1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How To LinkBait?

Discussion in 'Link Development' started by spycraft, Sep 4, 2009.

Hello all,

Here is my question. I recently posted an article on one of my blogs (diet niche) and I received about 35 pingbacks the day it was posted.

I don't know if that's a lot in general but for me it was a first. The article was good and had a lot of useful info so I assumed that this was the reason.

I wrote another good article for a different, yet more successful, blog but no luck. 1 or 2 pingbacks only. That second blog was finance related.

I then wrote another good article for the first blog - again no luck.

Can someone tell me what are the characteristics of a post for linkbait? Does it require an already semi-successful site?

Thanks

spycraft, Sep 4, 2009 IP
  2. nitin22

nitin22 Active Member

Best Answers:
    35 pingbacks in a day is huge. I think it is more because of the popularity of your blog + a good percentage of these pingbacks might be from autoblogs watching technoroti etc for specific keywords and then picking content to publish on their site.

nitin22, Sep 4, 2009 IP
  3. spycraft

spycraft Member

Best Answers:
    That actually makes sense.

My blog is not that popular, however, I noticed that at least a few of those pingbacks were from autoblogs. Still, there were a few that were good sites. Even so, they were 35 links and I loved them :)

Since then, I have posted 2 more equally good articles and have only gotten like 5 pingbacks. Any ideas as to why that is?

spycraft, Sep 4, 2009 IP
  4. nitin22

nitin22 Active Member

Best Answers:
    May be the tags or the content of the first article were more in demand. e.g. if you publish an article with tags as weight loss and the article related to weight loss, it may be picked by more number of people at technorati comapred to if your tag is Natural Hoodia.

nitin22, Sep 4, 2009 IP
  5. spycraft

spycraft Member

Best Answers:
    Would you say that the tags are very important when you are aiming for a linkbait? Anything else?

The tags are the only thing that differs between the rest of the posts that didn't get picked up.

spycraft, Sep 5, 2009 IP
  6. funkymario

funkymario Notable Member

Best Answers:
    it's not about the tags or keywords mate.. link baiting means crafting an original piece of content that people will find extremely appealing and link to it, read "the ultimate link baiting guide" here:

http://tropicalseo.com/category/link-baiting/page/2/

although that articles focus on only one kind of baits, it's a good starting point.

funkymario, Sep 5, 2009 IP
    seogoat likes this.
  7. seogoat

seogoat Member

Best Answers:
    Linkbait is usually either: informative, controversial, humour and emotion. So if you can write a post and make it all of these, you could be on to a winner. But, you have to keep trying because it's a bit of a gamble to see if the linkbait will work. Some works and some doesn't. Cumilative advantage plays a role.

seogoat, Sep 5, 2009 IP
  8. Wednesday

Wednesday Peon

Best Answers:
    Can anyone answer something that has been puzzling me? If I came up with the best bit of linkbait 9just assume it's the best ever for argument's sake). I then put this on my website, but it's a new site and no one knows about the site. How would I let people know about this fantastic article/game/story/picture etc that was on my site?

Wednesday, Sep 5, 2009 IP
  9. Candise

Candise Peon

Best Answers:
    Link baiting (or linkbaiting) is the latest buzz word in the SEO world and has come to be the preferred way to natural link building.

It means to create something that naturally attract backlinks for your web page by getting people to talk about it, discussing it on forums, blogging about i, posting it on del.icio.us/Furl/Digg/Shoutwire and linking to it from their sites. It also attracts a lot of visitors.

Here is a list of ideas:

* Make a valuable resource (lists, special reports, history of, how to, etc.)
    * Interview (e-mail/phone) prominent people and publish it.
    * Build a useful tool
    * Write an interesting article
    * Run a newsworthy ‘event’ such as a contest
    * Test something new that has not been done before
    * Be the first in doing something on the internet
    * Write something controversial
    * Be the first to write the latest news in your niche
    * Be the first to expose a scammer
    * Disagree with an authority
    * Write some funny humor
    * Make an interesting picture
    * Be the first to research and document something
    * Make a theme, plugin or piece of software
    * Make a tool that others can put on their sites but that links to you
    * Make a joke about a known person
    * Make a resource that is just in time for a major event
    * Write an outrageous theory and back it up with logics
    * Write useful comments on something that is happening
    * Give something valuable for free
    * Coin a new acronym in your niche and get people to talk about it
    * Become an expert in your niche and write valuable information

Candise, Sep 5, 2009 IP
  10. 415

415 Peon

Best Answers:
    I second what candise said, it takes a number of things to create a good link bait piece. Luck is a big part of it too. Think about the posts you have followed that were link bait and why you followed then, then try to build off that.

415, Sep 6, 2009 IP