1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Are country domain names basically useless now? (co.uk .ca .es .com.au)

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by treeman22, Sep 17, 2009.

So i started climbing up the ranks with my keyword domain name, and then caffeine kicked in. It was nice to see rankings improve for my country, but it absolutely killed my rankings for the rest of the world.

went from page 2 to our of the top 100 listings.

It seems impossible to compete with any .com now (the first 5 pages for that keyword are all .com, .org, or .net)

anyone have any thoughts

treeman22, Sep 17, 2009 IP
  2. affiliates4seo

affiliates4seo Peon

Best Answers:
    Regional TLD's are very helpful to promote a site in a region. But, coming to the world wide we must have to go for global domains which are .com, .net. But, it is possible to get regional TLD's also world wide with little hard work.

Their is a no meaning of impossible, hard work can make anything.

All the best...

affiliates4seo, Sep 17, 2009 IP
  3. sharpshooter

sharpshooter Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think you need to think of more that just the country.

Google geo targeting will mean that domains like CyclingLondon.com or windsurfingmexico.com will be a better bet for targeted traffic

sharpshooter, Sep 17, 2009 IP
  4. VishalNair

VishalNair Peon

Best Answers:
    Tell you the mist important thing the best of all domain is the .info i have heard and watched that google give high ranking to this website and when it comes to internet its better to target the whole world rather than just a region or country

VishalNair, Sep 17, 2009 IP
  5. Steve Powers

Steve Powers Peon

Best Answers:
    CCTLD has its own advantage.I don't think it's useless.Since .com is the most popular,there're still lots of domains
    with other extensions.They are working very well in every field.Maybe for commercial use,.com is forever the best.
    At least in every country,the ccTLD is still very popular and many people like using ccTLD for their websites.
    Therefore,domains with all extensions gather together to guide us in the web.Each of them has its own value.

Steve Powers, Sep 17, 2009 IP
  6. sultanofseo

sultanofseo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    they are still very useful but not the only ranking criteria. you will still need to promote your site if you are in a competitive market. you get a head start but your .com competitor might get ahead at the end based on the link building and other promotional activities

sultanofseo, Sep 17, 2009 IP
  7. atniz

atniz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Recent changes in google.co.uk definitely give a lot of competition to the local TLD to compete.

Established .com .org .net sites that is related to UK are ranking higher these days.

Matt Cutts have given a proper explanation of this changes.

Personally, I think SEO for local search engine just got tougher.

You need more backlinks from local sites to rank higher in local search engine.

atniz, Sep 17, 2009 IP
  8. karpok

karpok Active Member

Best Answers:
    Regional domains are importnat, when a site targets a particlular region. But, when site targets world wide then the the prefered domain is .com.

karpok, Sep 17, 2009 IP
  9. zeefu21

zeefu21 Peon

Best Answers:
    DOMAIN NAMES with COUNTRY CODES still impact the search engines.

zeefu21, Sep 17, 2009 IP
  10. treeman22

treeman22 Peon

Best Answers:
    sorry.. i should've been a little more clear.

i'm not targeting local, i'm targeting the world.. but now my rankings are great for the country (ie - my domain that ends in .ca for canada), but sucks for every other country. Well this is according to google webmasters

my keyword is very competitive.. would love if someone had some time to review my site and make some suggestions? pm if you have a few minutes

cheers

treeman22, Sep 17, 2009 IP
  11. zeefu21

zeefu21 Peon

Best Answers:
    when you have countrycode as extensions of your domain name say like .ca .au
    as you would observe when you verify with the GWT account Google
    when it sees the country code as an extension of your domain name it will
    assume your targetting that area else GWT asks you which place you're Targetting ? So according to me if have purchased a domain name with country codes as your extension then you're are telling Google thats the area you are targetting !

zeefu21, Sep 17, 2009 IP
  12. ProxyHost

ProxyHost Peon

Best Answers:
    Well... co.uk and others that you mentioned are valuable, thought not as valuable as their .com counterparts .... but yes, they can get good rank in the listings...

ProxyHost, Sep 17, 2009 IP