1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google penalty on entire IP?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by raiderremo, Sep 16, 2009.

I had a website which penalized and de-index by google for spamming. Its in shared hosting where I have another 6 domains too. I am just wondering google might be penalize my other innocent domains too? because they all share same IP

raiderremo, Sep 16, 2009 IP
  2. kawebspy

kawebspy Peon

Best Answers:
    based on my experience, only the domain will be penalized.

kawebspy, Sep 16, 2009 IP
  3. raiderremo

raiderremo Member

Best Answers:
    Hope so, but feared of further attacks from Google

raiderremo, Sep 17, 2009 IP
  4. newlogo

newlogo Peon

Best Answers:
    black hat seo will give u penalty

newlogo, Sep 17, 2009 IP
  5. affiliates4seo

affiliates4seo Peon

Best Answers:
    No, search engine doesn't penalize the entire IP. Most of the people use shared hosting.

But, don't spam your other domains also with black hat.

If you use any black hat techniques to promote your sites, then surely your domain will be penalize.

Search engines stores data with the domain name, but not by IP.

affiliates4seo, Sep 17, 2009 IP
  6. imrevo

imrevo Peon

Best Answers:
    if that happend, is there any way to tell google that our site is not part of those spamming?

how about changing hosting? will this affect our SERP and PR?

imrevo, Sep 17, 2009 IP
  7. affiliates4seo

affiliates4seo Peon

Best Answers:
    You can send a Reconsideration request of penalized sites to Google from the Google webmaster tools. We can mention the cause to penalize in the description. According to our request, Google considers our request.

Change hosting doesn't effect serp or PR. As long as your URL stays the same, your site's listing in Google shouldn't be affected if you switch hosting companies or change your IP address. But, we have to take care when we change our hosting. If our site have a down time, then their is a chance of keyword position drop in serp. So, when you change the hosting company then follow the Google guidelines mentioned at: http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=34437

All the best...

Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
    affiliates4seo, Sep 17, 2009 IP
  8. imrevo

imrevo Peon

Best Answers:
    :) at least there is some way to express the mistake

imrevo, Sep 17, 2009 IP
  9. Canonical

Canonical Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Google DOES penalize entire IPs sometimes, but ONLY if they see widespread abuse on the same IP.

If, for example, Google found a huge link farm of hundreds of sites all being hosted on the same IP or a very large number of sites on the same IP abusing some blackhat technique then they WILL sometimes penalize the IP. Innocent sites get penalized accidently in the process. But all the innocent sites have to do is submit a reconsideration request, and once Google has reviewed their site, the penalty will be listed.

But in general, there has to be widespread abuse at an IP for them to throw down an IP level penalty.

Canonical, Sep 17, 2009 IP
  10. bunbunx2

bunbunx2 Peon

Best Answers:
    I think should be fine if you don't do black hat seo

bunbunx2, Sep 17, 2009 IP
  11. raiderremo

raiderremo Member

Best Answers:
    No blackhat actually. But boosted with 1500 blog posts in short time

12. atniz

atniz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    No, it won't effect your other sites on the same shared hosting. Don't worry about it.

As for the domain, even though you change the hosting, the penalty still won't be removed.

You need to find out what is the cause of this penalty and follow the Google TOS and ask for re-inclusion or reconsideration in google webmaster tools.

atniz, Sep 17, 2009 IP
  13. raiderremo

raiderremo Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks , as of now i cant clean my site since I need the content to reuse latter on. All of my other sites are very young, so it may be affected by regular Google dance.

14. rogerrnicholas

rogerrnicholas Peon

Best Answers:
    There is no reason for Google to penalize your site for using Translator when they are providing the same service using widgets. The difference is that with Translator Plugin Pro or Gold, the translated pages belong to your own site and are not that of Google. Even then if you are in doubt then ensure that you are using a different IP set to translate your pages than the IP your site is hosted on. You can also change the priority of the engines so Google is not the first engine.

rogerrnicholas, Sep 17, 2009 IP
  15. raiderremo

raiderremo Member

Best Answers:
    Google don't have Pro version of Translator, everything is open source including their AJAX API

16. johnsmith14

johnsmith14 Peon

Best Answers:
    no, it won't effect ur ip. it only penalise ur domain...

johnsmith14, Oct 6, 2009 IP
  17. internetmarketingiq

internetmarketingiq Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There is a mis conception that Google has Office Buildings full of people just sitting there waiting to ban you.

Google uses SOFTWARE and FILTERING to impose any kind of bans. Yes there are people... and yes those people can ban you.

But think for a minute. There are Billions of Pages indexed. No way humans could take on that task. They simply do not have the resources to keep track of sites with people.

But if Google wanted to ban an IP they easily could, but it wouldn't make sense to do it with people...

I get my IP banned all the time when doing keyword research but it only lasts a couple of hours.

Your one little site is not of much concern to Google.

internetmarketingiq, Oct 6, 2009 IP
  18. Canonical

Canonical Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I agree for the most part with what you've said. But Google's programs and Google's people don't have to be the ones to detect things you might be doing wrong and trigger a penalty...

It only takes one person logged in with a Google WMT account to fill out a spam report on you to have your site manually reviewed. All Spam Reports completed inside Google's WMT get reviewed by a Googler. Spam Reports completed without logging into WMT may or may not result in the site being manually reviewed. Your competitors or random surfers can trigger a manual review by reporting what they perceive as a violation of Google's Webmaster Guidelines.

This is neither a IP penalty nor a ban... This is simply Google blocking your IP address for some period of time, likely because they think you're using an automated tool to access data from Google. They used to do it for 24 hrs and actually frequently blocked the ENTIRE class C block associated with the offending IP. So if you did it from a company computer they would block not only your machine, but sometimes also everyone in your company.

An IP penalty would mean it would be impossible for any site at that IP address to rank well in the SERPs regardless of how many links they have, how well optimized their site is, etc. The pages are still in their index and if you can scroll far enough back in the SERPs they can still appear in the SERPs. But no matter what you do, you will not be able to make those pages rank well even if they ranked #1 prior to the penalty being imposed. This does sometimes happen, but it's usually to combat huge link farms that live at that IP.

I really doubt there is even such a thing as an IP ban since Google "banning" you means they remove ALL of your site's URLs from their index. They basically put your domain on a blacklist of sites not to be indexed. I doubt they would do that for what could be hundreds or thousands of domains at a particular IP. They would likely simply impose one of their most severe penalties which would bury all URLs at that IP (regardless of domain) deep in the SERPs like the infamouse -950 penalty that you hear about where people can't seem to get their page to rank any better than 950th.

Canonical, Oct 6, 2009 IP