1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Aren't you concerned about fluff here?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Alevoor, Aug 28, 2009.

Hello,

It pains to see more and more useless posts that are made here presumably to advise on various aspects of SEO. They are useless because they appear to be posted by those self proclaimed SEO experts who hardly have any real world knowledge about optimizing and traffic building, leave aside how they can tide over long term SEO issues like ranking slumps etc. (to see their DP credentials is more dissppointing)

A quick run through this forum and you can pick out more than a couple of threads in every page crying hoarse to advise you. And what do you find inside? Nothing more than some generic or outdated ideas that are long discarded by search engines. To add to it, there will be a few "wow wow" replies to each of them.

Where are we going intellectually? Are we not patient enough to use the search tool here or don't we have enough time to browse through the 1000 odd pages for real stuff by real people? Is this impatience symbolic of new age "wannabe webmasters" or indifference to actual work? Is this a sign of crave for sudden gratification? Are all those newbies who are hailing "worth nothing posts" wasting their times?

It pains.

Alevoor, Aug 28, 2009 IP
    bank and jayw1988 like this.
  2. bank

bank Peon

Best Answers:
    Good post, and i couldn't agree more.

About 98% of the threads/posts are utter garbage, they don't even make sense. I have mucked around coding auto-blogs that mashup content from several sources, plus run it through a markov chain and "they" make more sense than some of the stuff posted here.

Take this prime example: http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=1473958

"which is the search engiene" and he has some SEO company in his signature, and he's asking what's a search engine. Plus people are too dumb to realize it's blatant spam, and reply with boiler-plate junk copied from elsewhere.

Sometimes i really wonder if the owner of DP isn't pulling in auto generated content with a script, surely there's no way a real person could make some of these posts. :confused:

bank, Aug 28, 2009 IP
  3. jayw1988

jayw1988 Peon

Best Answers:
    +1 rep for a post that actually makes sense, It pisses me off to 99.9% of people here have absolutely no SEO experience what so ever, yet there giving out advice?

-Jay.

jayw1988, Aug 28, 2009 IP
  4. Tara33

Tara33 Peon

Best Answers:
    I, too have found the fruits of this site to be very sparse over the last year or so; at least in the SEO section. With the exception of a handful of contributors to this particular section, we have a bunch of web zombies making horribly mis-guided suggestions to people, who are truly looking for help with a situation.

Yesterday, I came across a thread where someone was asking for advice. He or she got a couple of very contradictory answers to the question. And then, in walks a useless contributor, who says, "I agree with everyone else." What? How can you agree with everyone else when their answers were completely the opposite of each other?

At the same time, many of the original posters are guilty of writing at least a semi-enticing title, to which their actual question bears little to no resemblance. That's also annoying.

I see "SEO Expert" in many signatures, and judging by the content of these peoples' contributions, I would have to imagine they are advertising for another company...surely, they can't be the expert. Or can they? I suppose we can call ourselves whatever we like on here, and just hope for some site traffic garnered by backlinks from bullsh*t posts with little to no relevance to anything...much less SEO.

So, I for one believe this meaningless content, or "fluff" as you call it, only steals away precious time we could all be using to actually learn the trade.

Tara33, Aug 28, 2009 IP
  5. theapparatus

theapparatus Peon

Best Answers:
    That and I think some folks are thinking we still have adsense sharing.

Have you reported the thread in question as spam?

theapparatus, Aug 28, 2009 IP
  6. Alevoor

Alevoor Active Member

Best Answers:
    No offense, but you could do it yourself or anybody else who saw it could, for that matter. Unless you are frustrated to the brim or we have a drive of sorts to check them, we leave it upon the others.

Although it is disgusting, it gave a good laugh in the end.

I wonder, if this goes on unabated, whether we will see DP alive in the future. If we want DP alive and kicking, moderators / owners should act now and act decisively. A small, temporary infraction hardly does any good.

Alevoor, Aug 28, 2009 IP
  7. willybfriendly

willybfriendly Peon

Best Answers:
    I would agree. The noise level makes it hard to pick out any real info. And, this is hardly the place to discuss the nuances of a changing landscape.

I can live with some of the poor grammar, assuming that it is written by non-English speakers. But I sure get tired of the "social bookmarking' is that answer to everything type replies.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2009
    willybfriendly, Aug 28, 2009 IP
  8. xphiletc

xphiletc Peon

Best Answers:
    The first time that I come to this forum, I know it is not welcomed to just say thankyou, so I just follow the rule and don'r say that!

Even if when I really want to share my thanks and appreciation, i will first say why and what I learn!

xphiletc, Aug 28, 2009 IP
  9. theapparatus

theapparatus Peon

Best Answers:
    Actually I do but I'm not familiar with the thread in question. I'm sure the mods here will call me "report happy" if they see this thread as I report things quite often.

theapparatus, Aug 29, 2009 IP
  10. internetheaven

internetheaven Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I think the blame lies in the move toward Facebook and Twitter style "I must type every thought I'm having as it comes" programs. The pause between what people are thinking and what they type seems to be gone.

P.S. I'm currently eating a packet of crisps ... will that affect my rankings? It's my birthday soon!! Yay for me! Does my age affect my domain's trust rank on Google?

internetheaven, Aug 29, 2009 IP
  11. Alevoor

Alevoor Active Member

Best Answers:
    You guys really seem to have tremendous sense of humor.

That apart, it's an interesting angle that you gave to this and suddenly it seems like there is a trend going currently of typing everything that crosses one's mind. If that's right it vindicates my OP that such posters we are talking about are chasing instant gratification (if they wanted to know whether growing old by a day alters their Google ranking, they could well have found out about it without asking someone as well)

But deep down, facebook and twitter are only culminations of systematic commercial efforts to encash a preexisting psychosis. They succeeded because they could fill a vacuum.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2009
    Alevoor, Aug 29, 2009 IP
  12. MoonlightCao

MoonlightCao Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree. it's time to get the F out!!!!

That is, get the "Fluff" out.

MoonlightCao, Aug 29, 2009 IP