1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Ranking first page for keyword "cars"

Discussion in 'Link Development' started by sarahturned, Aug 24, 2009.

Like everyone, I'd like to rank on the first page for a highly lucrative keyword.

If I've got time on my side and the funds (couple hundred per month) to support this activity, what would be the most effective method to reach my goal?

Thanks

sarahturned, Aug 24, 2009 IP
  2. theapparatus

theapparatus Peon

Best Answers:
    For "cars"?

Looking at the results, I'd buy Disney. Considering that 4 of the 10 results are for the movie, that's be the best route.

Sorry but I think you're dreaming. No offense intended.

theapparatus, Aug 24, 2009 IP
  3. sarahturned

sarahturned Peon

Best Answers:
    Cars is really just an example of a high value keyword. The point is what is the best way to rank for a highly valuable keyword?

I've seen one site that in the last 6 months has managed to accomplish just this, I'm not sure how though.

sarahturned, Aug 24, 2009 IP
  4. celestialjones

celestialjones Peon

Best Answers:
    You've got a few options. Most are gonna cost you a lot more than a couple of hundred though . . . and there's no guarantees:

1 - Buy a site that's already ranking - EXPENSIVE
    2 - Buy a relevant domain that's been registered for at least a year and then get some advice on an aggressive link building strategy to get you ranking - RISKY & EXPENSIVE
    3 - Buy a fresh domain and start from the bottom with great content and full on linkbaiting & online PR - LONG TERM, EXPENSIVE, STILL NO GUARANTEES

Don't underestimate the budgets that are behind the SEO on competitive keywords . . . sure, you'll get the odd 'lucky' site that has had no work done ... but they are few and far between :)

celestialjones, Aug 24, 2009 IP
  5. ebmocwen

ebmocwen Peon

Best Answers:
    Some very good points. No one gets to #1 in Google by accident, it takes time, effort, investment and.... patience :)

ebmocwen, Aug 24, 2009 IP
  6. arkueckelhan

arkueckelhan Active Member

Best Answers:
    Sarahturned, could you please shoot me the url of the site you are talking about that did that in just 6 months. I will analyze it and let you know what I think got them ranked so well and so fast

(PM me it, I might loose track of this thread)

arkueckelhan, Aug 24, 2009 IP
  7. dencha

dencha Active Member

Best Answers:
    Check out the sites backlinks and replicate

dencha, Aug 24, 2009 IP
  8. mrmoney

mrmoney Guest

Best Answers:
    You should have come 10 years before for dat.

mrmoney, Aug 24, 2009 IP
  9. danmon

danmon Active Member

Best Answers:
    you mean of cars.com.. did you check the backlinks in google?? lol.. more than 17k!! :)

danmon, Aug 24, 2009 IP
  10. Leon E.

Leon E. Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I admire your courage, but here's a tip in a realistic sense. Build a keyword ladder with cars as your main target. Are you willing to rank for long tail keywords first? Cause that's the realistic approach to me if you're targeting to rank for a multi million dollar keyword

Leon E., Aug 24, 2009 IP
  11. PinkLink

PinkLink Peon

Best Answers:
    I like the spirit... Keep it up, you will get the target one day.
    It is just like a fresh tennis player dreams to win Wimbledon, a new actor think about winning Oscar or a businessman want to become a billionaire.

PinkLink, Aug 24, 2009 IP
  12. dencha

dencha Active Member

Best Answers:
    Then he better get to work!!! :D

But Leon is right....go for the long long longtail first that work you way up to the main keyword or short tail you are targeting for. When you first target for the long long longtail, you'll also be ranking for the short tail of that keyword.

This blog post explains it better:
    How I Find Money Making Niche
    *Extremely long post but very good information!

dencha, Aug 25, 2009 IP
  13. KathyMillerL222

KathyMillerL222 Peon

Best Answers:
    Yup, There are 505,000,000 competiting sites, However, you can come to TOP, but it needs a hard work for at least 8-12 months.... :) Rather than it, it is better to buy an already TOP listed site there :p

KathyMillerL222, Aug 25, 2009 IP
  14. sarahturned

sarahturned Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the vote of confidence. I know it's not an easy goal, but time and patience are on my side.

If you were to create a campaign to reach this goal, what would be the best way of doing it? High quality content is a given and something I'm working on.

I'm looking at what types of activities should I be doing offsite? It would have to be more then just forum posting and blog commenting. What else would be suggested.

Thanks

sarahturned, Aug 25, 2009 IP
  15. afunguy24

afunguy24 Peon

Best Answers:
    I wouldn't even try it myself.

It's possible anything is possible. Sh#t happens.

afunguy24, Aug 25, 2009 IP
  16. YugoSlavac

YugoSlavac Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That keyword would be tough to be even ranked on the 4th page. Most of the webpages when I searched "cars" on Google was the movie, so I suggest you get a domain about the movie and base your page of that, you'd be DREAMING if you wanted to get indexed #1. It's hard work, and when I mean HARD work, it could take you months even years to get close.

YugoSlavac, Aug 25, 2009 IP
  17. nitin22

nitin22 Active Member

Best Answers:
    It is possible. However don't even think of how many hundreds it will take. It will take big time thousands.
    The way to do it is:
    a> Massive article submission
    b> Massive PR submission
    c> Massive link purchase (under the table)
    d> Massive in-content link purchase (Under the table)
    e> Goes without saying getting listed in all paid directories

Make a target of 300,000 backlinks in yahoo backlink check. If you achieve it in 6 month time, you will be on first page for said term.

It requires huge money, but if you rank on first page for competive term, you will make obscene amount of money.

nitin22, Aug 25, 2009 IP
  18. JonRhodesUK

JonRhodesUK Active Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Of course its possible, but obviously very difficult. Forum posts and blog comments would barely cut it IMHO, so I wouldn't bother too much. Article submission is quite good because you can control you anchor texts. You will need to write very informative and/or controversial articles in order to have these articles further distributed (you will need this if you are competing with 17k of links).

I would also be racking my brain for some sort of viral marketing strategy, whether it is a funny or controversial video, or some sort of amazing free widget that can be embedded with a link to your site. Think of it this way. If you ask for 100 links and say get 5, then you are doing well. Just think how many requests you will have to make to get more than 17k!

You have to go for it with some aggression and intelligence. Doing the standard things will only get you standard results, and top ranking for a term like 'cars' is not standard. You will probably need to ruffle some feathers and take some risks, but it is possible.

Maybe you could set up a blog and detail your journey about trying to rank no. 1 for 'cars'. Tell people what you are doing and let them share in your learning. Give regular progress reports and updates etc. Maybe you could be the hero small guy who is taking on the big guns. Some people might eventually get behind you and offer you advice, and maybe even some help, who knows?

JonRhodesUK, Aug 25, 2009 IP
  19. sarahturned

sarahturned Peon

Best Answers:
    @JonRhodesUK, you make some really good points, especially with the website idea. I've been amazed just how many people email me already offering "freebies" because of my niche.

How did you come across the number of 17k links?

sarahturned, Aug 25, 2009 IP
  20. SilverCake

SilverCake Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    i wish i had a couple hundred a month to play with lol

SilverCake, Aug 25, 2009 IP