1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Adsense enabling multiple ad networks

Discussion in 'AdSense' started by dukeofism, Aug 26, 2009.

I just got an email from google about their mission to update and enable multiple ad networks under adsense. What are your thoughts?

Here is the email i got:

Hi,

We're writing to let you know about an upcoming update in your AdSense account designed to help you generate the maximum revenue from your ad units. You'll soon be able to allow multiple ad networks to show on your pages, which means that advertisers from external Google-certified networks will be able to compete with AdWords advertisers for your ad space.

If you're unfamiliar with what ad networks are, they're companies that partner with advertisers and publishers to buy and sell ads on sites they don't own themselves, similar to AdSense. Ads from these networks will compete with Google ads to show on publisher sites, and the ad generating the highest revenue for publishers will be displayed.

To ensure the quality of the ads appearing on your sites, we're certifying all participating ad networks for adherence to our standards for user privacy, ad quality, and speed. You'll also have control over which networks can show ads on your pages -- you can choose to opt out of receiving ads from specific networks, or all networks completely. This means you can continue to show ads from only AdWords advertisers if you'd like.

Finally, some ad networks use tools similar to Google's interest-based advertising to show more relevant ads to users on the sites they visit. These ad networks won't be permitted to collect data from your site for the purpose of subsequent interest-based advertising, but we'll allow those who comply with user privacy guidelines to show ads using these tools. You'll have the ability to opt out of showing ads based on user interests from these ad networks, and we've changed our requirements for third-party ad serving to reflect this. More information is available at http://adwords.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=94230 .

These new capabilities will automatically be enabled for your account, and you'll see a new section in your Ad Review Center where you can allow or block specific ad networks. Please note that we'll gradually be adding new ad networks to AdSense accounts over the next few months, so you won't see any immediate impact on your ads or your earnings.

To learn more about this launch and managing the ad networks appearing on your pages, visit the AdSense Help Center at https://www.google.com/adsense/support/bin/topic.py?hl=en&topic=13522 and watch our video demo at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HyJPOVLd3I .

Sincerely,

The Google AdSense Team

Email preferences: You have received this mandatory email service announcement to update you about important changes to your AdSense product or account.

Google Inc.
    1600 Amphitheatre Parkway
    Mountain View, CA 94043

dukeofism, Aug 26, 2009 IP
  2. Farmer77

Farmer77 Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah, I just got the email as well. I'm wondering if that relates to CPM or PPC adsense, if it's CPM, it won't matter a whole lot for me

Farmer77, Aug 26, 2009 IP
  3. ttomp13

ttomp13 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'm very interested to see if this means that AdSense is connecting w/ Chitika or Adbrite.
    Maybe I misunderstood the message...?

ttomp13, Aug 26, 2009 IP
  4. remshad

remshad Active Member

Best Answers:
    Whole i read but not understand what they are saying?
    Do they allow ads network to use others

remshad, Aug 26, 2009 IP
  5. redgsr

redgsr Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I've had this active in my account for a while now. They started with a few publishers and the current list is below...

DataXu
    Acxiom
    Adchemy
    Invite Media
    Specific Media
    Turn
    [X+1] aka: Xplusone

redgsr, Aug 26, 2009 IP
  6. abdobasha2004

abdobasha2004 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    yea
    this is great

abdobasha2004, Aug 26, 2009 IP
  7. egycoins

egycoins Banned

Best Answers:
    I think there will be a co-operation with Chitika

egycoins, Aug 26, 2009 IP
  8. Surf_Dude

Surf_Dude Peon

Best Answers:
    Who ARE these people?
    Never heard of a single one of them.
    This is sounding rather bizarre. I'm a late adapter for several reasons. I'll disable them until I hear positive reports.
    Keep in mind that these are "mandatory opt-in". Something I have never been too fond of. Like CPM.

<edit>
    Here are the ones on my list -
    Google Ad Exchange Testing Network - ???
    Aggregate Knowledge - http://www.aggregateknowledge.com/
    DataXu - Brand new mystery start-up - http://www.dataxu.com/
    Acxiom - http://www.acxiom.com/
    Adchemy - http://adchemy.com/
    Invite Media - http://www.invitemedia.com/
    Specific Media - http://www.specificmedia.com/
    Turn - http://www.turn.com/corp/index.jsp
    [X+1] - http://www.xplusone.com/

I blocked them all, until there is PROOF that they will make more money. I don't do "beta" any more. Too much wasted time.
    I just tried AbBrite again after 2 years. What a dismal experience. Only spammy ads that pay almost nothing. Done with AdBrite.

