1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Bringing quality users to my forum

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by FutureCPA, Sep 18, 2009.

Hey all. I had a quick question regarding a Chicago Bears forum I assist in running at:

www.bearsfansonline.com.

Our forum is a bit unique in that no section of the forum can be viewed without registering. This is due to the fact that that we're a splinter group from another forum which had the same format. When we moved to our new home there was almost a 100% consensus that we keep it the same. My members felt that adding a step to being able to view the forums would keep out anyone who wasn't completely serious about being a member.

Now, while we he have a great core group of people, sign-ups have really slowed down and of those recent sign-ups few actively participate. Normally this wouldn't bug me but it's starting to seem like we've said everything their is to say to each other; we need new blood to liven things up a bit.

I've tried to do some research on bringing more users and have so far done the following things:

1.) Encouraged users to include a link to our site in their signatures of any other forums they post on

2.) Created a link page and contacted bloggers to exchange links

3.) I've personally signed up at various other football sites and have started posting in them with a link to my site in the signature

While I did notice we picked up a few more members after doing the above, none of them have yet to post.

In trying to brainstorm what makes us different then other Bears forums, I've come up with these things:

1.) 99% of our members our 21+ and are die-hard fans. There are no "immature" posts and no trolls to speak of.

2.) Almost all newspaper articles on the Bears are posted to our site for easy access

3.) We have one user who writes original articles both before and after every regular season game.

That being said, is there anything I can do to bring more active members to my site? Or should I just not expect any quick results and settle in for the long haul? Thanks.

FutureCPA, Sep 18, 2009 IP
  2. Sockmoney

Sockmoney Peon

Best Answers:
    I've read that you should try to engage new members by posting topics that ask a question, or ask for help, etc. Folks generally don't want to jump into a conversation that is going on when they are the new guy, unless their is an answer being sought or discussed... etc.

It is very difficult to build up an active community, and once you do, it remains very difficult to keep everyone happy... =)

Sockmoney, Sep 18, 2009 IP
  3. ~kev~

~kev~ Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Have you ever watched some of the old reruns of saturday night live? Especially the ones from the 1980s, when they had a skit about the bears and their coach?

Here is an example video I found - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lCBPaNE12w

I recommend you start a talk show on youtube pretty much like that one. Add some real humor to it, like how the head coach of the bears is going to fart and destroy the other team with poison gas, the bears will use lazers from their eyes and vaporize the other team,,,,,

Or you could have a serious show and discuss the bears and the game of the day. Invite some buddies over for the game, have a bar-b-q, have a few beers,,,, and have some fun.

Go to youtube and look up a couple of guys by the name of Travis and Jonathon, also know as red state update. Here is a link to their channel - http://www.youtube.com/travisandjonathan

Take travis and jonathan, mix it with the example of the bears commercial, and there ya go.

~kev~, Sep 18, 2009 IP
  4. Matt Willard

Matt Willard Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I agree with Sockmoney. Communication is the best thing to do here. Build that strong community. I used to run a big fan forum, and it wasn't very tight. If I ever do that again, I'd be sure to build relationships with a lot of people on there and make it the best community I can, to help word of mouth spread.

Matt Willard, Sep 18, 2009 IP