1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

This page's navbar is doubled in height only in IE8. Please help me fix it!

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by cpkid1, Aug 31, 2009.

http://socialmediate.com/members

The navbar looks fine in Chrome and FF but in IE8, the height is doubled. Can someone please help me out?

Note: There is a submenu (under 'community') and I need to keep that intact.

cpkid1, Aug 31, 2009 IP
  2. Hemuro

Hemuro Peon

Best Answers:
    set the height by pixels. pixels are universal

Hemuro, Aug 31, 2009 IP
  3. cpkid1

cpkid1 Peon

Best Answers:
    thanks for the reply!

what should i set the height for? the only height attribute i set was for #dropmenu, #dropmenu ul and it's already set in pixels to 28px.

cpkid1, Aug 31, 2009 IP
  4. Hemuro

Hemuro Peon

Best Answers:
    that's strange, check to see if IE8 is zoomed in.if not, you could also do a javascipt function where it checks for and if it is IE8 then it runs a different set of code where you set it to 14px. using
    if(IE8){execute this with 14 px navbar
    }
    else{execute this with 28 px navbar
    }
    (i hope you release this isn't actual code just general formatting)
    before you go crazy with that you could also use different units like pt and play around with the numbers. it could simply be possible microsoft made more vista like mistakes in IE8 making px a different size, doubtfully but, just try playing around with these different units if it won't work you have to do the tiring code like above. if you want help with formatting or coding the cumbersome code just post more in this thread. I am not an expert in this but i solidly know ways to do most things, in some way.
    reference this sloppily copied chart from http://www.w3schools.com/css/css_units.asp this url:
    Unit Description
    % percentage
    in inch
    cm centimeter
    mm millimeter
    em 1em is equal to the current font size. 2em means 2 times the sizof the current font. E.g., if an element is displayed with a font of 12 pt, then '2em' is 24 pt. The 'em' is a very useful unit in CSS, since it can adapt automatically to the font that the reader uses

ex one ex is the x-height of a font (x-height is usually about half the font-size)
    pt point (1 pt is the same as 1/72 inch)
    pc pica (1 pc is the same as 12 points)
    px pixels (a dot on the computer screen)

Hemuro, Aug 31, 2009 IP
  5. cpkid1

cpkid1 Peon

Best Answers:
    i found the answer!

i had a self-closing div tag: <div id="rss-feed"><a href="/feed" title="Subscribe to Our Blog!" /></div> and IE was confused. so i changed it to <div id="rss-feed"><a href="/feed" title="Subscribe to Our Blog!"></a></div> and all is well in the universe again. hemuro, i appreciate your help!

cpkid1, Aug 31, 2009 IP