Staff

Best Answers:
    I don't think #333333 (or even #525252) can be considered "faint".

[​IMG]

Kerosene, Sep 18, 2009 IP
  6. Kayarc

Kayarc Peon

Best Answers:
    I rarely ever us pure black text as it does seem a little harsher on the eyes. You do not want it too grey though. The perfect shade is almost a faded black. If someone has to ask if it is still black or not then it is the right shade.

Kayarc, Sep 18, 2009 IP
    norfstar likes this.
  7. Maggie2009

Maggie2009 Peon

Best Answers:
    Here is a link that might help with different color backgrounds, trying to see what will work for a different color text, especially a black ground. I do use different color backgrounds with texture and different colored text, although sometimes I do revert back to black text or a lighter shade of black (dark grey).

http://www.w3schools.com/HTML/html_colornames.asp

Maggie2009, Sep 18, 2009 IP
  8. alistair80

alistair80 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I prefer dark grey or grey to black...specially for articles or blog posts! It appears to be more soothing to the eyes...

alistair80, Sep 18, 2009 IP