1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I dont get approved in dmoz directory whats the time frame/

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by jomillergo, Aug 13, 2009.

I have two websites and applying them in dmoz directory, i followed all the rules they have specified in the site, correct title, correct description and even the selection of category, why im not yet listed and i want to know the normal time frame where a site will be approved in dmoz.org

jomillergo, Aug 13, 2009 IP
  2. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    Any time between three days and three years. As editors are volunteers, and not a listing service for site owners, it's impossible to predict if or when an editor will review it.

We don't want all sites, only the ones that will be useful for each category, so there is no guarantee that it will ever be listed.

crowbar, Aug 13, 2009 IP
  3. hasnatullah

hasnatullah Guest

Best Answers:
    please dont look forward being accepted
    dont keep visting to check
    will save you time

hasnatullah, Sep 1, 2009 IP
  4. RadioBounce

RadioBounce Banned

Best Answers:
    Hello, I submitted my website over 6 months ago to DMOZ I still havn't been accepted. You'd rather not waste your time and keep continuing on improving your website. Geting listed on DMOZ can take years so there's no point in checking to see if you've been accepted every single day.

RadioBounce, Sep 1, 2009 IP
  5. Helvetii

Helvetii Notable Member

Best Answers:
    A Quicker way to get approved is to become an editor for the category ;)

Helvetii, Sep 1, 2009 IP
  6. Jin

Jin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you do not get approved in atleast 2-3 months time, then most likely they would never add you.

Jin, Sep 1, 2009 IP
  7. zebno

zebno Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Some with me most of the time, i tried twice for one of my site but no luck, So submit & forget. DEMOZ is not that important there are many other ways to promote your site :)

zebno, Sep 1, 2009 IP
  8. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There's no foundation in fact for such a statement.

ODP is a volunteer organisation building a directory as a hobby. Editors edit where they wish, when they wish and as much as they wish within the constraints of their permissions. We have no schedules or systems to force people to do work that they don't volunteer to do. ODP is not primarily a free listing service for website owners and it does not attempt to process their listing suggestions within the time scales desired by them.

jimnoble, Sep 1, 2009 IP
  9. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    That's false. There is no time frame. It might be 3 days or it might be over 3 years. It might be a site we can use, or might be one we don't want at all. There's no guarantee, and no site has a right to be listed.

crowbar, Sep 1, 2009 IP
  10. trustnobodynever

trustnobodynever Peon

Best Answers:
    don't even bother with it , read the forum , look on another forums and so on ... it's not worth to lose your time with then ;)

that's explain how it's here so much crap spam sites listed maybe this '' volunteer '' work . Your hobby guys it's to fill your pockets ? or to build a directory for webmasters who can reach the right guy :)?

trustnobodynever, Sep 1, 2009 IP
  11. caprichoso

caprichoso Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Submit your site once, if you have ten minutes to waste. Don't even bother to check if your site is listed. Don't you dare to ask an editor about your submission or you'll become a spammer. If you are VERY lucky and there is a honest editor for the category you submitted your site to, you will have a chance of being listed. Otherwise, most probable you will never get listed. Specially if you have a quality site which may compete with other sites already listed there. Because most entries in DMOZ were added by editors without being suggested. Those site are supposed to be "randomly" picked up. But if you take a look to a category you are related to. You will surely see some suspicious listings: low content-quality, outdated sites; spam sites.

caprichoso, Sep 1, 2009 IP
  12. fastreplies

fastreplies Banned

Best Answers:
    The same talking points again and again.
    Do you copy and paste them or coming up with new variation depending on your mood?

Can you explain then, what you had volunteer for if you don't have to do anything?
    Why don't you go away and let people who want to do something to replace bunch of lazy good for nothing bums to edit DMOZ submissions? Maybe if they edit only one site per day, people won't wait for 2 or 3 years to get listed because doing their job 30.000 editors will clean pending bin in no time.

Talking about time.
    You and your bodies sure have time going around forums to spread DMOZ "brotherly love" gospel and I wonder, why don't you spend that time to add at least one site instead? Ya, why not, instead of reading my post, you could review jomillergo's site, eh.

;)

fastreplies

fastreplies, Sep 1, 2009 IP
  13. drezzu

drezzu Peon

Best Answers:
    Even my blog has not been approved since 4 months and i dont know what went wrong. i am going to wait as long as it takes and suggest you do the same

drezzu, Sep 1, 2009 IP
  14. kyo21

kyo21 Peon

Best Answers:
    need some luck, don't be so sad just because of fail to listed in DMOZ

kyo21, Sep 1, 2009 IP
  15. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    Most likely, no volunteer editor has gotten around to looking at it, drezzu. We have other hobbies, and a real life too. :) Editors do this in their spare time.

Good advice, kyo21. Once you've suggested a site, your job is done, there is nothing more you can do.

crowbar, Sep 1, 2009 IP
  16. fastreplies

fastreplies Banned

Best Answers:
    You got brainwashed into believing that your effort will help the World to become better place
    but at your age Jim you should know better that that.

Jim, I just wonder, what would happened if they asked you to volunteer to build condoms collection as a hobby?

:D

fastreplies

fastreplies, Sep 2, 2009 IP
  17. bruceslogos

bruceslogos Peon

Best Answers:
    i also submit site to dmoz but i dont know on when and what are the real guidelines to be accepted.

bruceslogos, Sep 2, 2009 IP
  18. Oceantide24

Oceantide24 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    The best thing is to submit and forget. Focus on other sites.

Oceantide24, Sep 2, 2009 IP
  19. trustnobodynever

trustnobodynever Peon

Best Answers:
    the real guidelines from them are so well keep secret similar with some top secret stuff's from CIA maybe :) .... actually there are enough sites on directory to consider this public guidelines just a pathetic joke ;)

it's not even worth the time lost to '' suggest '' because they aren't calling '' this process submit '' , about forget part , yeah that's right we can forget it lol

trustnobodynever, Sep 2, 2009 IP
  20. xplicit702

xplicit702 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Its not the end of the world if you are not accepted.

What is all the hype about anyways, who even uses DMOZ these days?

Isn't there an option for a paid listing there? I can't remember.

xplicit702, Sep 2, 2009 IP