1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Suggestion update BST rules

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by abboodeh, Sep 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Hello

i want to suggest BST rules (regarding sites) to make the seller include in his post the script details (not much details) at lease if the script running on the site is FREE or paid, and if paid to show license appove (or at least link to original site).

i was almost scammed by a member trying to sell me a free script (that was in PM not in public) i contacted him asking about a script running in one site he sold, so he offered that script for me for $10, but in the last min. i did some search and found it's a free script.

So, why don't we make all sellers clear this point for each sale?

i beleive this should lead to less scamming AND knowing true value of the site for buyers.

what do you think?

abboodeh, Sep 8, 2009 IP
  2. Brian1970

Brian1970 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Just because it was a free script doesn’t mean he was a scammer, he might have paid for it or modified it. Changing the BST rules won’t help with PM deals.

Thanks Brian

Brian1970, Sep 8, 2009 IP
    abboodeh likes this.
  3. abboodeh

abboodeh Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    no Brian, the PM story is not the problem, i gave it as an example only...

if he have mentioned in that thread that the script is free, i wouldn't contact him asking about it....

that was my point of mentioning the PM story.

EDIT:
    that guy was trying to sell me tha plain script nothing less nothing more, he was even telling me that i can resell it, so obviously he was trying to scam me, i can provide screen shoots if admin wants :)

Last edited: Sep 8, 2009
    abboodeh, Sep 8, 2009 IP
    Brian1970 likes this.
  4. theapparatus

theapparatus Peon

Best Answers:
    Actually free and/or Open Source scripts can be sold. Payment for delivery is allowed under most Open Source licensing.

Have to admit though that I laugh every time I see a YouTube downloader script being sold. A quick google should pull up a couple of them that are available free although keeping them up to date is the concern.

theapparatus, Sep 8, 2009 IP
  5. abboodeh

Best Answers:
    lol that was the script i was almost scammed for!
    actually even google can't help in these cases, some results might lead to warez site, even it's a free script but searcher (like me) would think it's nulled.

i'm not suggesting not to allow sales of sites including free scripts, i'm just saying it'd be MUCH way better if seller at least mentioned that the script being used in the site is free, or paid (with a link to the developer site to make sure of the license) - if possible of course.

well, mentioning it's a free or not should be enough i guess....

abboodeh, Sep 8, 2009 IP
  6. vinayendra

vinayendra Active Member

Best Answers:
    i strongly disagree with what abv says

how do u exactly know if a script is a free script or not. Maybe i`m a programmer, and i made a script

how will i know if that script is already made and its a free script

if u have to add such a rule to BST then please list out all free scripts and let everyone which is not and which is

vinayendra, Sep 14, 2009 IP
  7. harrisunderwork

harrisunderwork Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You are missing a basic point, a scammer wouldn't mention that the script is free if he has to scam you. Ex, someone is selling vbulletin license, he/she mentions it clearly. A scammer would simply get a nulled copy and try to sell, so basically he would never tell that its warez copy. So its better for you to research since rules can't make any difference.

Got my point. ;)

harrisunderwork, Sep 14, 2009 IP
  8. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Or buyers could just be smart enough about their own business to think to ask about things like that before buying or making offers. Due diligence folks.

jhmattern, Sep 14, 2009 IP
    abboodeh likes this.
  9. theapparatus

theapparatus Peon

Best Answers:
    Which is why I keep asking about the "Are you going to keep up to date on the youtube scripts?" when I see them. Have to admit YouTube has been very quiet lately on it's updates. Had like 14 one month last year. Lots of fun.

theapparatus, Sep 14, 2009 IP
  10. abboodeh

Best Answers:
    yeah you're right on this one.....

this has no ending indeed...

but i still beleive that owner of original stuff should prove his ownership (that's the least thing i beleive)...

ohh well, it was just a suggestion...:)

abboodeh, Sep 17, 2009 IP
  11. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    It's your responsibility to protect yourself when you do business. If you just rely on what the seller tells you, then you're not doing that. If you want to feel more secure before doing business check up on them. View their company website if they have one. View iTrader (but take it with a grain of salt -- it's far from conclusive). Look up past sales threads from that seller to see if there are negative reviews or if things have gone smoothly. Search is your friend (as you found out for yourself anyway).

On top of that, staff has no reason to care how much (or how little) you can get something for somewhere else. There are a lot of legitimate cases where one person might be giving something away for free and another person might be selling it (based on the usage and distribution rights they each own). The fact that it might be free somewhere else doesn't make it a scam in any way. So, yet again, do your research. It's not up to us to request or verify that kind of information. It's up to you.

jhmattern, Sep 17, 2009 IP
  12. abboodeh

Best Answers:
    this grabed my attention....

if someone is selling you air you don't consider it scam?
    air is free, you get it everywhere but this dude is trying to sell it to you!

i'm not saying staff should work for me and check every site i am thinking about buying, i'm asking to make up a rule for buyers to provide script type (free, paid, leased...etc) just like when mentioning VB license.

anyway, it was just a suggestion, since no one agrees no hard feelings close this thread :)

abboodeh, Sep 18, 2009 IP
  13. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    Really bad analogy. There are lots of products that come with distribution / resale rights that allow people to choose to either sell it or give it away. If someone purchased those resale rights, the fact that someone else opts to give it away for free in no way means they cannot sell it (they paid for the right to do so). I don't know if that was the case here -- just pointing out that it's not a scam just because you can get something for free somewhere else. It's no different than if two companies are selling the same thing and one charges full price while another offers a great sale on it. The one charging more isn't scamming anyone. It's just up to the consumer to research and decide where to buy / download / get something from before paying.

I'll close the thread as requested.

jhmattern, Sep 18, 2009 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.