1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

So what about direct marketing?

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by pronet1, Sep 12, 2009.

OK, long time reader, 1st time poster. I always check this forum when looking for ideas to generate or boost business or generally when I'm just plain lost on a subject and need help. One thing I noticed is I rarely, actually never see much discussion on direct marketing. Getting on the phone or getting out in person and talking to potential clients. I think we are all guilty of getting so caught up in the internet marketing that we forget about all other levels, many of which are required to be succesful. I would say now, almost 90% of my business comes from direct lead generation. So my question to all Internet, lead generating, SEO, SEM, IBL, analysis guru's out there. How many are getting away from the computer and going out and getting business on foot? I just posted a blog on the door to door aspect of marketing with 'whats working for me' info, and am actively fishing for new ideas and strategies. What, if anything are you doing away from your computer?

http://pronet1.wordpress.com/2009/09/12/the-door-to-door-salesman/

pronet1, Sep 12, 2009 IP
  2. PhilipR

PhilipR Peon

Best Answers:
    You say that 90% of your business comes from direct lead generation? yeah, but how big is your business???

I advertise both off and online, and the only reason I don't go to person to person is because it just takes waaaaaaaay too long. I would have to approach over 100 people, just to get one sale. MAYBE one sale. And one sale is only $27.

I do hand out business cards on those occassions that it warrents, but other than that....

PhilipR, Sep 12, 2009 IP
  3. pronet1

pronet1 Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, I can definitely see where a door to door approach might not be effective for 27 bucks a pop. My product is a service and typically includes a year or more of continued service. And remember I said 90% is directly generated, not door to door. A lot of those bring me referals who I often approach unsolicited. Direct marketing is networking, door to door, email or telemarketing. So really what I'm looking for is any other apporaches to marketing in this area. And no, I don't do full-blown telemarketing. Only the occasional cold-call on a good lead. :)

pronet1, Sep 12, 2009 IP
  4. Romanorc

Romanorc Active Member

Best Answers:
    I can't imagine that there are enough prospects in Indian Harbour Beach to market using canvassing but of course I have no idea what you are marketing.

I do absolutely nothing to market my web presence off line. When I am away from my computer, I am away from my job and consider it personal time.

I make my living 100% from my efforts on the internet and it's a six figure income and I am surely no guru by any means so the guys that are sharper that I must be raking in some serious money.

I have done plenty of door knocking back in the day when I had brick and mortar businesses but part of the reason I like internet marketing is that it eliminates that type of marketing.

Your thread does go to show that there are options other than SEO to make a living using the internet.

Romanorc, Sep 12, 2009 IP
  5. jjpmarketing

jjpmarketing Peon

Best Answers:
    Who says that you have to do the door to door part. That is what college kids are for. Send a kid out to a bar or mall or whatever venue you feel you will get the best response from and have them decked out in gear promoting your site or service. Ever heard of girlinyourshirt.com?

jjpmarketing, Sep 12, 2009 IP
  6. pronet1

pronet1 Peon

Best Answers:
    Exactly! Actually I mention that in my blog that I can't link to because I'm just a peon :(
    Plenty of available resources out there to do the work for ya, and actually, that's a great promo idea that is used regularly for local lead generation and there is no reason it couldnt be used to promote any business whether local or global.

Blog: http://pronet1.wordpress.com/2009/09/12/the-door-to-door-salesman/

pronet1, Sep 12, 2009 IP