1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to optimization forum?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by shulink, Aug 19, 2009.

I have a website and it has a forum. I got traffic from google to the main site let's say www.test.com. However, people are posting a lot content to my forum which is www.test.com/forum, but little traffic from google. Also, I have a blog on a different site that has less content than the forum but is getting a lot more traffic from google than the forum. Is forum harder to optimize than blog?

shulink, Aug 19, 2009 IP
  2. Codex-m

Codex-m Peon

Best Answers:
    No it is not, you should be proud, a lot of people post content in your forum so you will need to take advantage of it.

Here is my suggestion:
    1. Since it appears your site is new, you should save some link juice, you can put a rel=nofollow attribute to all external links in the forums. This should ensure that those link juices you have earned will distribute freely to your main site thus helping also the ranking of those non-forum pages.

2. Block unnecessary URLs in robots.txt , it is common in forum to have URL duplicate problems such as :

www.yoursite.com/forum?id=1 containing the same content with:
    www.yoursite.com/forum/thisthread

Do more research on this, and try to determine which URLs in your forum are canonicals.

I think this two are strong start points to optimize your forum.

Codex-m, Aug 19, 2009 IP
  3. Natheen2000

Natheen2000 Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, As usual get backlinks, then, offer DOFOLLOW signature to the users and apply some policies as DP does here. Then, you can control spammers and get more traffic. Announce to the world that you are offering DOFOLLOW signature link via participating in SEO forums, you will get hugeeeeee traffic :)
    I am sure about it.

Natheen2000, Aug 19, 2009 IP
  4. Codex-m

Codex-m Peon

Best Answers:
    As a start, a lot strategies will work. One dofollow link for loyal members. And unique award system for great posters.

Codex-m, Aug 19, 2009 IP
  5. shulink

shulink Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the good suggestions guys. My site is 1.5 year old, and the forum is nofollow. My blog is only 3 months old and google traffic is increasing. I used to spend a lot time promoting my site on directory, other forums and I hardly do any promotion for my blog. All I did is add a link (blog) to my site and write a blog entry in a few days. I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the forum software I use. It is called yetanotherforum, I can't use the any others because I need to use a c# for my forum. I'm trying to make it dofollow, but couldn't figure how to do it with the yetanotherforum. The blog is wordpress, I put a lot of plugins and the all in one seo package as well as auto sitemap.

shulink, Aug 19, 2009 IP