There truly is NO ALTERNATIVE to AdSense. I'd like to keep it pure. Watering it down with ANYTHING would not be good. IMHO.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2009
    Surf_Dude, Aug 26, 2009 IP
  9. 1-script.com

1-script.com Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Right on, Surf Dude! Are these the most obscure ad networks (which is an oxymoron) out there or what?

Wouldn't it be great if there was Chitika on that list since it's the only ad network I've seen that can touch Adsense's eCPM. And yet even Chitika has eCPM usually lower than AsSense, so why would I want them or anybody else as a replacement?

It may also be just Google doing some funny avoid-monopoly-allegations PR trick

1-script.com, Aug 26, 2009 IP
  10. redgsr

redgsr Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The new publishers will be bidding along side the current Adsense publishers for the same keywords. So advertisers that were not using Adsense before now will be - thus in theory driving up the price per click.

That's my take anyway and from what I have noticed over the last couple weeks.

redgsr, Aug 26, 2009 IP
  11. dinrock

dinrock Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    With all of this in mind, should we leave our account settings alone? Or are there other suggestions in regards to this newest ad network aspect, when it comes into play?

dinrock, Aug 26, 2009 IP
  12. Surf_Dude

Surf_Dude Peon

Best Answers:
    THE BIGGEST question is -
    Are we going to be able to see results of these 3rd party advertisers in our stats?
    Or, is everything going to be mixed together, so that no analysis can be done at all?

Does Google really want us to see exactly how well this is working?
    If no, I have ZERO interest in this new scheme. If yes, people will report their results, and we will know soon enough.

13. 1-script.com

1-script.com Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think you got it in reverse: publishers never bid on anything, advertisers do. And, yes, in theory more advertisers mean higher click prices but that goes right back to the question of who are these people (ad networks)? They are not "household names" in online advertising, so to speak, so what little amount of new advertisers they can introduce into the system will not affect the click price in any meaningful way.

1-script.com, Aug 26, 2009 IP
  14. christian231

christian231 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You all don't know what this means....?? We're going to be rich. It's going to be like the old days where you'll average $1.00 per click. It's going to be sweet.

(sarcasm..no charge)

christian231, Aug 26, 2009 IP
  15. nihangshah

nihangshah Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    We already do these things with Google AdManager.

nihangshah, Aug 26, 2009 IP
  16. Surf_Dude

Surf_Dude Peon

Best Answers:
    "These things" are not currently done with AdSense. All I ever see are AdWords ads. This is what is changing, for AdSense publishers.

17. Cagliostro

Cagliostro Active Member

Best Answers:
    Guys why jump to conclusions ?

Let's wait a little. Let's wait to SEE what new ads will be displayed. By that we will know the results.

Cagliostro, Aug 26, 2009 IP
  18. christian231

christian231 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Just read the first paragraph.

If you run Adsense ads on your site, there are now going to be other networks showing ads there too, which hopefully means more competition and better earnings. If you got this email (which I did) it means the ads showing on your site may come from other advertising networks aside from Google. Adwords is an entirely different thing. You can already choose to publish your Adwords ads on different "search partners, and content sites". Maybe we'll see some increase $$ from this. It can't get too much worse.

christian231, Aug 26, 2009 IP
  19. mjewel

mjewel Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Sounds like a legal angle to prevent claims of an advertising monopoly. Google already owns the market and has the highest prices. These much smaller networks exist because they cater to advertisers who don't want to pay adsense pricing. These networks have to collect their cut, and now they are going to have to pay google something. The yahoo/google deal couldn't get approval, but now google can say they open their network up to the smaller advertisers. AT&T was forced to do this years ago.

I doubt these small ad networks will be big participants - after all, as soon as their clients realize their ads are running on google sites, they can cut the middle man out and go direct - but the reason they went with these smaller networks is pricing or perhaps the ability to reach targets google didn't have.

There could be some small increase on the very low end of the market, but I don't expect to see any increase for higher paying niches. This is a google smoke screen ploy to try and fend off government intervention.

mjewel, Aug 27, 2009 IP