1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

31 Lessons I Learned Earning $119,725.45 from Amazon Associates Program

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by dfweyer, Aug 20, 2009.

1. markowe

markowe Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, Darren is the man. But he has put a LOT of work into his sites, they are REAL, authoritative sites, he is honest, hardworking, respected, shares his knowledge very freely...

Hmm, all those things that a lot of would-be affiliates can't be bothered with..! We just want to make a quick buck, mostly, ha!

markowe, Aug 31, 2009 IP
  2. PuReWebDev

PuReWebDev Peon

Best Answers:
    In my own opinion, and this is just an opinion so don't beat me up. I think Darren did put in a lot of hard work, but at the same time, I don't believe that it is skill alone that got him to where he is.

I think he essentially had a combination of hard work which everyone does, good timing, and then lots of luck. I don't think that he could start a totally from scratch website or blog, and yield the same results, that would be considered skill, and put him out of the lucky range.

Some people have luck, and some people have skill, I really don't know which one he truly falls under. I know for myself, that I've been able to reproduce my results over and over again for myself and for other people, so I don't consider myself lucky.

Anyone have some words about if Darren has luck or skill?

thnx,
    PuReWebDev

PuReWebDev, Aug 31, 2009 IP
  3. markowe

markowe Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think it's fair to say "luck" in the sense of "the right guy at the right time". He is a practicing, serious Christian - maybe he got some help from "on high" :)

markowe, Aug 31, 2009 IP
  4. awesometbn

awesometbn Peon

Best Answers:
    Great collection of tips. I especially liked the comments about cross-promotions, and the importance of reader reviews to captivate and involve your audience. It's kind of amazing to hear how Darren Rowse has earned so much money at Amazon since 2003.

I think a lot of this has been said before, but has anyone tried to figure out if Amazon Associates is really the best affiliate program to join and promote? The percentage for commissions is pretty low at 4% according to their compensation overview.

hxxps://affiliate-program.amazon.com/gp/associates/join/compensation.html

True you could focus on Kindle, VoD, MP3, and game download for 10%, or refer visitors to endless.com for 15% at the lowest level, but the highest earnings on general product sales you can ever achieve is 8.5% once you exceed 3,131 items. Does anyone else think that is too low? Especially when you compare to other affiliate programs that give you a signup bonus of $10 or $25.

Another point is that you only earn money when the visitor makes a purchase. What I mean is, they have to spend money instead of getting something for free. The example I read about was for a credit card signup offer that is free to the visitor but it earns you $200 as an affiliate. Take a look at this blog post for a more detailed discussion.

hxxp://www.johnchow.com/why-i-am-not-an-amazoncom-affiliate/

With Amazon is there a possibility of ongoing residual earnings? I don't think so. It looks like the visitor will have to make a new purchase if you want to earn additional commissions. Compare that to other affiliate programs that pay you on the first sale, and an ongoing percentage of all future sales. So you work hard just once to make the sale and the affiliate checks keep coming in each month.

There are other concerns but I think the main idea, just like with Google Adsense, is to not put all of your effort into a single vendor. Diversification is the key. And get a residual check whenever possible!

awesometbn, Aug 31, 2009 IP
  5. vomers

vomers Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks For sharing these great tips Darren.

In reply to whether Darren is lucky or has skill I would definitely say he has skill. If you follow his tips they are exactly what you must do to make money online in any niche. He tries new ways and then test which produce better results for his readers. He checks out what his customers are buying and gives them more of what they want. He asks them to purchase not once but multiple times. He provides quality content with useful related products that his customers actually thank him for providing.

As far as if Amazon is a good affiliate program to promote I think it is a great program. Sure it does not provide the highest level of commissions and requires customers to continue purchasing, but it offers one of the best product selections that compliment just about every niche you can think of. Amazon makes it extremely easy to use and promote and there are many ways to automate the process as well. They provide excellent products, branding, name recognition, easy trusted purchasing process, reliable in their payments to their affiliates, lower returns than other programs, and I could go on...

Once again thanks for the great information Darren!!

vomers, Aug 31, 2009 IP
  6. hamada_masrawy

hamada_masrawy Peon

Best Answers:
    This is best thread about amazon here on DP, thanks for taking the time to share this with us

hamada_masrawy, Aug 31, 2009 IP
  7. bloggerdollar

bloggerdollar Peon

Best Answers:
    Woww he really has good figures and I like the fact that he shares this.

bloggerdollar, Sep 1, 2009 IP
  8. RookieTee

RookieTee Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for sharing

RookieTee, Sep 3, 2009 IP
  9. Pal

Pal Active Member

Best Answers:
    I've some questions about amazon associate program

1. I've an account right now with them which I use to buy things. Shall I use this account for AAP or I should open a new account? is it against their rules to open an account for this purpose?

2.Can I use my earnings to shop from amazon without having them to be sent to my bank account first?

3. Is there any script out there to make a professional looking website? (I know about aStore).

Thanks

Pal, Sep 5, 2009 IP
  10. pixads

pixads Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    pixads, Sep 5, 2009 IP
    Pal likes this.
  11. Pal

Pal Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks,+ repped you. So I can register another account only for affiliate purposes, right? It's not against their rule? I want just to make sure.
    Thanks

Pal, Sep 5, 2009 IP
  12. masud7827

masud7827 Active Member

Best Answers:
    thanks for sharing :D

masud7827, Sep 7, 2009 IP
  13. maolana

maolana Peon

Best Answers:
    Great and thanks. I never make it with Amazon. I will try those tips.... go to "crime scene" right now :)

maolana, Sep 7, 2009 IP
  14. masud7827

masud7827 Active Member

Best Answers:
    me too i will also try to get $$ :D thanks

masud7827, Sep 7, 2009 IP
  15. lowellpendon

lowellpendon Peon

Best Answers:
    All I say is that, thank you so much for these tips you posted and share with us. More power!

lowellpendon, Sep 7, 2009 IP
  16. TopViet

TopViet Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Thanks for sharing these articles. I will read them to see they can help me to make money from Amazon Associates program. Right now, I thought it's difficult. Everybody know Amazon. Each time, they need something, they just go directly to Amazon.

TopViet, Sep 11, 2009 IP
  17. Cashprofit

Cashprofit Member

Best Answers:
    You know what they say - the harder you work, the luckier you get.

Cashprofit, Sep 12, 2009 IP
  18. surfpimp

surfpimp Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the tips, very interesting stuff. I just opened my first aStore on a paid domain with iframe. Will post later my results.

surfpimp, Sep 18, 2009 IP
  19. vikasshukla72

vikasshukla72 Peon

Best Answers:
    I did create some book related links from amazon. So far the return has been poor. The prices of the books are very low and the 4% means peanut. I stopped amazon affiliation.

vikasshukla72, Sep 20, 2009 IP
  20. vikasshukla72

vikasshukla72 Peon

Best Answers:
    I just went through all three blogs. It has been written in a great style. It is something to learn about from. he has great patience.

vikasshukla72, Sep 20, 2009 IP