1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why can't Google directory ditch DMOZ???

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by peppy, Aug 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fastreplies

fastreplies Banned

Best Answers:
    I'm sure it has DMOZ logo but croc replaced with Jim's face

:D

fastreplies

fastreplies, Sep 1, 2009 IP
  2. peppy

peppy Active Member

Best Answers:
    Whats the deal with the DMOZ blackjack category: http://www.dmoz.org/Games/Gambling/Blackjack/

Someone adds a new site on there August 26, 2009 yet the site looks like it was built in the 90s and very little content is Blackjack related: http://www.jme.com/

This is a NEWLY added site only from last week, it looks terrible and that is supposed to beat my site in terms of information, design and credibility?: http://www.lolblackjack.com/

Anyone can see how screwed up DMOZ is, what a JOKE! :cool:

Also, if anyone is sick of DMOZ, I recommend them reading and following the actions I described in this article I wrote at EzineArticles.com. If you have an SEO blog or something, I invite you to use this content, and tell others in order to try and screw up DMOZ so Google can drop them: http://ezinearticles.com/?How-to-Ge...-Why-Google-Should-Stop-Using-DMOZ&id=2807313

Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
    peppy, Sep 2, 2009 IP
  3. caprichoso

caprichoso Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well. Don't be surprised if jme.com looks like built in the 90s. It's been created using Microsoft FrontPage 5.0!

Let's focus on site's content:
    The BJ tips page has ONE (yes... one) tip for playing Black Jack.
    The Gaming tips page has ONE tip for betting.
    There is a BJ quiz. Well, there are millions of BJ quiz out there.
    There is a page offering services from the author.
    Then you have five links to services in the right-menu at home page.

Unique content of course, not many people dare to build such horrible site. But then, the problem is not the webmaster but the editor who added that site.

caprichoso, Sep 2, 2009 IP
  4. seo-free

seo-free Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I had given a suggestion in google's webmaster tools regarding this issue(when google asked for improvement) that Google should not depend on Dmoz and set some rules and etc.. or to launch their own directory. 80% of people disapproved my idea.
    I don't know who were those people ?lol

seo-free, Sep 2, 2009 IP
  5. peppy

peppy Active Member

Best Answers:
    probably DMOZ editors or employees benefiting from it, who else would disagree?

If DMOZ rdf dump was dropped from Google directory, DMOZ would essentially become worthless and editors wouldn't have anymore bribe money coming in, so of course they would be threatened by the idea of dropping DMOZ, especially the big guys.

peppy, Sep 2, 2009 IP
  6. seo-free

seo-free Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah So people saying Google is depending on Dmoz is actually a wrong thing. Dmoz is depending on Google:p

If Google says they are no longer will give importance to Dmoz. Dmoz is gone!lol

seo-free, Sep 2, 2009 IP
  7. fastreplies

fastreplies Banned

Best Answers:
    Let me make it to you all as clear as possible I can.
    DMOZ has been dead for long time now and only because some deranged Webmasters and alike continue perpetuating it existence, we still keep talking about very decayed body.

It reminds me Michael J. ordeal.
    The man is dead for 2 month now but no one buried him yet.

:rolleyes:

fastreplies

fastreplies, Sep 2, 2009 IP
  8. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    Actually, if Google stopped using the free data that the Directory offers, it would have no effect on us at all. Why would it?

Editing is nothing more than a hobby for editors, and we would continue to engage in our hobby. You guys are really showing a lot of ignorance. :D

crowbar, Sep 3, 2009 IP
  9. peppy

peppy Active Member

Best Answers:
    I believe it would have a big effect. First, I think most of the editors would stop editing, lots of editors wouldn't be getting bribes (especially the metas and people higher up) anymore, and SEO editors wouldn't be getting such a huge unfair advantage over everyone else by placing their own sites in the Google directory.

That would be good of Google drops DMOZ, you could continue on happily with your hobby and webmasters wouldn't be getting shut out all the time from the Google directory (which I don't think should be built upon someone's hobby anyways).

Everyone wins if DMOZ is dropped from Google.

peppy, Sep 3, 2009 IP
  10. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:

Are you a DMOZ editor?
    Are you posting in a forum specifically about the ODP?
    Are you posting in threads in that forum about DMOZ, it's editors, it's policies, and the like?

Low and behold... YOU ARE A SPOKEMAN for the ODP. An official spokeman? Of course not, DMOZ has NONE of those, but you are speaking as an editor about editors and the ODP itself. If you do not want to come across as a spokeman, then head down to General chat and talk about something unrelated to the ODP or directories in general.

Qryztufre, Sep 3, 2009 IP
  11. fastreplies

fastreplies Banned

Best Answers:
    Why would it? Lets see...
    Oh, I know, I know! Because without your data in G. people will ignore DMOZ

What hobby are you talking about?
    After G. drops DMOZ and people stop submitting their sites, you won't have any

:D

fastreplies

fastreplies, Sep 3, 2009 IP
  12. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    And that would affect me how? The Directory would still exist, and it's editors would continue building categories in it. I hate like hell to bust your bubble, but we don't work for Google.

