1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How Can I make a page of website?

Discussion in 'CSS' started by shakoorbhatti, Aug 30, 2009.

I want to know how can i build a website page, its layout, header, footer, themes and much more........tell me the starting point to built a web page?
    thanks

shakoorbhatti, Aug 30, 2009 IP
  2. Jeehan

Jeehan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Jeehan, Aug 30, 2009 IP
  3. Stomme poes

Stomme poes Peon

Best Answers:
    If you're able to learn by following building instructions from a book, your local library (if it's a library that carries English-language books) should have

Build Your Own Web Site the Right Way Using HTML and CSS by Ian Lloyd.

He starts you out from the very beginning: what tools you need, then how to do both the HTML and the CSS, and later how to get what you build online and get a contact form working (that you cannot do with just HTML and CSS).

Second, you'll need a place to look up things as you come to them to see if the rules allow what you want:
    http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/ HTML4 specs, XHTML1.0 generally follows this with a few exceptions
    http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/about.html CSS 2.1 specs

I use this page for quick lookups of which tags may be in which tags: http://learningforlife.fsu.edu/webmaster/references/xhtml/tags/
    even though it's for "XHTML1.1" which nobody should be writing in because it's made of FAIL (unless your serving alternate content to IE browsers, in which case you're prolly using a lot of funky XML stuff most websites don't do).

In general, all you need is
    -a text editor (NOT Word, but something like Notepad or whatever doesn't automatically format your text)
    -as many web browsers as your OS can run (for testing)
    -a place to upload your pages for real testing (this can be some hosting provider or whatever)

everything else is extra.

Stomme poes, Aug 31, 2009 IP
  4. Hemuro

Hemuro Peon

Best Answers:
    first you have to learn html at least at http://www.w3schools.com/. Make sure to master html 100%, if you don't you'll run into to many problems. Then learn CSS and start making a page.

If you actually want it on the internet there are a multitude of free hosters - find them yourself. HTML and CSS is the bare minimum I would suggest for a simple web page.

Before you start a webpage, you should think about what you want the final product to look like. You might want to sketch it out on paper. Usually a table "skeleton" is the best way to organize everything.

I would make a main table with three tables inside in on different rows. The header, main page, and footer. If you use html and php, the header and footer won't be neccessary as there are functions that are better. Don't use frames!!! Frames don't look good and they are not very user friendly. iframes should be ok, a few.

Depending on what you want on the page fill in the tables with more tables or table columns and rows. Remmember tables aren't neccessary, but as webpages get more complex you will want to have it as a habit.

So in conclusion, first learn the code and plan how you want the page to look. Then make a skeleton and fill it in. If you want to do multiple pages then make a template by only putting in common page elements(saves time). Be creative, and expand your knowledge.

Hemuro, Aug 31, 2009 IP
  5. Stomme poes

Stomme poes Peon

Best Answers:
    Who is still building web pages out of tables?? Geocities is dead.

Stomme poes, Sep 1, 2009 IP
  6. Hemuro

Hemuro Peon

Best Answers:
    actually most sites do, dumbass, tables and lists. It's the best way to organize things, it's simple easy, and less time consuming, but as with every other thing there is more than one way to get similar effects

by the way you should stop posting what you don't know about Stomme Poes. really this isn't the first time i have seen you blatantly wrong and trying to correct me with something blatantly wrong.

Hemuro, Sep 1, 2009 IP
  7. epdrama

epdrama Peon

Best Answers:
    starting point of website is to buy a domain from a reputable site.

epdrama, Sep 1, 2009 IP
  8. RobertK

RobertK Peon

Best Answers:
    Starting point I recon should be getting WAMP and hosting a local server for yourself to test on. This way you wont be wasting any money if you feel like you are not up to it...

As for tables etc - not that great for SEO purposes as there tends to be more code than necessary. Div's and styles use less code and therefore there is more content for the search engines to crawl. For website design though - especially if you are just starting off I recommend going straight to div's and css. Learn tables and use tables only for what they are meant for - forms/table structures.

Thats my 2cents anyway.

RobertK, Sep 2, 2009 IP
  9. bobjones121806

bobjones121806 Guest

Best Answers:
    First find some online tutorials to learn.

bobjones121806, Sep 2, 2009 IP
  10. Stomme poes

Stomme poes Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm willing to call you on this. Show the proof.

You are free to build pages in tables (or are writing HTML for email clients since they're stuck in the 1990s as far as CSS support goes), however to tell a newb to learn to build in tables is pretty evil thing to do, since he or she will have to unlearn all that so they can use modern techniques.

