1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

H2 tag or h1 tag?

Discussion in 'Keywords' started by zeefu21, Aug 21, 2009.

Some experts say, it might be better to use more h2 headings instead of h1. Because so many people are abusing h1 tags, Google would now pay more attention to h2

zeefu21, Aug 21, 2009 IP
  2. Website_Development_NJ

Website_Development_NJ Guest

Best Answers:
    There is no thumbnail rule in search engine optimization that H2 is better then H1, because it's just small update that users are trying to use H2 Tags now days in search engine optimization.

It's matter of user mentality.

Website_Development_NJ, Aug 21, 2009 IP
  3. zeefu21

zeefu21 Peon

Best Answers:
    Well i got penalized using h1 tags in the coupons section of my site : http://excellsior.com.au
    i removed them and replace them with <strong> tag and there u go it started climbing.....

zeefu21, Aug 21, 2009 IP
  4. Dan Schulz

Dan Schulz Peon

Best Answers:
    Who are these alleged "experts"?

Now, that being said, you should be using more H2s than H1s. Semantically and structurally speaking, the H1 element is "the top-most heading on a page, and all other headings are descended from it". And since headings tend to work like an outline tree, you'll be using at least two H2 through H6 elements in your pages anyway (with the higher number denoting a lesser, chronological, importance).

Of course, things like "semantics" and "structural markup" have little bearing on SEO since not even the search engines seem to give a damn about them (even though they should; I'm surprised Google hasn't been sued for violating more than a few countries' accessibility laws yet). However, the elements that make up the tags which comprise the structural HyperText Markup Language (HTML) do have importance and do carry weight. Just how much weight depends on their importance in the HTML specification.

While that document is rather dense (even for SEOs, who tend to be critcal thinkers by ther very nature), my post on the matter isn't.

http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?p=8141503

Dan Schulz, Aug 21, 2009 IP
  5. salwek

salwek Member

Best Answers:
    H1 has power and holding it on ur site has sense.

<strong> never gona be as much important for spider as H1 or H2. Good luck :D

salwek, Aug 24, 2009 IP
  6. dhirajch

dhirajch Guest

Best Answers:
    I am also confused i have implemented H1 tag on my website page three times, just got scared... is this comes under google metatag spam?

dhirajch, Sep 1, 2009 IP
  7. Dan Schulz

Dan Schulz Peon

Best Answers:
    No, because a heading is not a META tag. Read the link I posted above. It'll explain everything.

Dan Schulz, Sep 1, 2009 IP
  8. zeefu21

zeefu21 Peon

Best Answers:
    dhirajch i would suggest you remove those <h1> tags if you have used it more than once.........Only one <h1> tag should be used in a web page.....lemme warn you here from my experiences if the GoogleBot tracks that you have used the <h1> tag more than once,you will definitely get penalized!.

zeefu21, Sep 2, 2009 IP
  9. Dan Schulz

Dan Schulz Peon

Best Answers:
    You won't be penalized for using more than one H1. You'll be laughed at by some of the more "devout" Web standardistas, but you won't be penalized by Google or any other search engine.

Dan Schulz, Sep 3, 2009 IP
  10. allennbb

allennbb Peon

Best Answers:
    it has to be H1 followed by H2

allennbb, Sep 4, 2009 IP
  11. kittuk

kittuk Peon

Best Answers:
    Each heading tag carries slightly less SEO weighting than the one above.. iv never heard anyone getting penalized for using more h1 tags.. but if you want to use them, you can break up the content into more sections and categories. So that the huge heading text atleast looks easy on the eye.

kittuk, Sep 4, 2009 IP
  12. bpokosh

bpokosh Active Member

Best Answers:
    Do what comes naturally, but I tend to use only one H1 per page.

bpokosh, Sep 4, 2009 IP
  13. seoperson

seoperson Peon

Best Answers:
    Google is paying attention to everything. It will pay attention to your H1 as well as H2.

seoperson, Sep 5, 2009 IP
  14. rohit_tripathi60

rohit_tripathi60 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have used 1 H1 tag 8 H2 tags on home page, any problems with it?

rohit_tripathi60, Sep 6, 2009 IP
  15. zeefu21

zeefu21 Peon

Best Answers:
    I am not sure abt that but from my experiences ....... When i used more than 1 <h1> tag it deeply affected my site rankings.....And when i removed it.....It climbed up again...i think the best practice is offcourse the Natural way to go about it....

zeefu21, Sep 7, 2009 IP
  16. monishka

monishka Peon

Best Answers:
    Hello Friend,

H1 and H2 both are good for search engine. I am also using H1 tag so i want to suggest you that if you will follow you will also get the benefit .

monishka, Sep 14, 2009 IP
  17. Canonical

Canonical Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Every page on my sites have a single <h1> and multiple <h2>s. Both the <h1> and <h2> generally reinforce the targeted keyword phrase(s) from my <title>. I have never been penalized for using either. It's the way header elements in HTML documents are MEANT to be structured. Why would they penalize for it?

What generally gets webmasters in trouble with regard to the <h1> element is when they throw up a page that spams many <h1>s. It looks to Google as if you're trying to work the system since any given page should generally have only one <h1> element. Matt Cutts has said that Google can handle multiple, but generally speaking there should only be one, possibly two, per page.

So if you have a page with 20 or 30 <h1> elements on it, I would reevaluate. It's bad form at best. It could be considered spam at worst and result in a penalty.

Canonical, Sep 14, 2009 IP
  18. XpirtDesignSEO

XpirtDesignSEO Peon

Best Answers:
    exactly first comes h1 then comes h2

XpirtDesignSEO, Sep 14, 2009 IP
  19. christianronaldo

christianronaldo Peon

Best Answers:
    i think H1 is better
    correct if i'm wrong

christianronaldo, Sep 18, 2009 IP
  20. dburdon

dburdon Peon

Best Answers:
    H tags are primarily for styling purposes. H1 being a main header, H2 a sub header and H3 being a minor header etc, etc.
    Just like a newspaper or a paper document you would normally expect just 1 H1 tag. Don't think multiple H1 tags will any major impact.

dburdon, Sep 18, 2009 IP