Don't be ridiculous, Google has nothing to do with the Directory, it's nothing more than a data user, as are many other SE's and directories. It wouldn't change anything at all, goofy. You really don't know what you're talking about. lol

crowbar, Sep 3, 2009 IP
  13. trustnobodynever

trustnobodynever Peon

Best Answers:
    but we don't work for Google. ofcourse no :) it's called '' volunteer '' work it's supposed to be driven '' by passion to build the directory for visitors not for webmasters , WE know that's crap's was told us by all other peoples from DMOZ hundreds of times :) ask yourself now WHY WE DON'T BELIEVE ? - I think I can tell you ;) because this directory so loved by everyone it's seems its FULL OF SPAM SITES !

Google has nothing to do with the Directory - are you sure ? are you completely and totally sure about this statement ? if the answer it's yes then my friend you are WRONG ! And maybe only peoples who are on IM since last month maybe will still believe that ... why ? ask yourself why , try to answer yourself and if it's not yet a good answer for ya I think we can hire an seo trainer for you guys . It's seems you are so well trained by the dinosaurs editors from dmoz and you guys actually don't know a damn thing about your loved directory :)

trustnobodynever, Sep 3, 2009 IP
  14. fastreplies

fastreplies Banned

Best Answers:
    All two of them... maybe you and Jim :D

Show me where I said it has?

You see my little Circus performer, the problem is, I know that, you know that and even Jim knows that but... Joe Public thinks that if they get listed in DMOZ then they will get in GOOGLE directory (as if that means something) and if G. says no more DMOZ then Joes and Janes will drop DMOZ like a hot potato because then there will be NO INSENSITIVE.

but I sure you know that already, goofy, it just you wanna continue to be slave as long as possible you can be and that is why you are denying reality.

;)

fastreplies

15. fastreplies

fastreplies Banned

Best Answers:
    All two of them... maybe you and Jim :D

Show me where I said it has?

You see my little Circus performer, the problem is, I know that, you know that and even Jim knows that but... Joe Public thinks that if they get listed in DMOZ then they will get in GOOGLE directory (as if that means something) and if G. says no more DMOZ then Joes and Janes will drop DMOZ like a hot potato because then there will be NO INSENSITIVE.

but I sure you know that already, goofy, it just you wanna continue to be slave as long as possible you can be

;)

fastreplies

16. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Now im puzzled :confused: According to you, Q and others, we dont review the suggestion pool anyway....you lot always say that, So....exactly how would this affect us? Not one little bit.

Personally, i would absolutely love to see DMOZ not accept external suggestions......simply build the directory via editors finding sites. But im sure you will find some fault with this idea :)

snooks, Sep 3, 2009 IP
  17. trustnobodynever

trustnobodynever Peon

Best Answers:
    we dont review the suggestion pool anyway I think we can grab some categories at least yeah witch are build by the mercy of the editors :).

simply build the directory via editors finding sites practically like that the directory it's made now , so far from all webmaster communities witch I saw online not only this forum , it's seems the suggestion feature even if is used by peoples chances to be '' taken into consideration '' it's just like gambling dices at las vegas :) .... and anyway with amount of spam sites witch directory have now ... hmmm don't know ...shall I continue those arguments?

trustnobodynever, Sep 4, 2009 IP
  18. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you wish to quote me, have the balls to quote the whole thing :( Dont be sneaky and do partial quotes in an attempt to change the meaning of my statement.:(

snooks, Sep 4, 2009 IP
  19. caprichoso

caprichoso Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    But that's already happening! DMOZ has a suggestion form for fooling webmasters/site owners. It's a mean for editors to get people asking for their submission. So you (editors) can repeat one of your beloved phrases:

"Some volunteer will process your listing suggestion in time but we can't predict who or when that might be. Elapsed times can range from a few days to a few years. There is no need to re-suggest your website and doing so could be counter-productive because a later suggestion overwrites any earlier one."

"You might have misunderstood our objectives and how we operate here. ODP is a volunteer organisation building a directory as a hobby. Editors edit where they wish, when they wish and as much as they wish within the constraints of their permissions."

"You can check whether or not your website is listable by checking out http://wvw.dmoz.org/guidelines/include.html"

"There is a common misconception (based on a very basic misunderstanding of the ODP) that it is possible to "get" a website listed. It is not, because DMOZ is not a listing service, and sites suggested by non-editors are nothing more than one resource editors can use if they wish."

"There is nothing more for you to do. And further listing suggestions can be counter-productive."

caprichoso, Sep 4, 2009 IP
  20. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    Actually, it's a suggestion form to allow the general public to suggest a site for consideration that they found very helpful while they were browsing the Internet. It has absolutely nothing to do with site owners or webmasters.

It is meant as a help to editors who are building categories, not as a way for site owners to get listed. We do not offer a listing service.

crowbar, Sep 4, 2009 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.