1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why Does The Politics & Religion Forum Exist?

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by oneawesomeguy, Sep 13, 2009.

Every time I have the courage to venture over to the Politics & Religion Forum, I wonder why it was created in the first place.

People who post here tend to just bicker about issues and defend whatever values they obtained from their family or liberal education without using logic at all.

Isn't DP for web-based topics and not for flame wars?

Signed,
    Curious DP User Afraid of Religious People

oneawesomeguy, Sep 13, 2009 IP
  2. amanamission

amanamission Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Oneawesomeguy,

Obviously, it is for posting while remaining logged in to await business messages. When I was getting a lot of work here, I had to kill time while keeping my PM on notice.

Now I just visit when I am bored. It is like any other forum. This is one of the few I have stuck with, because there is so much diversity and internationalism here. I love that I can debate politics with people in other countries, including the one involved in that issue. There are many perspectives, sites, and information that I can only get here.

Also, people drop in to make pointless threads. You really should get an infraction for this...creating a thread for no reason except to complain. The thread is also misplaced, for that matter, it should be in duh-gestions and feedstock, where it can be quickly locked.

amanamission, Sep 13, 2009 IP
  3. ChaosTrivia

ChaosTrivia Active Member

Best Answers:
    If you would have access to my rep, you would see that my negative reps are things like this:
    "fuck israel you are killer of childrens ~ "
    And that was the post the earned this rep: http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?p=9976403#post9976403
    This is the latest. I also had: "Death to the jews", "Hitler was right", etc'.
    All of my neg reps are similar, most of which are not even for posts in this forum.

But I keep the "Israel" in my location. Nothing to be ashamed of. Life is all about politics, no? :)

ChaosTrivia, Sep 13, 2009 IP
  4. LogicFlux

LogicFlux Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't think P&R really has any place on a webmaster forum. But as long as it's here I'll continue to fight with the irrational and hate on the haters.

LogicFlux, Sep 13, 2009 IP
  5. Rebecca

Rebecca Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    The Digital Point P & R section, makes politics more fun. It's sort of like a news site where you could:

1. Read about one news topic and get a wide variety of political stances and viewpoints simultaneously.

2. Read debates by those from different cultures, and beliefs - and ask questions.

3. Post news that you're interested in, but would like to learn more about.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2009
    Rebecca, Sep 13, 2009 IP
  6. oneawesomeguy

oneawesomeguy Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm just trying to open up some discussion. The reason I never visit this forum is exemplified by your post. I was just trying to be light-hearted and friendly, but you attack me... I guess people are always more aggressive here?

Just so everybody knows: I was not requesting the forum be taken down. I was trying to be satirical by using a title so similar to the many religion threads started on here. I guess that wasn't obvious enough. :)

I do however honestly think this forum has no place on DP for the reasons ChaosTrivia and LogicFlux pointed out above.

oneawesomeguy, Sep 13, 2009 IP
  7. imad

imad Peon

Best Answers:

Did your fear of religious people came after reading P&R forums here, or it existed before?

imad, Sep 14, 2009 IP
  8. mdvasanth86

mdvasanth86 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Religion is affiliate marketing.
    Evangelism is making someone sign up under your affiliate url to get commissions from God who is the CPA company.

The only difference is you don't get paid net 30. You will have to wait till you die.

mdvasanth86, Sep 14, 2009 IP
    Traditione likes this.
  9. oneawesomeguy

oneawesomeguy Peon

Best Answers:
    I meant specifically religious people on the P&R forums here. Most religious people are okay as long as they don't come trying to convert me :)

That is perhaps the funnies analogy I have ever heard.

oneawesomeguy, Sep 14, 2009 IP
  10. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Was spun off as a sub-section of General Chat for the sole purpose of making those threads "optional viewing" for General Chat users since they were in General Chat before they had a place to go.

digitalpoint, Sep 14, 2009 IP
  11. imad

imad Peon

Best Answers:
    they can't come to you here, you go to them by reading what they post, you can make P&R non-existing for yourself, but instead you want it non-existing for all, why? I do not visit sell/buy forum anymore, does that mean I post there and ask, why does this forum exist on DP?

your fear is baseless,

- you won't be personally attacked here, and if it happened it will be deleted mostly before you read it, and the one who made it will be banned,

- they won't bite you for obvious reasons.

- if they do not use logic, will be easy for somebody who uses logic to beat them, unless if you fear success.

imad, Sep 14, 2009 IP
  12. oneawesomeguy

oneawesomeguy Peon

Best Answers:
    That actually does makes sense.

Huh? Minus the bit about making it non-existent for myself which I thought was pretty cool, I did not really understand that.

Anyway, if a mod wants, feel free to close this thread.

oneawesomeguy, Sep 14, 2009 IP
  13. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:

It was created to keep these types of discussions out of areas where it does not need to be. It's here to cut down the clutter. In the end, no matter what is said here, its of little consequence. After all, its just an internet forum.

Mia, Sep 14, 2009 IP
  14. GeorgeB.

GeorgeB. Notable Member

Best Answers:
    .....It's just an internet forum hidden away somewhere deep within a webmaster forum. No one is going to read these topics but us :D

GeorgeB., Sep 14, 2009 IP
  15. ChaosTrivia

ChaosTrivia Active Member

Best Answers:
    LOL! Thanks to all positive reps I got after my previous post in this thread :) !

ChaosTrivia, Sep 14, 2009 IP
    Mia likes this.
  16. Traditione

Traditione Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think religious and political talk is a perfect way of seeing how someone will handle themselves when their very fibers of reality and faith are tested.

To avoid this trial by fire is to avoid self realization, affirmation, and actualization; become more than just a passageway for food you probably didn't even need to eat and would have done better being the energy provided for a starving child than your complacent, docile, emasculated cowardly self.

Cheers.

Traditione, Sep 14, 2009 IP
  17. JamesColin

JamesColin Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I think it has been created to ban people. I had several infractions while discussing religious issues. I'm an attheist and saying honestly what I think of religion and related stupid beliefs has been a reason to give me infractions in the past.
    I've learn to stay away from this forum but I don't know why, I come back sometimes, but as the original poster, I know it's a dangerous place to be :)

I've always heard that politics and religion were the two topics that shouldn't be discussed (even if they are) in family reunions, because the discussion always end up badly, and they are not "happy" topics, except if you get together to talk about it like in a political meeting or a church.

JamesColin, Sep 20, 2009 IP
  18. new

new Peon

Best Answers:
    the forum exists to confirm that
    every society has its share of bigots, racists and haters

new, Sep 20, 2009 IP