Stomme poes, Sep 2, 2009 IP
  11. Hemuro

Hemuro Peon

Best Answers:
    tables aren't the only way, tables was simply an example. Divs are another common way. But some things require tables still. you could, for all intensive purposes, use just about anything.

CSS doesn't do all that much. The structure has to be HTML still, if it's any good. CSS Can't place things in the right spot, it only changes how it looks, it can push things but it's just better to not use it in that way.

Of course you could set up certain attributes to do some things, but seriously, why bother, 4X the time at least, to do it that way. For the same effect.

Hemuro, Sep 2, 2009 IP
  12. HighRankingSEO

HighRankingSEO Active Member

Best Answers:
    DIVs are the best for layouts...period...Tables are the best for Tabular Data.....Search engines can crawl both perfectly fine....

To build a website...Just learn basic HTML, CSS....

After that, if you want to start making nicer sites and more dynamic sites...learn Javascript first, then PHP.

You can do it all for free at W3C Schools....Just Google W3C school and you will find whatever you need.

HighRankingSEO, Sep 2, 2009 IP
  13. HighRankingSEO

HighRankingSEO Active Member

Best Answers:
    This is wrong. Tables are for tabular data now days (pretty much exclusively if you design correctly)....divs are for site layouts. While you can use both and it doesn't matter too much...css divs are pretty much the standard TODAY....in 1999, tables were the standard...now, they are not.....

HighRankingSEO, Sep 2, 2009 IP
  14. Hemuro

Hemuro Peon

Best Answers:
    That's a good neutral answer I agree with, but it doesn't matter what you use; you just organize and layout the page, and both have similar results. Yes sites use tables and lists, but divs are the overall organizer today -- divs are just more customizable.

I do personally prefer divs, but they are more complicated than tables. Tables don't need any CSS to do their job whereas divs do, to do it right.

So for a beginner using tables will give them a feel for design, but they should always look for better options, as they gain experience. You can do more with divs than tables, and there are more ways to organize a web page.

Hemuro, Sep 2, 2009 IP
  15. Stomme poes

Stomme poes Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with some of this, though I use CSS to place stuff regularly. I also use it for popups, multiple layouts for the same page (print, handheld, low-vision or high-contrast, or just multiple designs for the lawlz). Yes, it's mostly done with pushing things around. But you can get very creative with it, as many people do (and they post their results on various sites like A List Apart and JuicyStudio etc).

But I also care just as much about the structure. I don't use tables for a reason though I can get through a tabled page in JAWS so long as the tables aren't nested and the source order is normal. But usually it's in forms where all you hear are random numbers and phrases, often when people are using a table to make a two-column form. Sometimes all the questions are in a row and then all the inputs in another. This "technique" is used by large, successful companies who don't know much about user agents, users, or how to code semantic web pages. Now that the laws are starting to change, especially in the UK and Australia, and with the Olympics and Target getting sued for inaccessibility, we'll hopefully see less of this stuff.

Normally I'm no fan of lawsuits but sometimes it's the only way to make change : (

*note: the page states this:
    Which is not true of modern screen readers. They notice lists, tables, forms, headers, linked and non-linked text, and can present all these things to the user and the user can choose to go directly to any of them, or back, based purely on which tag is what. This is excellent and why I make liberal use of headers since header navigation is just to nice and easy.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2009
    Stomme poes, Sep 3, 2009 IP
  16. zankee

zankee Peon

Best Answers:

start with weebly.com its free and its basically drag and drop, no html if you can type copy or paste you can have a professional site up within 15 minutes

zankee, Sep 3, 2009 IP
  17. wd_2k6

wd_2k6 Peon

Best Answers:
    I've never used tables for designs, and wouldn't even know how to use a table for design.
    Luckily I learnt properly from the start thanks to good guidence (mostly from people at these forums).

Tables were the old way to create layouts, but everyone should now be using more semantic based layouts (and be learning to do this from the word go), using the correct elements, required. Otherwise how do you expect a machine to be able to understand what our page is about.

The problem is that with information overload, there are still tons of articles around the internet which promote the use of tables for layouts (more than likely dated from 10 years ago). Anybody with any desire to learn HTML/CSS properly will not be using this method, and in the future those who stick to their table layouts cannot expect help from places like this exact forum, especially when HTML5 comes into action, it's game over. You'll just be told to shove your layout. The same would go for using them on a portfolio, or when looking for work in the area.

wd_2k6, Sep 3, 2009 IP