1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

back pain - sitting at computer desk all day

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by mattr2110, Aug 9, 2006.

Anyone have back pain from sitting at their computer desk all day? My lower back hurts all the time, I try to do some excercises to strengthen it but it doesn't help much. I'm pretty much chained to my chair all day it sucks.

mattr2110, Aug 9, 2006 IP
  2. dshah

dshah Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    LoL, I am experiencing same from few days, got doctor appointment today :)

dshah, Aug 9, 2006 IP
  3. Tara33

Tara33 Peon

Best Answers:
    Tara33, Aug 9, 2006 IP
  4. fordP

fordP Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm 19 and some days I have the same problem. I recently moved and haven't bought a new desk or chair yet so I have my comp sitting on a coffee table and my chair was downgraded to a wooden POS. I am freelance so I sit here about 10 hours a day hunched over and it is murdering my back. I've been doing this setup for a month. Once i get all these speakers and guitars out of here I will have room for a real desk.

Donate to fordp's get a desk foundation? :rolleyes:

Oh, and my pain is in my upper back after working, not lower :confused:

fordP, Aug 9, 2006 IP
  5. dastuff

dastuff Peon

Best Answers:
    Try also moving around a little more, it will help.

My dad's a chiropractor, I've had the luck of everytime I'm able to screw up my body (which I enjoy finding new ways of doing), I go to him and he'll fix me up :)

dastuff, Aug 9, 2006 IP
  6. Obelia

Obelia Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, I get this too. It's not just a matter of posture, but a matter of having to remain in one place for a long time. Because you aren't making demands on your back muscles, this can weaken them. Use it or lose it.

It's very important to remember to get up and move around every hour or so, but it's so easy to get absorbed in what you are doing and forget this.

Obelia, Aug 9, 2006 IP
  7. fordP

fordP Peon

Best Answers:
    I do get up and move a lot, but there are those 3 hour periods of intense non stop work. I've only been working in an uncomfortable way for a month and im 19, so I can get away with this.

I do wish I had a chiropractor in my family :(

fordP, Aug 9, 2006 IP
  8. qwestcommunications

qwestcommunications Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I would suggest getting into the habit of stretching for 10-15 minutes a day or so. Do all types of stretches, especially the ones that concentrate on the back. Also, try and take a 15 minute break after every hour on your desk.

qwestcommunications, Aug 9, 2006 IP
  9. Tara33

Tara33 Peon

Best Answers:
    Stand, stretch, rest your eyes once every hour. I know how it is getting busy on the computer, and feeling like you can't take a break, but if you want to prevent repetitive stress injuries, eye problems, etc., you should really try getting into the habit of taking 5 minutes every 60 to 90 minutes, to stand up and walk away from your computer. Taking proper care of our bodies now will help keep us OUT of the chiropractor's office - or worse the operating room. We need to take better care of ourselves if we plan to keep working!

Tara33, Aug 9, 2006 IP
  10. jacksmith

jacksmith Peon

Best Answers:
    jacksmith, Aug 9, 2006 IP
    colonel99 likes this.
  11. ravianz

ravianz Notable Member

Best Answers:
    never got such a problem!
    i know its never easy when you are working but making it habit to reat after every 40 mins is better for your health; you just need to walk around and do some physical work (even drinking water may help you move a bit)

the most important thing is that you monitor should never be in such position that you have to see upside.

to protect yourself from computer related problems (studies under Ergonomics) you should remember three basic rules:

blink
    breath
    break

another important thing is your posture on your chair; it should be as close to natural as it can be e.g. dont cross your legs

ravianz, Aug 9, 2006 IP
  12. lithman

lithman Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I sit in a cube all day at a computer. I get back pain all the time!

lithman, Aug 10, 2006 IP
  13. Grafstein

Grafstein Peon

Best Answers:
    I advise buying a laptop and laying on a sofa-works for me!

Grafstein, Aug 10, 2006 IP
  14. idotcom

idotcom Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Oh boy... talk about pain... sheesh...

I've been doing this computer/desk thing for about 7/8 years, and before that I was a passenger in a really cool car crash in my trip to germany.

Well it was not cool cool, but really bad and lucky to be alive...

Driver was going 120mph lost control on curve went through a tree, a pole, 5 flips, and bouncing over a street landing upside down. Cool to watch I'm sure... but f'ed up my back.

I have back pain most of the time, and I belive it to be due to the posture.

My most comfortable position is: sitting in nice padded office chair, all the way back (back against the back of chair) scooted all the way up to the desk, which should be about couple inches lower than bottom of arms, and screen at eye level. That seems to be the best. Oh and keeping legs straight like on a subwoofer box :)

However, this is all bad for long periods of time. They should come out with ceiling screens and then just lay on the bed all natural... lol... who would leave then?

Wish y'all the best. Got to take care of the bods.

idotcom, Aug 10, 2006 IP
  15. redz

redz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    speaking of back pain, my back hurts alot right now from my computer chair.

redz, Aug 10, 2006 IP
  16. colonel99

colonel99 Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey jacksmith, I just repped you for your earlier thread.

I was just sitting down to start a thread about back pain when I found this one...

My back got screwed up standing on concrete floors in a factory for years and years. When I finally got a job with the carpet people, I thought my back pain was over, but it just got worse.

By accident, I discovered that sitting in a hard wooden chair with no cushion eliminated 60% of the pain.

I've been on anti-inflammatories (Lodine) for 8 years, and they take the edge off without affecting your mental clarity. 2 thumbs up!

Also, I've discovered that heat and a vibrating cushion (you know those Homedic contraptions? Some of em work!) can speed up the healing time when your back goes out.

Walking a mile a day also makes a huge difference.

Biggest things to avoid? Arm curls with a barbell and long car trips!

colonel99, Aug 10, 2006 IP
  17. tom_ryeback

tom_ryeback Peon

Best Answers:
    It's not just my back--I also feel terrible pain on my arms and nape after hours of work at my computer.

tom_ryeback, Aug 11, 2006 IP
  18. seoindiaweb

seoindiaweb Banned

Best Answers:
    I face the same problem.. i m on work from 11-8 and from 8:30-1:30 Am my personal work..
    so almost 9+5 = 14 hours of sitting..
    n at my home i've wooden chair lol.. so i hate it.. but i hope from this adsense check i m gonna buy a chair for sure...

seoindiaweb, Aug 11, 2006 IP
  19. kdobson99

kdobson99 Guest

Best Answers:
    I suggest u to take a break of 10 min n walk 4 every hour.n better consult a doc

kdobson99, Aug 11, 2006 IP
  20. Grafstein

Grafstein Peon

Best Answers:
    You guys shouldnt sit on wooden chairs,get a leather one OR put a cussion on your chair.

Grafstein, Aug 11, 2006 IP