1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Privacy Policy - Google SEO

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Cernus11, Aug 18, 2009.

I have been told that having a privacy policy in the footer of your site helps improve your credability to search engines such as Google. Apparently Google will treat your site with more respect and therefore rank you better if you have a well produced privacy policy.

Is this true in any way?

Thank you

Cernus11, Aug 18, 2009 IP
  2. sweta.singh.98

sweta.singh.98 Guest

Best Answers:
    ok nice information buddy......plz be in touch share these useful informaions

sweta.singh.98, Aug 18, 2009 IP
  3. Canonical

Canonical Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have never heard of such a thing regarding organic search rankings at Google. How would they know it was a link to a privacy policy? Do you think they have people checking pages for this? It would be VERY difficult to automate and still be fair. What if I use the link text "Legalese" or something else to link to my privacy policy. What if I nofollow the links to my privacy policy?

I think this is someone getting organic search confused with PPC, and the two are totally different. I think all adsense (and possibly adwords) advertisers are required to have a privacy policy on their pages but I have never heard of this being a factor for organic search. A LOT of mom and pop web sites and blogs do NOT have privacy policies and rank great.

I would doubt very seriously if there were any truth to this for organic search.

Canonical, Aug 18, 2009 IP
  4. MadIony

MadIony Peon

Best Answers:
    It is true ... i can't find the link to the article right now in my comp but i'm sure they will trust you.
    I suggest you to make some modification to any privacy policy you find on the net to make it unique and G will be looking with other eyes on you ;)

MadIony, Aug 18, 2009 IP
  5. Cernus11

Cernus11 Peon

Best Answers:
    If you find this article please link it to this thread. This sort of stuff is fairly unknown and it would be good to have a full explanation of how it works.

Cernus11, Aug 18, 2009 IP
  6. Dan Schulz

Dan Schulz Peon

Best Answers:
    Guys, Canonical hit the nail right on the head. If you don't want to believe him, that's fine. My upcoming personal site's revision will have a privacy policy, but it won't be for SEO reasons (because there aren't any) - it'll be for the peace of mind that it brings. I don't collect much, but I do gather things like IP addresses, hostnames, and of course email addresses and phone numbers.

And I'll want people to know that information's far more secure than the Federal Reserve Bank of New York -- or Fort Knox, KY for that matter.

Dan Schulz, Aug 19, 2009 IP
  7. Frank_WHH

Frank_WHH Peon

Best Answers:
    I read this also, i believe, on some level, that it can be true! Also talks about About pages, and contact pages

Frank_WHH, Aug 19, 2009 IP
  8. Natheen2000

Natheen2000 Peon

Best Answers:
    I never heard this. However, may be true as google looks for high authority. That would be plus point in google eyes. :)

Natheen2000, Aug 19, 2009 IP
  9. willybfriendly

willybfriendly Peon

Best Answers:
    Most of the sites that I have developed have a privacy policy and/or TOS that is bot-blocked in robots.txt. They do not have any apparent effect on rankings.

As Canonical and Dan Schulz have pointed out, there is no reason to believe they would increase rankings.

We almost need a snopes for SEO!

willybfriendly, Aug 19, 2009 IP
    Dan Schulz likes this.
  10. Dan Schulz

Dan Schulz Peon

Best Answers:
    But you are throwing away PageRank rather than letting them flow through to those pages and get recycled back to the other pages they link to.

11. onlinemarketer07

onlinemarketer07 Peon

Best Answers:
    The Privacy Policy is not SEO but it is just for Google Adsense purpose.. If you have Privacy Policy in your adsense blog or website, you can have a better adsense value for you ads and most advertisers will trust to advertise on your site or blog. Additionally, google will pay your clicks and that adsense things as much as possible..

onlinemarketer07, Aug 19, 2009 IP
  12. willybfriendly

willybfriendly Peon

Best Answers:
    Actually, Adsense requires a Privacy Policy, though they refuse to provide one or say what should be in it.

The reason is that Google is collecting data via the ad network on every visitor to the site. This, however, makes it mighty difficult for the webmaster to write a decent privacy policy since they have no control over what Google gathers or what they do with it.

WE have chosen to punt, as it were, by including the following wording, "We have relationships with other companies that we allow to place ads on our Web pages. As a result of your visit to our site, ad server companies may collect information such as your domain type, your IP address and click stream information. For further information, consult the privacy policies of: http://www.google.com/privacypolicy.html

The inclusion of the privacy policy has nothing to do with the amount one might make via adsense, except that the lack of a privacy policy could lead to one's termination from the program.

13. Dan Schulz

Dan Schulz Peon

Best Answers:
    I like that. May I borrow it please?

14. willybfriendly

willybfriendly Peon

Best Answers:
    No problemo...

Thanks for asking though;)

15. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    If it's a factor it's a very small factor. You see a lot of sites ranking without a privacy policy, and as Canonical suggested how can Google be sure if you have one.

dcristo, Aug 19, 2009 IP
  16. simohammed_sp

simohammed_sp Peon

Best Answers:
    What do you do when the site is NOT in English?

simohammed_sp, Aug 19, 2009 IP
  17. Gynew

Gynew Member

Best Answers:
    This is the money line.

Google factors into its rankings hundreds of different factors about your site, and it wouldn't surprise me in the least if having the term "Privacy Policy" on the site improved your rankings.

However as dcristo said, just because it does help, doesn't mean it helps much, and in the big scheme of things there are just far more important things that a site needs before a privacy policy when it comes to ranking well in Google.

Gynew, Aug 19, 2009 IP
  18. Alex777

Alex777 Peon

Best Answers:
    i never heard this too, but I think that this is true. I'll want read article about it :)

Alex777, Aug 20, 2009 IP
  19. Dan Schulz

Dan Schulz Peon

Best Answers:
    It's not true, Flex85.

Dan Schulz, Aug 20, 2009 IP
  20. yall

yall Peon

Best Answers:
    we are waiting for this. :D

yall, Aug 20, 2009 IP