1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Upgrade Your WordPress Installation to 2.8.4 Now

Discussion in 'WordPress' started by fish, Sep 4, 2009.

There is a security exploit going around that affects installations below the current latest version of WordPress 2.8.4.

If you notice any weird code in your permalinks, and haven't updated to the latest WordPress version, then you've probably already been hit. Upgrading to the latest version of WordPress (2.8.4) should protect you from this latest exploit.

More info here: http://wordpress.org/support/topic/307660

fish, Sep 4, 2009 IP
    Anterpreet likes this.
  2. ads2help

ads2help Peon

Best Answers:
    ads2help, Sep 4, 2009 IP
  3. fish

fish Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, I forgot to mention the extra admin account which is very scary. If you notice your user count doesn't add up, and you have 1 less user showing up in your user list than the count, then you probably have a hidden admin account which needs to be deleted from the database manually ASAP.

I also probably should have said something like "Security Exploit" in the title.

If you've been lazy about your upgrades, now is a good time to stay up to date.

fish, Sep 5, 2009 IP
  4. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I already upgraded the same day it became available, ive got into a habit now of upgrading quickly. :)

pipes, Sep 5, 2009 IP
  5. fish

fish Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Smart move. I know there are a lot people who have numerous WP blogs and can't manage to update them all with every new release (sometimes even me) so hopefully this will serve as a wakeup call to anyone not up-to-date.

fish, Sep 5, 2009 IP
  6. ScottVoss

ScottVoss Peon

Best Answers:
    It is a real pain to keep up with, but at this point it should be manadotory for all of us to do almost immediately.

If you are not already signed up, go to wordpress.org/download/ and enter your email address into the Release Notification mailing list (right side of page).

This way you will get email reminders about the updates.

Good luck

ScottVoss, Sep 6, 2009 IP
  7. ads2help

ads2help Peon

Best Answers:
    I visit admin panel everyday to moderate comments so I got reminder from there :D

ads2help, Sep 6, 2009 IP
  8. fish

fish Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I don't think they use that newsletter very often. I remember getting one email about a new release a long time ago, but that's it.

You could try subscribing to the WordPress.org development blog or follow @wordpress on Twitter for the latest info on new releases.

Like ads2help said, there is usually a notice displayed in your admin panel soon after a new version is released (and yours is outdated).

fish, Sep 6, 2009 IP