1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Please start locking OLD threads

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by JasMate, Aug 9, 2006.

I have had enough of clicking on a thread reading half way through the thing only to find out it was written about 10 months ago :eek:

Please Digital Point START LOCKING OLD THREADS!!

JasMate, Aug 9, 2006 IP
  2. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Being an old thread makes it any less helpful? DP ranks for thousands of forum threads, so when a visitor reaches the forums from Google or wherever they ain't gonna take notice of the age of the thread.

dcristo, Aug 9, 2006 IP
  3. amitpatel_3001

amitpatel_3001 Results Follow Patience

Best Answers:
  4. shamess

shamess Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There's nothing wrong with a thread becuse it's old. In other forums I find it annoying when I'm reading a whole thread to find that it's locked.

Well those threads are for people offering their services, it's not like they can all post in the same thread. But I know what you mean with the "how many adsense units can i put on one page" question being asked at least once a week.

shamess, Aug 9, 2006 IP
  5. JasMate

JasMate Active Member

Best Answers:
    What???
    Are you serious?
    If I was searching google for the latest info about a pc game and came to a sites thread about that game, started reading but only to find out the info was a year old I would not be very happy :mad:
    In fact it is not relevant to my search if I am after the latest information.

Also by locking I mean unable to bump or post in that thread anymore. I don't mean remove it completely people will still be able to fead it if they want to but the good thing is it will not keep getting bumped to the surface every 3 months!

JasMate, Aug 9, 2006 IP
  6. maldives

maldives Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Old threads are very helpful. It does not make the quality of the forum any bad.

maldives, Aug 9, 2006 IP
  7. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Yeah let's just stop discussion of all old threads :rolleyes:

dcristo, Aug 9, 2006 IP
  8. JasMate

JasMate Active Member

Best Answers:
    *Bump* :D
    Don't get me wrong old threads rock!! BUT they only rock when they are searched for!

You see if I want to find archived information I will search for it. I don't want to go to my favorite section of the boards and click on what I think is new info about something only to find out the info is old and sometimes usless to me. One good example of this is if I see "hosting coupon" thread for example and I go yeah cool I need a hosting coupon, but in my overwhelming joy to get my coupon I don't look at the thread age, read half way through the thread (which is about 20+ pages long mind you) only to find posts like "is this still available?" or "kill this thread man it is over a year old" at that point I look at the date and kick myself for wasting 30 minutes :rolleyes:

JasMate, Aug 9, 2006 IP
    ROAR likes this.
  9. ROAR

ROAR Well-Known Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Why dont you open your eyes and look at the date?

Do you frequently find yourself buying yesterdays paper?

ROAR, Aug 9, 2006 IP
  10. JasMate

JasMate Active Member

Best Answers:
    Wow sorry I am not perfect :confused:
    And no my shop doesn't sell yesterdays paper :)

JasMate, Aug 9, 2006 IP
  11. maldives

Best Answers:
    Not all the old threads are useless. From old to new, all the webmaster related information can be found here. Old is gold. If you search for all "PR update" many results will come about old PR updates.

The age of the thread is shown in the search results. So there is no point of opening a 20 year old thread. ;)

maldives, Aug 9, 2006 IP
  12. maldives

Best Answers:
    You should make it available if you want to be ahead of your competitors. :D :D

maldives, Aug 9, 2006 IP
  13. JasMate

JasMate Active Member

Best Answers:
    Odviously I am the only person that wants old threads locked so sorry I started this thread, I honestly thought there would be others like me that felt the same way, so you guys win !!

JasMate, Aug 9, 2006 IP
  14. yfs1

yfs1 User Title Not Found

Best Answers:
    Look again, they are all the same person (at least the first 5 I looked at) ;)

yfs1, Aug 9, 2006 IP
  15. amitpatel_3001

amitpatel_3001 Results Follow Patience

Best Answers:

Did you take the pain to read those threads i gave u?
    A writer giving article writing service and tsrtig a new thread on it every other day.

amitpatel_3001, Aug 9, 2006 IP
  16. devin

devin Guest

Best Answers:
    just don't bump it. and like RAOR said, read the dates before jumping to conclusions. many old threads are still useful.

devin, Aug 9, 2006 IP
  17. JasMate

JasMate Active Member

Best Answers:
    Still useful to read yes but when everthing has been said in a thread is it still useful to add a "I agree" to the end of it after 12 months? Or worse still saying the exact thing that someone else said 10 or 20 pages earlier? Because the thread is so big no one really reads the whole thing so people are just echoing previous posts.

Would you like to see this thread hanging around for a year or more or would you rather see it die? I would like it to die but there is nothing stopping someone bringing it back from the dead every 6 months. I would much rather just be able to search for it if I need it than have to scroll past the old thread to get upto date info.

JasMate, Aug 9, 2006 IP
  18. yfs1

yfs1 User Title Not Found

Best Answers:
    If its a matter of bumping, report the offending post and they will most likely get an infraction. Enough bumps and they get bumped themselves.

yfs1, Aug 9, 2006 IP
  19. JasMate

JasMate Active Member

Best Answers:
    No I wasnt talking about bumping for the sake of bumping I was talking about genuine people posting geniune comments in old threads which causes the thread to bump. Which makes me think it would be just as good to make threads still postable but non bumpable after say 6 months... your thoughts......

JasMate, Aug 9, 2006 IP
  20. devin

devin Guest

Best Answers:
    that's what infractions are for. just report the post and mods will take care of it.

EDIT: yfs1 summed it up. :eek:

devin, Aug 9, 2006 IP