1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How can I market this forum

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by formula, Aug 21, 2009.

Hi all.

I try to bring more people to this forum and I wonder how could I market it? because it has low volume people don't want to join. But if they don't join it can't move forward...

I don't want to use fake messages

formula, Aug 21, 2009 IP
  2. ~kev~

~kev~ Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Most professional or high end bloggers know the types of software out there, including forum software. To present a professional "look", you should at least customize the theme of your forum, and I highly recommend you stop using that free forum software.

phpbb is ok, but it does not say "I am serious about this project". What it does say - "I'am trying to get off as cheap as possible." Regardless of how much traffic you drive to your site, there are some people that will not register because you are using phpbb.

The way "I" would promote your site, I would open a youtube or a facebook account and start posting videos about blogging. With facebook you can post videos and articles. You could do interviews with other bloggers and discuss topics, problems, making money,,, and other issues that bloggers face.

I personally used some free forum software for a long time. After a year of trying to promote the site, I switch forum software and bought VBulletin. But then again I as serious about my project. It was something that I was willing to dedicate several years to building.

~kev~, Aug 21, 2009 IP
  3. typhoon

typhoon Active Member

Best Answers:
    I would say you can market your blog by making it rank good on Google.com for the keywords on which the forum is based. Make sure the keywords are of high search volumes or you can invest money and advertise it through blogs(I have one, see in my siggi), adwords etc.

You can also start contest which will help increase the readership of that forum like referral contest or top poster of the month.

Also I looked at you forum and I think you need an unique theme. That theme which you are using is a basic theme and people will think it's just another forum.

typhoon, Aug 21, 2009 IP
  4. WallaceYeung

WallaceYeung Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    IMO the design and content is very important before someone is willing to spend time to register an account at your forum,
    anyway i can find nothing...

WallaceYeung, Aug 21, 2009 IP
  5. lifeplayer

lifeplayer Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Quality and informative post is the key to attract member join and post. You need to input more informative content, then only marketing it with PPC

lifeplayer, Aug 21, 2009 IP
  6. shalwan

shalwan Banned

Best Answers:
    you need to advertise your websites on major websites then you will get traffic, try google adwords.

shalwan, Aug 21, 2009 IP
  7. AC-Coach

AC-Coach Peon

Best Answers:
    Promote it the same way you would with any site. You will start to build some followers if you can get it ranking in the SE's

AC-Coach, Aug 21, 2009 IP
  8. junvalasek

junvalasek Banned

Best Answers:
    Forums are one of the hardest sites to promote so before you jumped into its bandwagon, I hope you already knew the consequences... And how could you expect people to join in such a crappy empty forum with a free phpbb script? Not to bully you but I'm just frank...y ou are wasting your domain... VBulletin script will do and let me know if you need assistance..

junvalasek, Aug 21, 2009 IP
  9. myersdp

myersdp Peon

Best Answers:
    myersdp, Aug 21, 2009 IP
  10. sport302

sport302 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You really need to have a large following to get a forum up and running. An empty forum is a bad thing to display on a website or blog.

Create a following to your blog first and then introduce your forum idea to your followers.

sport302, Aug 21, 2009 IP
  11. whitey99

whitey99 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Promote the forum on other forums. Offer contests for referrals.

Write lots of posts yourself to the forum

whitey99, Aug 21, 2009 IP
  12. Davally

Davally Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi,

I agree with the posts. In my experience you need to offer more. I have tried to get a forum going, it takes time and effort. Why do you want this forum if I may ask, what is it getting you?

If I were you I would change the look, try to partner with someone in that niche and offer incentives to join.

As you may know most of those taking up spread betting are male, young to middle aged looking to make alot of money: your forum does not look like it attracts that type,

dave

Davally, Aug 22, 2009 IP
  13. mrpaisa

mrpaisa Guest

Best Answers:
    twitter is good for u

mrpaisa, Aug 22, 2009 IP
  14. rogerrnicholas

rogerrnicholas Peon

Best Answers:
    I have a better way. Use software that is compatible with USENET, and start a feed through USENET to your forum. You will have topics and people texting each other immediately. It will make your site look busy when it really isn't at the present time.

rogerrnicholas, Aug 22, 2009 IP
  15. ozwhiz

ozwhiz Peon

Best Answers:
    Promote on social media such as facebook, myspace and twitter.

ozwhiz, Aug 22, 2009 IP
  16. rirara

rirara Active Member

Best Answers:
    Pay some good writers to start popular topics. Invite some trolls. And advertise.

rirara, Aug 22, 2009 IP
  17. Mikouen

Mikouen Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I'd take it off the .co.uk, and then use some good software like vBulletin.. commission a custom vBulletin skin, then I would start a paid advertising campaign, and add adverts to the site. :)

Mikouen, Aug 22, 2009 IP
  18. XooX

XooX Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I really don't think VBulletin is some sort of magic pill that will immediately bring in a million new guys to your website. Well, any forum looks bland and empty to start with. I am really impatient guy myself and realized forum was not for me. But when I did own a forum, this is what I did and I was beginning to see some traction.

The website was education related - an offshoot for MBA discussions. I used a free forum script (something like PHPBB; whatever, the target audience did not know the difference)

The first week, I wrote valuable threads - something like 'How to..', 'Why choose MBA', etc. You can call them part blog. Nobody was going to post in immediately, but I created all these articles from teh admin account itself.

Meanwhile, there are some websites that offer cross-forum posting. At any point, there are lots of new forum owners. So, basically you guys cross post, so each of your forums looks like there is some activity. So, I started getting new threads from these guys, but it was not very value adding, because I presume they didnt have much idea about MBA

There was one very famous MBA forum where I was a regular. I started posting there with signature not to my home page, but to one of those blog-kind article pages. So, people started visiting them..still not too many new members..

Then a week or so later, I started posting some kind of controversial threads, something where everyone would like to take sides and talk. For example, 'Should the educational visas for Asians be cut in American MBA universities', and start off with an aggressive argument.Even if one two people write back, every other visitor would want to join and put his point.

At this point, I stopped the website..But the other new forum guys who started with me, kept moving on and in a year or so, their websites looked nice with lots of content. You have to keep writing to the old members asking them to come back..

XooX, Aug 22, 2009 IP
  19. theladyboo

theladyboo Peon

Best Answers:
    You'll need content. You can also pay forum posters to create the content for you. I don't believe it is that expensive to hire out.

theladyboo, Aug 22, 2009 IP
  20. formula

formula Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Hi and thanks all for the advices.

I know the website and the forum needs better design and I am working on it now.
    But I don't agree that phpbb is bad. In fact is one of the best free software out there. Why wordpress is good and phpbb is not? I am using it on my very popular F1 website (Hebrew) and no one complain!

Xoox thanks for sharing you experience!

formula, Aug 24, 2009 IP