1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

<strong> or <span style bold>

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by patataur, Aug 11, 2006.

hi guys and girls

i'm using NVU to build my webpages

my problem is that when i wanna put a text in bold, and do it via the wysiwyg of nvu, it puts in the code
    <span style="bold">text</span>
    HTML:
    instead of putting
    <b>text</b> or <strong>text</strong>
    HTML:
    so, as i have now realised this, and have a bunch of pages with span style bold, i'd like to know your opinion : do you think i should change in my code those span styles by <b> or <strong> or does google and other engines see the span style bold as bold text?

patataur, Aug 11, 2006 IP
  2. tflight

tflight Peon

Best Answers:
    In my version of NVU (version 1 for OS X) I can change this preference. Open the Preferences, go to the 'General' tab, and uncheck the box that says 'Use CSS styles instead of HTML elements and attributes'.

tflight, Aug 11, 2006 IP
  3. patataur

patataur Peon

Best Answers:
    thanks tflight, i just changed that :)

however, i still would like to know, do you think i should go back on my existing pages and replace the span style bold by b or strong in order to improve seo, or does google and else recognize the span style bold as bold text?

patataur, Aug 11, 2006 IP
  4. ChildeRoland

ChildeRoland Peon

Best Answers:
    I know for a fact that google treats <strong>, <bold> and <em> the same way. However I don't know how it would treat the <span="bold> type tag. So to be safe, I would use one of the first 3 I mentioned above and there has to be a way to change the preferences in your editor as someone above mentioned. If there isn't your editor sucks and you need to use something else.

ChildeRoland, Aug 11, 2006 IP
  5. KC TAN

KC TAN Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    My suggestion is to use <b> or <strong> tags instead of method 2. These are the bold tags that gives the keywords a little boost :)

KC TAN, Aug 11, 2006 IP